Glacier National Park

sibhusky

Well, I've been so busy working to pay off a car repair bill that I haven't had the time for hiking much this summer. However, yesterday I undertook a moderately strenuous to strenuous (depending on the book you read -- all I know is the ranger told us that anyone with health problems should not be on this hike) hike in Glacier. 10.3 miles long, 2000 feet up, 3000 feet down. Frankly, the group I was with were all either longer legged than I or out to prove something. I wasn't hearing my heartbeat in my head or anything, but I was certainly holding them all up!!!! I was in slomo or something!!! But, I did survive and got some great shots. I've split them into four posts so that your downloads won't be as long. There are far more pictures of the route down (I'm good at down -- must be the skiing) than the route up.

Siyeh001.JPG

Siyeh002.JPG

Siyeh003.JPG

Siyeh004.JPG

Siyeh005.JPG

Siyeh006.JPG

The white stalk-y things are beargrass. They only bloom every three to seven years. Plants in the same area are generally all going to bloom at once and then the following years they just look like grass bunches.

:drool  :drool  :drool

Simply breath taking. What are the plants in the 3rd picture. Looks like about 200 feet of hikeable vert in the last couple shots in the 3rd post.

30106[/snapback]

That's a glacier, full of crevasses. Not for walking, even assuming you wanted to scramble up the loose talus, etc. to get to it.

I immediately thought of hiking up with skis...

Was the Siblet or Mr. Husky with you? I see someone, but can't tell if it is her.

Your pics get better and better. Keep them coming.

Sibby, why not start a card company? Tourists would pay a lot for a box of pretty cards with pics like those.

It is "snow" in the sense it's frozen water -- a glacier.

Using a Canon PowerShot S30.

I went with a ranger-led group of 15, none of whom were related to me, but I did go with a fellow skier.