TR: Elk - Tues. 3/20/12

Rambo

Seems as though Elk Mtn. (northern Pa) probably would have closed at the end of the day on Sunday 3/18/12. Not due thin trail coverage but because not that many skier/riders are showing up. However they have a 100 ski days open gurantee to their seasons passholders. To make 100 days they have to stay open thru this Thursday. They are open tomorrow Wed. 3/21 and probably Thurs. 3/22. (I heard if they had closed after last Sunday they would have to refund/credit each passholder something like maybe $70.) All this info, I heard from Elk skiers so who knows if it is hard cold facts or not.

Anyways I took advantage of their special, which is a $25.00 weekday all day ticket, if you have a seasons pass to any other ski area. (the woman at the ticket counter said there was an additional option which was a morning only ticket for $20.00) I went for the $25.00 all day ticket.

I got out on the mountain at 9:20 am sharp and was amazed to find almost everything groomed. I did not think they could groom at the overnight low temp of like 50 degrees. (they said they are going to try and groom again Tues. night).

The skiing was great. Got above 70 degrees and only a little heavy/mushy/slushy. At about 3:00 pm the sun was around back off the slopes and the surface was firming up and getting fast.

Skied mainly 4 trails: Susquehanna, Slalom, Iroquois, and Tioga (an intermediate cruising trail). The Tunkhannock mogul field was open, but I did not ski it and have pics of it. Skiing was great.

Some pics:

003-4.jpg

007-2.jpg

Iroquois trail:

021.jpg

Slalom trail:

028-1.jpg

036.jpg

Tunkhannock mogul field:

047.jpg

050.jpg

054.jpg

070.jpg

• Like 1

Elk was pretty pissy this weekend, borderline dangerous with all the cave-ins and disconnected areas over to skiers left of the resort. They must have groomed like hell to make it as nice as the pics show. But yeah, some slopes were kickin' especially Tunk. That slope alone is worth the price of a ticket. You are correct about thursday being 100 days. I wrapped up my season Sunday and was hoping for a little kick back. Oh well, there's always next year!