2/26/16

enjoralas

Had a great day today at Blue skiing with my dad and a guy from work. Arrived at about 9:30 to the upper lodge to find no windows open and tickets being sold out of the rental center only, but after standing in line for about 10 minutes we spotted them line a few people up in the cattle chutes out at the window so we jumped over. Procured season pass and were on the snow by about 10.

They had a bunch of the fan guns blowing all day, and it seemed like the snow they were blowing out was very sticky. It made Vista and Paradise a bit of a challenge, as I found I'd be skiing along and hit some of the sticky snow and slow down so much a few times I almost pitched over face first. Worked through I and just avoided those trails for most of the day. Conditions on other trails ranged from soft and sugary, especially in turns, to hard with some small marbles on some others.

Really ratcheted up the ambitions in today's session. After running a Vista to Burma to get a feel for conditions we jumped on the six and headed back to the top. Main St chair didn't open until about 11 or 11:30. Took a trip down Paradise, then back up for a run down Lazy. Top half of Lazy was probably the run of the day, I thought the conditions were just awesome. From the 180 down to the double double was a little softer and chewed up, but nothing terrible. Next up was Paradise to Dreamweaver, another nice run although my dad had some trouble with the weaver.

Another Lazy run and we noticed the double was open, took it to the top and I decided to try some new to me terrain so went down upper half of Widowmaker and popped out to meet my dad and we ran Burma while my co-worker broke off to run some more advanced terrain before lunch. Had a couple minute wait for my dad which was good because it gave me a chance to get all the snow out of my jacket pockets from the chest deep powder on Widowmaker.

My dad's heel was bothering him (apparently an old tennis injury that flares up) after he tweaked it in a fall on Dreamweaver. We popped in to the shop in the Valley and picked him up a footbed in hopes that the better heel cup would help, he said it did. 40% off too, nice. Ran Lazy and we decided to cruise down Lower Sidewinder, that was a mistake. Giant sugar piles in the turns, pops wiped out good on one of them, and then again on the first of the 3 rollers. I felt bad for suggesting that route.

Headed into lunch at Slopeside. After the usual calamari app I had the South Philly Special, roast pork sandwich. Can't reccomend it. It was messy, which I expected with the generous helping of jus, but the pork felt like a deli meat rather than fresh carved, there was no bitterness in the broccoli rabe (and the stems on it were way too big) and in addition the Provolone was not sharp. It wasn't horrible but there are better options.

After lunch we took the Vista lift back up and split up again, with pops going Vista to Burma and we went Widowmaker to Little Gap to catch him halfway down Burma. Came wound corner and he was getting back up from a fall after a confrontation with a sugar pile. Tweaked the heel again and he was done for the day. After that my coworker and I had about an hour left and hit it hard. Went Lazy to Falls, then Nightmare to Dreamweaver, Upper and Lower Main Street twice and finished with a run down Switchback. Since we had to take the Main St chair back up to get to th lodge we ran out the upper part of Widowmaker to the Connector cut. Just couldn't resist the titty deep.

Just a great day, major expansion of my comfort zone. According to Ski Tracks app set new personal highs for speed and steep. Looking forward to getting back out.

Sorry my shit is so long, I was a writer in a past life (journalism major) and tend to ramble.

• Like 5

Nice that you have an activity you can do with your dad!!! What kind of a journalist were you?? Like newspapers and magazines?? I'm friends with a few reporters!!!

Never made it a career, but I was a journalism major for two years at Penn State main before lack of funds forced me to drop out. Wrote for the paper while I was there though, it's a pretty impressive operation. I enjoyed doing it but print journalism is dead or dying, so not real sorry it didn't work out.