Heading to Shawnee tomorrow

Ski2Live Live2Ski

Assuming the weather holds out, heading up there with my 2 kids tomorrow. They have a green TTB run, 2 blue TTB runs, and a black run on the bottom half. They rarely get to more then a 5 minute lift line even on weekends, so it should make for a fun day skiing with my girls. Their day 2, my day 5 for the skison.

If anyone else makes it out, I am the guy with a tan helmet, black pants and jacket and white poles, with 2 girls in green and purple helmets. Come say hi.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski

• 5 weeks later...

At Shawnee with kids yesterday. As crowded as I have seen it there, but lines never got over 10 minutes on HSQ with under 5 on other lifts. Pretty good conditions overall considering. All trails still open but getting narrow and shallow. Getting worried about how long we will be skiing this year.

• 4 weeks later...

Back at Shawnee today. Trails getting narrow and not real deep but still great skiing surface everywhere. Blue skies and minimal lines. Kids doing all the blacks without any spills, ready too move on to tougher hills next season. Most skiing the kids have done in a day so far too: 13 runs for close to 8000 vertical feet.

• 2 weeks later...

To be fair I was consuming bandwidth that could have been used for photos of Swift, feuds with ski instructors, or lists of buffets and fast food places.

In other words, things people would rather talk about more than Shawnee!

Just kidding. Actually had planned on hitting a day up there this year but got bit by the short season. I'm sure I'll check them out next year.

How is Shawnee compared to Blue? Any runs that rival switchback or razors?? Last time I was there was the summer of 1988 I went to Shawnee place with camp log and twig.

It doesn't compare in terms of challenge (though it has runs at least as hard as Switchback is when groomed). There are rarely bumps, it has less vertical, and where there are steep sections there is never a sustained drop of more than 300 feet.

It does have lots of trees in play when there is good coverage, it is a great place for skiing with kids (mine can do every trail there now, but still find the blacks challenging), and their peak lift lines are well under 5 minutes, compared with more like 20 at Blue. It is also 15 minutes closer to me and lets kids under 46" ski free. All reasons it has been my go to place for skiing with kids.

My ranking:

Montage

Camelback - Blue tie, prefer Blue weekdays and CB weekends

Frost

Shawnee

(Almost never bother with Elk as I'd rather hit Hunter at that distance and price and BB is basically only if all else is closed or for variety after a few hours at JF)

But throw kids in and Shawnee goes to #1

Montage is one of my least favorites. Hate the layout, slow lifts and short runs unless you ride two lifts plus they don't have any steep top to bottom runs. Last time I skied montage in 2008 was with Melissa. Took me 5 hours to ski the vert I ski at blue in two hours. Doubt I'll ever be back.

My ranking

Blue

camelback

Jack Frost

Big Boulder

montage

tangle wood

Elk I only skied at twice in 1995 doubt I'll ever go back hate the slow lifts and it's far and bear creek I went to once in 1995 and doubt I'll be back except for the disco fries or a private lesson with mandie.

The argument for Montage - based on skiing off the Phoebe Snow lift

White Lightning and Boomer are the most challenging terrain in NEPA (WL is the steepest and Boomer generally has real nice naturally formed bumps)

Doesn't get skied off for a long time

Never a lift line even on holiday weekends

Nice glades

$29 morning tix on weekends, and they normally let you ski a good past the cut off time with them.

Only real down side is the extra drive. Slow Phoebe Snow lift is more than made up for by absence of lines.

Montage is one of my least favorites. Hate the layout, slow lifts and short runs unless you ride two lifts plus they don't have any steep top to bottom runs. Last time I skied montage in 2008 was with Melissa. Took me 5 hours to ski the vert I ski at blue in two hours. Doubt I'll ever be back.

My ranking

Blue

camelback

Jack Frost

Big Boulder

montage

tangle wood

Elk I only skied at twice in 1995 doubt I'll ever go back hate the slow lifts and it's far and bear creek I went to once in 1995 and doubt I'll be back except for the disco fries or a private lesson with mandie.

Really BB over Montage? I have never found much there that is remotely challenging.

Where is Tanglewood. Does it still exist?

Why is this in a thread from early January holy batman.

Big Boulder park trail is a great run and big Boulder also opens early. Plus I like the parking lot. When discussing PA ski areas challenge gets thrown out of the equation as there isn't any challenging terrain in PA

White lightning is steep but it's not hard..it's like a 25 second run where razors is a solid minute. Length of run matters a lot to me.

Tanglewood is east of Scranton I don't think it exists anymore. I was there for an ASRA race in 2006 and their race run is fun with a compression area which is technical.

Ok substitute exhilerating for challenging. I am sure it is challenging for some, and the glades along side it would be challenging for many, myself included.

As to why this is in a thread from January, I just posted the Shawnee update in the most recent Shawnee thread. Then you chose to initiate a whole discussion of the merits of my comments and the ski area.