TR - Snowridge NY - Fri. 2/1/13

Rambo

Cornhead and I skied Snowridge on Fri 2/1. Snowridge is located in Turin NY on the Tug Hill Plateau about 1.5 hours northeast of Syracuse NY. They often get decent dumpings of Lake effects snow off of Lake Ontario. Took about 3 hrs. from Binghamton. Snowed hard from Syracuse to Turin where Snowridge is located. While on the short stretch of NY Thruway saw a car in the opposite lanes go into a massive power slide and slide down into the median. Looked like the guy may have been able to drive it out. Went through Rome NY and Booneville. Seems like lots of snowmobiles in Booneville.

Got at Snowridge about 9:10 am and they opened the base lodge at 9:30. Lifts start at 10 am on weekdays. If you present a seasons pass from a New York ski area you get a lift ticket for $15. (normal rate for a weekday is $21 for 6 hours and $37 for a weekend ticket). They had 13" of fresh fluffy powder. Takes 5 minutes up the lift and about 2 minutes down the 500 ft. vertical. Did a lot of runs.

Cornhead was talking to a family that came down from Canada at lunch break. Also talked to a guy from Albany who tries to ski Snowridge after they get a dumping of lake effect snow from Lake Ontario.

Couldn't get the photos to work so here is a link to my post in Alpine Zone:

http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php/118339-Snowridge-Fri-2-1-13

If you can not see the photos try this report from New York Ski Blog:

http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Snowridge-Fri-2-1-13-tp4024284.html;cid=1360004441055-130

Edited by Rambo
  • Like 1

If you post on AlpineZone how about a free GSS!!! Welcome back Rambo!!!

I noticed that you sneak in there once in a blue moon with a user name like "dougie or douglas" or something.

Wrong I think that's Shadows. I haven't posted on AZ since I was banned.

The thing is that, this week would not be the best timing for me to do a Free GSS thread on Alp. Zone, because that Nick guy is busy with his Alpine Zone sumitt at Sugarloaf Maine this coming weekend. My friend Cornhead is going to that.

So I could do a Free GSS thread next week or the week after - better timing.

Your - What are you eating for lunch today??? thread is still going from 2007.

• Like 1

The lunch thread is the best thread on the site and do the free GSS thread whenever you want..

You don't ski the trees? WTF

I was skiing the trees, caught an edge and bounced off a tree... said never again, don't want to end up badly injured or like Sony Bono RIP.

I like skiing in the woods...I'm more nervous about walking down wooden stairs in my ski boots than any glades but to each their own. OK so I can't see the pictures on alpinezone cause I'm on my iPhone. Lame figure out a way to post them in this thread..

I guess, I have to upload my photos to photobucket so that I can get an URL designation for them then put them up.. will take a few minutes.

2nd group of pics:

Don't know why they came out so small on this forum

th_018_zpse5ef7a0e.jpg?t=1360016166

th_014_zps775db7b0.jpg?t=1360015964

th_015_zps92f0aeb1.jpg?t=1360016064

th_024_zps8b4bfc9f.jpg?t=1360016115

Groomer, grooming a pre-beginner slope near the base lodge.

We thought it was a rope tow, but it is a handle tow on a cable.

We tried the handle tow at the end of the day, for kicks.

You just ski up to it with your skis parallel to the

running cable and grab the handle.

My friend had his skis facing across the cable and grabbed the handle,

he was yanked right over hard onto his side. lol

th_005_zps1ac7f538.jpg?t=1360016267

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind a smaller mountain as a change of pace if it got a ton of powder and had some fun tree lines... Thanks for the TR Rambo!!!

We originally were either going to go to Hunter or Plattekill on Fri. I think if we went to Hunter they would have had their snowmaking system blasting away. I imagine on a cold day it would not have been enjoyable to get blasted in the face with those machine made snow crystals. It was snowing quite hard on the drive up, but just before we got there it cleared up and the sun came out for the day. Then 30 minutes after we left it was snowing again. This little Snowridge is just great if you can hit it after a good dumping of lake effects snow.

Nice pictures...looks like a good day for the Bacons!!!

GSS, do you have a pair of Line, Sir Francis Bacons? I understand they don't have any metal in them... I am a cruiser and wonder if they are stable at fast speeds with no layer of metal. I demoed the Line Prophet 100's and the newer 98's and they both have the layer of metal and are very stable at high speeds.

• Like 1

GSS, do you have a pair of Line, Sir Francis Bacons? I understand they don't have any metal in them... I am a cruiser and wonder if they are stable at fast speeds with no layer of metal. I demoed the Line Prophet 100's and the newer 98's and they both have the layer of metal and are very stable at high speeds.

No he doesn't. He just thinks he's funny by saying that since those of us who have them, love them. He couldn't ski on something like that since he doesn't know how to fucking turn on skis.

• Like 1