Okemo 3/6-3/7

Mess

We were supposed to head up on Thursday but snowstorm and fear of icy roads pushed our trip back to Friday.  I was pretty excited driving up route 100.  Pretty awesome seeing Bromley and Magic on our way up.  Arrived in Ludlow around 6:00 on Friday.  Ludlow is a cool little New England town.  We stayed at the Timber Inn.  Pretty nice room with great views of Okemo. 

On saturday we arrived at Okemo at 7:40 and were on the lift at 8:15.  The lodge and Mountain were crowded.  We found out that t was the winter festival for the Connecticut Ski Association and they brought an estimated 6,000 people to the mountain.  Our first two runs were nice.  We took the Sunburst 6 bubble to the summit.  My son turned to me in line and said, "the ride was worth it for these upgrades."  The heated seats were nice especially with a temperature of 17 degrees and a light snow.  Conditions were awesome.  Our first run was on the green trail Sunburst, Coleman brook to Mountain road.  It was a long nice run with great views.  Our second run was intermediate trail Saphire.  This was a really nice wide trail and we had the trail to ourselves.  This was the last run without a crowd.  My wife, son and father took a break at the summit lodge and I took a run down black diamond Defiance.  It was a nice trail that skied like an intermediate trail.  After that I met up with the group and we took a run down Sunburst to Heavens Gate.  Trail was very crowded and my son had his first fall.  He was a little shaken so we finished down Mountain road which was a shit show at this point.  I felt like I was driving on 95 near New York City.  We stopped for lunch and checked out my son at the mid mountain lodge.  After that break we thought we would try to avoid crowds on the south face and do green trail Dreamweaver.  There was no avoiding the crowds.  This trail was steeper and more crowded than the other trails we had been on.  My dad called it quits for the day and took Mountain road back to the base lodge.  We headed to Jackson Gore area on Blue moon to Lower Limelight.  My quads were screaming after this run.  We sat outside of a crowded Jackson Gore lodge for a few minutes.  As everyone rested I went back out and took a run down vortex and quantum leap these were nice steep trails. Probably my best run of the day except my quads felt like Jelly.  We skied our way back to the base area to meet my dad.  I went out for one more run down upper fall line to ledge.  These were both nice steep trails.  I picked up a lot of speed on ledge in the easy way skiers right of the mogul field.

We skied sunday from 8:30-12:30.  Crowds were much more manageable and the mountain was much more enjoyable.  We used the sunburst 6 for our first 2 runs.  My wife and son decided they wanted to do Defiance.  It was pretty cool as this was there first Vermont Black Diamond.  They were both very proud after the run.  We then took Jolly Green Giant down the face of the mountain.  We then took a bunch of intermediate runs in the solitude are.  It was a nice are of the mountain and the snow was great.  Sidewinder got really crowded as a green ran into it and there were a lot of people who did not belong on the trail.  worked our way to south face to ride down Rim rock an catnap.  Catnap was a mistake as it was mostly skating and cross country skiing.  Funniest part of the trail was when my son saw a guy hit a bump and get air and he follows the guy and gets some air himself.  

Okemo was a fun mountain especially on day 2 with smaller cows and after we became more familiar with the mountain.  I would tell anyone with younger kids that this is a great family friendly mountain.

IMG_0494.MOV

• Like 1

Great report.

We did Okemo for a few years with another family when son was younger, but ready for bigger than PA mountains.

We thought it was a great family area for them as it had a wide range of slopes for different skill sets.

When the kid starts to get bored of Okemo, Killington Skyship gondola is only like 40 mins up the road.