Christines Hill 3-13-15

indiggio

Hey all,

I just got back from a fun session at Christines Hill, the only mountain! I arrived at the hill just after 7pm after having stuffed flounder and seafood genevieve over linguini.  Temps were in the low 40s and overcast, which made for pretty warm conditions.  I was expecting more of a crowd, but I guess with it being Friday the 13th, people were reluctant to try their hand at such a terrifying slope.  The surface was natural snow, human-groomed, wet granular.  I was expecting it to be a bit faster, but I can't complain for mid March and also the price.

After booting up in the lodge, well house, I made my way out to slopes to find it virtually empty.  I was really wound up to try the main chute, but started out mid-mountain to test the snow conditions.  First run was mid hill down to just above the dosing tank.  Snow was VERY soft and carveable.  After a few more runs down mid, I was ready to hike to the main chute and what a hike it was.  By the time I got to the summit, I was sweating bullets and darkness was approaching fast.   

There isn't much room at the summit and had to get the skis on carefully.  Unfortunately my right binding would lock and I toppled over.  Luckily the soft snow caught me and I didn't go down any further.  After getting my bearings, I made my way down the chute, what an exhilarating experience as this part of the hill has never been open before due to lack of snow (and interest).

Next I headed over to the park where some jibhonks had set up a jump.  I made a few runs over the jump, but it needed a lot of work and with time running out, I didn't feel like helping build it up.

Darkness set in pretty quick and with no night skiing, I peaced-out around 7:30 after getting in about 10 runs and went into the lodge to grab some liquid refreshments and relax.  

Hopefully the snow will survive for another visit, but with an inch of rain predicted and already a lot of thin spots showing, I'm not holding out much hope.

b5249a909fe3830bb468179018061349.jpg
Heading down mid-hill run

74e717d419c1393ab49c283990a7c742.jpg
Down by the glades

d05768d8ec766c76e22a040ae624f6cb.jpg
Hiking to the main chute

db517c9eed059c2d7ea479103acd4da6.jpg
Wicked fast, technical run!

fe56099b3274eef72e4e8fe7914c5534.jpg
Après ski refreshment.
  • Like 7