Killington upgrades trails from green to blue

RootDKJ

PJdgPgZ.jpg

Sometimes The Beast can be tough to get around - after all, seven peaks means a lot of terrain. We'll be adding additional way-finding signage this year, including ‘Easier Routes’ in both green circle and blue square categories so no one gets stuck outside of their comfort zone. Expect some blue square signage on fourteen old green circle trails from Frolic to Great Northern. Get acquainted with the 2014-15 Trail Map now!

http://www.killington.com/site/culture/blog/authors/killington/beast-news-trails-snowguns-signs

Most obvious is Great Northern is now a blue intermediate trail down to the base of Snowdon where it becomes green to Ramshead base.
Mouse Run, Killink, MTS, Royal Flush on Snowdon Peak.  Upper Bear Trax, Skyewalker, Upper Pipe Dream, Escape, Juggernaut, Solitude, SSassafrasoff Killington peak are also now intermediate rated trails.

Killington and Snowdon peak no longer have any green terrain.  Ramshead, Skye, and Bear still do.
14/15 trail map http://www.killington.com/site/mountain/trail_map/W14-15_Killington_Trail_Guide_web.pdf
13/14 trail map https://skimap.org/data/211/7/1382470606.pdf

I can't recall the last time a resort changed trail ratings.  I think I understand why they did this.  Someone usually gets seriouslly injured (or worse) on GN every season.  Any attempt to cut down on the amount of gapers on Snowdon is a good idea.  Juggernaut, Solitude, Sassafras, wow just wow.  I haven't skied those in over a decade but I'm smh at those.  Frolic too for that matter.

• Like 1

Not sure about the update to frolic, but juggernaut should be a double black. It's the dumbest, most boring trail there aside from sunrise, and you need to be in marathon running shape to ski it because about half of it seems like you're actually going uphill. It'd probably be a great xc trail though!

• Like 1

It was insane. It crossed so many high speed trails. I watched a 5 year old get tackled at 30 plus miles an hour halfway down a black/double black high speed cruiser one of my first trips to K-Mart. I couldn't see if he was still alive.

That being said, it was definitely a lifesaver to get back to the base. Even on a snowboard I could appreciate that fact.

I believe they covered the entrance with trees and did the same on the crossover trails. I tried to find it last season, but I had no luck.