Mount Snow Feb.12 and 13

Mess

Awesome trip to Mount Snow last week.  Went to the mountain with my wife and 2 of our friends. It was the first trip without the kids for almost 7 years. So nice to eat without the kids fighting crying and yelling.  

We arrived in West Dover at 9:00 Wednesday night and went to our go to restaurant, The Last Chair, for a beer and Nachos.  Checked in at the Snow Lake Lodge around 10:30.  Not a 5 star hotel but the location and price were perfect for a getaway.  $69 a person which included our lift ticket.  We also paid $30 extra for the suite.  Hotel was loud since 200 high school kids were there for the night and we heard every door open and slam until about midnight and started back up at 7:00.  I didn't mind the 7:00 as I planned to get to the mountain early.

Feb. 12

Snow had started early in the morning and continued all day.  23 degrees on the mountain.  It was a perfect day.  Probably my best ski experience ever.  We used the bluebird express bubble lift to start the day.  First run was Ridge.  This might be my favorite trail on the mountain.  Snow was perfect.  It is funny how an intermediate trail in Vermont is steeper than most black diamonds in the Poconos.  My wife and I met our friends at the bottom of Ridge.  They had started on the green, Long John.  Next run was was Cascade to Canyon.  It was definitely becoming a powder day.  At this point there was an inch over the groomed trails.  I suggested a break at the summit lodge and as soon as everyone agreed, I decided to meet them after a run on the North Face trail Fallen Timbers.  This is a fun groomed Black Diamond.  Most of the trails on North Face were bumped up.  We then took a break in the lodge for a coffee and a chocolate chip cookie.  After the break we decided to bring the women down River Run so they could take the lift up the North Face and see the trails.  At the top of the lift we headed to Sunbrook and went down Sunspot to Thanks Walt.  I love the sun brook area as it is generally empty.  This is the first time that I ever saw the Sunbrook quad running.  On the lift ride up everyone decided it was time for Lunch.  we took Ridge to the lodge and ate lunch at Cuzzins.  I had a Long trail ale and shock top that my wife didn't finish.  After lunch the snow total was about 2-3 inches.  The girls were feeling good after a beer so we went down Lodge.  They all handled the trail with no problem.  My next 2 runs were Fallen timbers and Chute on the North Face.  Legs were burning so the day was almost over.  Girls went down long John to finish the day.  My buddy and I went down Exhibition to hit some small moguls.  I had my first fall after launching off of a mogul.  It was pretty funny.  Went back and sat in the outdoor hot tub.  Temperatures were dropping and the wind was picking up.

Feb. 13

-35 degrees when we woke up with wind chill.  Legs were sore as shit so we took our time getting to mountain.  Got on Mountain at noon when the temperature was 0 and -13 wind chill.  We decided to have quality over quantity today and take breaks after each run to avoid frost bite.  The lodge was very crowded.  Over 6000 people took advantage of the valentines special $24.50 lift ticket.  Coldest time was waiting to get on Bluebird express.  Our first run was on South Bowl and I realized this was going to be a difficult day for the girls.  Conditions were packed powder/icy and fast as shit.  The girls froze up on the trail.  The snow the day before did not allow them to see how steep the trails were.  The clear skies and speed really unnerved them.  After a few falls, by my friends wife we got down the trail and headed back in the lodge.  Our friends decided to go on the green trails, so my wife and I took Cascade to over brook.  This was the run of the day.  Overbrook is a natural trail.  We were able to find soft snow that had been tracked out but it was fun and a leg burner.  Our next run was cascade to Snow Dance.  Snow dance was a fun, wide trail.  It was perfectly groomed and I was having fun doing giant slalom turns.  My wife called it a day so I wanted 1 more run.  I met my friends and headed to Ridge.  The wind had blown a lot of snow off of the trail and I was shocked to be skiing one of the steeper parts of the trail and realizing it was a sheet of ice.  After 2 inches of snow in 10 days on the mountain I was not expecting ice and almost fell on the trail.  Although I only had 4 runs it was a great day even in the frigid temperatures.  Looking forward to Okemo in 3 weeks.

I am 39.She mentioned letting me go out west for my 40th.  Just don't know if I can afford it.  Real excited to ski with my father, wife and son at Okemo.  Skiing is a great family activity.

You should go out west for your 40th...the blacks at mount snow are blues out west. I'm 35 anyway again nice report...

• Like 1

I am 39.

She mentioned letting me go out west for my 40th. Just don't know if I can afford it. Real excited to ski with my father, wife and son at Okemo. Skiing is a great family activity.

Start saving now, you will not regret it!