Hey bump skiers!!!!

GrilledSteezeSandwich

Huh - years ago, I remember this being on challenge.  They do it on the learning slope now?

Regardless, if I don't go to Vt this weekend, maybe I'll do this with my daughter.

Are they doing this thing on upper school hill again?!

That's a shame.

Huh - years ago, I remember this being on challenge.  They do it on the learning slope now?

From what I'm told, there are a number of reasons why it's taking place on the learning slope.

Having it on a slope far less steeper than Challenge allows for children to participate safely and build interest is one of them.

We're constantly requesting that it be held on old Raceway, but they say the mountain doesn't want to close a slope for the event.

Edited by indiggio
  • Like 1

From what I'm told, there are a number of reasons why it's taking place on the learning slope.

Having it on a slope far less steeper than Challenge allows for children to participate safely and build interest is one of them.

We're constantly requesting that it be held on old Raceway, but they say the mountain doesn't want to close a slope for the event.

AKA Widow Maker.

They won't hold it on a trail with so much pow anyway.

• Like 3

That would be a good choice.  

When they had it on challenge - I think it was challenge.... - they didn't close the whole slope.  They gated off the skiers left side of the trail and let it bump up nicely.  

Makes sense RE: getting the kids involved.

Well, looks like Vermont got destroyed yesterday, so I'm gonna see if my daughter wants to do this.

That would be a good choice.

They had it on there a couple of years back, turned out great, save the conditions.

They never seem to get good weather, always concrete bumps.

Since it's less steep than Challenge, more kids took part.

When they had it on challenge - I think it was challenge.... - they didn't close the whole slope.  They gated off the skiers left side of the trail and let it bump up nicely.

Makes sense RE: getting the kids involved.

The times they had it on Challenge, the run was incredibly hard and people got injured on the jumps.

I recall trying to break up the landings so that there was some semblance of soft landing, but nothing helped.

Most kids didn't even want to attempt the run on Challenge.

It's crazy that this mogul race is free. I still don't get how there's enough pitch for a mogul run on school hill.

It's more of an interest in moguls event than an actual competition.

Pitch is pretty bad. Hopefully they'll blow a big mound at the top so you don't have to push your way down.

With an easy course will be tougher for Chris and flying Johnny to destroy the competition.

They won't even bother, maybe Johnny's kid will compete.

Haven't seen Chris all that much this year up at Blue.

Have to say, this is conversation isn't making me want to do it...

also - crowd predictions for this weekend?  After that rain, maybe skiing is off everyone's mind?

I expect moderate crowds at best. Presidents weekend has passed and most natural snow is gone..plus it's gonna be about 50 degrees this weekend. Bumps should be nice and soft with overnight lows only getting down to around freezing.

I don't think Chris ever had a hand in it other than competing.The comp was all Johnny's doing.Now it's actually the BMR that's responsible for it.

Yeah and I heard that blue was butt hurt when the event was called flying johnnys bump competition. I actually only saw flying Johnny once last season at blue. I think he's mostly at bear creek since he lives in Barto.

Who is flying johnny?

But more importantly, will the event be fun for my kid?  Will she just get one run down the bumps?  Lots of standing around?

I'm in a fairly bitter mood, having just cancelled VT for the third time this season.  A fun contest could be just we need, but if it's going to be kind of lame and Blue is jammed, I'll just be even more depressed.

I might take up squash.  Totally weather independent.  And we have nice squash courts nearby. 

He's the guy on the left. post-512-0-66872100-1455727677_thumb.jpeg

Who is flying johnny?

But more importantly, will the event be fun for my kid?  Will she just get one run down the bumps?  Lots of standing around?

I'm in a fairly bitter mood, having just cancelled VT for the third time this season.  A fun contest could be just we need, but if it's going to be kind of lame and Blue is jammed, I'll just be even more depressed.

I might take up squash.  Totally weather independent.  And we have nice squash courts nearby.

Well your kid will get more runs in the bumps during the practice but I think if she's a bump enthusiast she'll have more fun just skiing Barneys bumps and the bumps on nightmare for fun and not being judged. Most bump competitions are two runs.

Yesterday's rain didn't hurt Vermont that bad. By the weekend major runs up there should be resurfaced. You have to realize that in a normal ski season Vermont has consistently worse conditions than PA due to all the freeze thaws and brutal cold. Where were you planning on skiing in Vermont???