Cheating Death

Romeo

Cannot cheat death.... if you ski you will die.....I had a friend who once smoked four whole marijuanas and then peeled his skin off and fed it to his dog.....Ban the devils cabbage !!!!

Seriously though if you ski long enough shit is bound to happen, the stuff you can see coming is generally ok, there are ways to take a fall and ways to deal with falls in sketch ball areas. It's the random shit that comes from hubris, inattentive behavior that is gonna cause death. Then there is just random shit you can't do nothing about.

I know everyone out there has story so post that shit up and make this thread interesting.

I was at Brighton many moons ago dicking around inbetween Millicent and Crest Express, if you know that area it's a fucking playground of rock formations. If you take the high traverse across scree and do a short walk you hit this area with a solid 30ft and a narrow ass rock chute. I wanted the fucking chute, like straight line shit, cousin has the camera so Kodak courage is going 110%.

Access is shit, little platform not wide enough for the boards, I don't fucking care I'm gonna jump turn in. Billionth of a second later the right ski hits the wall of the chute and goes flying, FUCK. I didn't even blink lifted the leg up and straightlined that bitch on one board, never even felt the 3-4ft drop about 3/4 way down. Hit the run out and I'm fucking having a heart attack realizing what just happened. Had you asked me ahead of time I don't think I would have been able to ski that on one leg but the body is interesting when you have no choice.

I should have blasted my head off any number of things, I should probably at best broken something and at worst been a vegetable but that's life and now I got this sweet picture to laugh about.

RXGBCmA.jpg

I hit that chute last year. It looked way less rad when I did it though.

Sketchiest thing I've ever gotten myself into? Probably dropping skiers right on flatiron out of bounds at canyons with no avi gear or really any concept of avi conditions at the time. Trees skied great, had some knee deep turns then it opens up a bit. Keep hanging right and you get to some small cliffs. I lined up a little finger off a 5-6 footer. Took a check turn before I was ready to drop it and it broke loose above me so I just pointed it and hoped for the best. Not a big slide by any means but enough slough to be scary when you're OB in somewhat unfamiliar terrain. I try and be a little bit less stupid now. I believe flatiron boasts the most people caught in avalanches per year in the US just because of how ridiculously easily accessible it is. I have video of it somewhere, maybe I'll try and find it.

• Like 1

When I was at whistler way back in 1999 I ducked a rope into a powder filled area well it just so happens there was a rope due to lots of cliffs. I was above the cliffs and had no clue how high they were or the landings. To take my skis back off and hike up would have been quite the task as the snow was a couple feet deep. I was genuinely shit my pants nervous. Anyway after some time above the cliffs there were people below and I asked how high the cliff was and they said about ten meters. Damn metric system. Anyway there was a slightly smaller drop to the side and I hit it and it was like 3-2-1 then everything went dark i made a bathtub sized hole both skis ejected goggles flew off..total yard sale but the landing was soft. Could have been way way worse.

At bridger bowl I was traversing into a sketchy section of north bowl with lots of rocks and got a little out of control off some whoop dee dos and skied into the uphill slope to try and kill speed and I ended up falling backwards and luckily didnt hit any rocks. Took probably a half hour to find my one ski and I only found it cause I stepped on it. Sketch city

Back in college we had a ski Vermont discussion list party and bypass to the skiers left of nosedive was closed well I told the group lets poach it. At moderate speed I ducked under the very solid rope..not like the ones at blue but more stable. Well my limbo skills from the fun rink were not up to par and my forehead caught the role and I got clotheslines..full sprawled out yardsale...but I opened the run and there were a solid two dozen people who witnessed this...could have been really bad if my neck hit the rope.

Even at Blue this last weekend I was passing people on the right on paradise before the sharp turn and my right ski got off the trail and went down like a foot but I'm an agile mofo and recovered. That could have been a spectacular fall.

• Like 1

I hit that chute last year. It looked way less rad when I did it though.

Sketchiest thing I've ever gotten myself into? Probably dropping skiers right on flatiron out of bounds at canyons with no avi gear or really any concept of avi conditions at the time. Trees skied great, had some knee deep turns then it opens up a bit. Keep hanging right and you get to some small cliffs. I lined up a little finger off a 5-6 footer. Took a check turn before I was ready to drop it and it broke loose above me so I just pointed it and hoped for the best. Not a big slide by any means but enough slough to be scary when you're OB in somewhat unfamiliar terrain. I try and be a little bit less stupid now. I believe flatiron boasts the most people caught in avalanches per year in the US just because of how ridiculously easily accessible it is. I have video of it somewhere, maybe I'll try and find it.

That was in December real low tide conditions.

Avy stuff is super super scary because it's generally slow enough that you have time to think about it. I think everyone who's ever been at Canyons has at least thought about venturing out there.

Blue is sometimes the scariest place on earth, my most painful beater was at Bear Creek and it wasn't in the park lol

• Like 2

Scariest for me was I launched a mid sized rock outcrop on Blackcomb with a very steep run in into a deep powder landing.  Was trying to go back 3 but didn't quite make it all the way around.  Landed sideways and just bomb holed.  Next thing I know a ton of sluff is pour down over me and buried me completely.  Just needed to stand up to get out of it but that scared the shit out of me.

Scariest for me was I launched a mid sized rock outcrop on Blackcomb with a very steep run in into a deep powder landing.  Was trying to go back 3 but didn't quite make it all the way around.  Landed sideways and just bomb holed.  Next thing I know a ton of sluff is pour down over me and buried me completely.  Just needed to stand up to get out of it but that scared the shit out of me.

Tree wells too, that initial feeling just makes your brain go to panic mode

• Like 1

Best Anti-Injury Advice I could give to anyone is to never ever call last run. "Come on man, one last lap through the park then we can do rattler to cannonball and ride up to the car"  sent me directly to the hospital last season. 

Best Anti-Injury Advice I could give to anyone is to never ever call last run. "Come on man, one last lap through the park then we can do rattler to cannonball and ride up to the car" sent me directly to the hospital last season.

Wow just wow. How have you been Schif??

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

Wow just wow. How have you been Schif??

I'm alright, injury is all but gone now, real busy with work lately, lots of traveling for that, and for fun too. Hopefully I see all of you guys at Blue soon, this season is getting off to a really slow start for me so far but hopefully I'll get in the swing soon and start traveling more this year. 

• Like 1

Have you fallen in a tree well before? I know several years back, Matt Stunts dad died in a tree well at Steamboat.

One time head first, ski was caught in the tree branches and pinned my legs sort of behind my head. Scary as fuck when all that snow starts pouring in around your face but if you just do nothing your generally ok, once I took 20 seconds to chill the fuck out I could unhook the skis and sort of climb up the tree trunk.

Cannot cheat death.... if you ski you will die.....I had a friend who once smoked four whole marijuanas and then peeled his skin off and fed it to his dog.....Ban the devils cabbage !!!!

Seriously though if you ski long enough shit is bound to happen, the stuff you can see coming is generally ok, there are ways to take a fall and ways to deal with falls in sketch ball areas. It's the random shit that comes from hubris, inattentive behavior that is gonna cause death. Then there is just random shit you can't do nothing about.

This right here. The average skier fatality is a 37 year old expert male on blue terrain.

I know everyone out there has story so post that shit up and make this thread interesting.

Maybe I'll post a story or two later. I have a limit on how much I can type in a day a Steeze pushed me over the limit playing 50 questions in another thread already.

I was at Brighton many moons ago dicking around inbetween Millicent and Crest Express, if you know that area it's a fucking playground of rock formations. If you take the high traverse across scree and do a short walk you hit this area with a solid 30ft and a narrow ass rock chute. I wanted the fucking chute, like straight line shit, cousin has the camera so Kodak courage is going 110%.

Access is shit, little platform not wide enough for the boards, I don't fucking care I'm gonna jump turn in. Billionth of a second later the right ski hits the wall of the chute and goes flying, FUCK. I didn't even blink lifted the leg up and straightlined that bitch on one board, never even felt the 3-4ft drop about 3/4 way down. Hit the run out and I'm fucking having a heart attack realizing what just happened. Had you asked me ahead of time I don't think I would have been able to ski that on one leg but the body is interesting when you have no choice.

I should have blasted my head off any number of things, I should probably at best broken something and at worst been a vegetable but that's life and now I got this sweet picture to laugh about.

RXGBCmA.jpg

Epic. Wow.

You have a much better chance of dying on the drive to and fr the slopes vs the actual skiing and riding. I know I've hit at least high 70s on some of the Jackson hole blue trails...I just make sure I don't fall when skiing those speeds.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_22820133/colorado-skiers-die-groomed-blue-runs-after-hitting