RMNP avalanche class

Barb

That's super sick, the classes are actually fun at least I think and now with some knowledge  your probably feeling more comfortable and capable in terrain.

Dynafit bindings take practice to get in and out of, nobody is good at it at first. Some people swear by the roll your foot line up one hole then rock straight back method but i could never get that to work great.

Shovel makes a huge difference, I know that sounds goofy but it really does. Metal blades weight a bit more but abs can and does break. The flatness and size of the blade also makes crafting the faces in shovel shear alot easier. I like the BD deploy 7, the shovel your using looks like the handle is kind of short, no offense intended what so ever, maybe its just the picture but the length of the handle makes a huge difference, its a longer lever so you can throw more snow.

Did you like the skis ? Width is generally your friend touring, lots more 3d snow.

If you found boots that work you are golden that's maybe the hardest part.

• Thanks 1

I am fine with the dynafit bindings on flat surfaces/snow.  But yesterday was so much powder it was a challenge.  Definitely getting a metal shovel, I borrowed one from CMS for the class yesterday and it didn't have an extension so it was made for T-rex arms.  I just took the skis to Eldora and didn't quite realize how shot my legs were.  I only did 2 runs (wtf) I am just spent.  Not even putting it in my stats.  So still hard to tell how they skied since I know I was skiing shitty.  I feel like they would be good but wondering if I should also try a 98 width before committing.  

I am really leaning towards not going on the hut trip, which makes me super bummed.  I think it would probably be fine for the skin in, but don't know about the surrounding area.  Every CAIC bulletin out there now says to avoid the backcountry.  Vail Pass is still at a 4/5 avalanche danger.  

1 hour ago, Barb said:

I am fine with the dynafit bindings on flat surfaces/snow.  But yesterday was so much powder it was a challenge.  Definitely getting a metal shovel, I borrowed one from CMS for the class yesterday and it didn't have an extension so it was made for T-rex arms.  I just took the skis to Eldora and didn't quite realize how shot my legs were.  I only did 2 runs (wtf) I am just spent.  Not even putting it in my stats.  So still hard to tell how they skied since I know I was skiing shitty.  I feel like they would be good but wondering if I should also try a 98 width before committing.  

I am really leaning towards not going on the hut trip, which makes me super bummed.  I think it would probably be fine for the skin in, but don't know about the surrounding area.  Every CAIC bulletin out there now says to avoid the backcountry.  Vail Pass is still at a 4/5 avalanche danger.  

When is the hut trip?  I know you guys are supposed to get quite a bit of snow around Wednesday.  

4 hours ago, Barb said:

I like being in the Mtns and camping itself so I've had two trips were we couldn't do anything but tour around and take pictures of stuff for next time. That can be super fun in an of itself. Do you have a topo of the area ? If the terrain is conducive you can always just stick to stuff that is flat and do some fancy walking in the woods.

We decided not to do the hut trip.  I think if not for this latest storm things would be ok.  Vail area getting 10-16" tonight through Thursday morning.  Avalanche danger forecast is being elevated tomorrow back up to a 4/5 (high).  But, since I now have my own touring setup we are going to go back to RMNP one of the days to play around.  

c0b04701bce23023586ff741ad6c2e38.jpg

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Barb said:

We decided not to do the hut trip.  I think if not for this latest storm things would be ok.  Vail area getting 10-16" tonight through Thursday morning.  Avalanche danger forecast is being elevated tomorrow back up to a 4/5 (high).  But, since I now have my own touring setup we are going to go back to RMNP one of the days to play around.  

c0b04701bce23023586ff741ad6c2e38.jpg

You should try and find some powder to ski midweek..maybe at Loveland.