Ski Bum Junior Leasing Program

Papasteeze

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with '999 and poconoceancity on this one. I don't think '999 was inappropriate in his response. No one uses straight skis anymore, especially if they want to be competitive. And, ebay is a great place to shop if you know what you want. Someone who is clueless may do better with a vendor.

The biggest negative about ebay is when they send the wrong thing, it's a pain. Also, there are warranty issues with buying skis on ebay, since ebay sellers are rarely sanctioned sales reps, as the 'dude can attest.

Yeah its kind of like the skis I bought off of ebay. I paid $329 for them with bindings shipped to my door. I wonder what it would have costed at a shop...

34916[/snapback]

The 'MSRP' for your ski/binding setup is close to $1100, although that GS:11 model has been replaced (not saying it's better or worse, but lots of people I know have a need to ski on what other people will see as the 'latest thing', not necessarily the 'best thing'). So a shop would have had the setup with a 30% off sticker and charged you $770 last year. This year, they may have a 50% off sticker and charged $550.

There's no way you could have gotten a better deal, 'freak.

You did good ;)

I know, I sure did get a deal on them and I know I never would have found them cheaper anywehre. When they came the sticker said they were selling them in their shop for $849. I went into Nestors the other day, and saw them selling my old skis, K2 Axis Xt's same year for more than I bought them for a season before.

For what it is worth. I buy from both places. I buy my "throw away" stuff on line. The high end stuff from the shops. There has been an exception or two. The warrranty has a value, as does comparitive hands on shopping. Reputable ski shops offer an education to the gear you are buying that you don't get on line...

I think Ski999s' post is very unfair. He is at the top in knowledge of the ski industry and his comments should not be directed to the majority of the public. He can shop for what he wants and does his homework from an experts' expert position.

I would never encourage anyone is not at least 1/2 as knowledgable as he is to buy on line. First of all they won't have a clue as to what to buy. Second of all they would be the first to try and get something returned or warrantied. Won't they be in for surprise. Do you all remember the fiasco I had with some skis at the end of last season? Well I am still dealing with that.. It turns out the bindings were missing parts..

Edited by Papasteeze

For what it is worth.  I buy from both places.  I buy my "throw away" stuff on line.  The high end stuff from the shops. There has been an exception or two. The warrranty has a value, as does comparitive hands on shopping. Reputable ski shops offer an education to the gear you are buying that you don't get on line...

I think Ski999s' post is very unfair.  He is at the top in knowledge of the ski industry and his comments should not be directed to the majority of the public. He can shop for what he wants and does his homework from an experts' expert position.

I would never encourage anyone is not at least 1/2 as knowledgable as he is to buy on line.  First of all they won't have a clue as to what to buy. Second of all they would be the first to try and get something returned or warrantied. Won't they be in for surprise.  Do you all remember the fiasco I had with some skis at the end of last season?  Well I am still dealing with that..  It turns out the bindings were missing parts..

35021[/snapback]

I respect that opinion, Papa. I disagree, but respect it.

Firstly, consider what I actually said: that The Ski Bum's prices were extremely high. A 300% markup. This is a fact and not me just throwing up numbers to make an arguement. And renting straight skis to ANYONE is detrimental. Just how old are their seasonal rentals that they are straight skis? 10 years? 15 years?

I think that's unfair, but they feel like they have no competition and can get away with it. It's a free market. But that doesn't mean people can't speak up about it, does it?

And as far as I'm concerned, if someone is making the effort to take their kid skiing enough to warrant seasonal gear, wouldn't they be interested in knowing it can be easily found online?

There's no secret or magic to junior gear. Hold a tape measure from their toes to their chin, then convert to centimeters. Bingo! You've just done the hard part!

Can't convert cm to inches? I'll make it easy. Go here:

http://www.onlineconversion.com/length_common.htm

Now, want to pay me $200 extra to tell you that if it's 40 inches from your kids toes to his chin, then you buy 100cm skis?

Is Mondo sizing a confusing term? How about paying me the extra $200 for this chart:

http://sunlightsports.com/Ask%20Bob/winter/bobalpsize.html

Easy? Couldn't be easier. If your kid wears a size 2 shoe, they wear a Mondo 20 boot. If they wear a size 4 shoe, then buy a Mondo 22 boot.

Bindings? Junior bindings are junior bindings. No magic. Just look for the following: "Junior bindings". Like, if you want milk, you buy the carton that says "milk". Want to pay me the extra $200 for that nugget of advise?

People have become amazingly savy when it comes to the internet and places like eBay. If you delete my wise-ass remarks from the above text, you'll be left with all you need to quickly and cheaply outfit a kid online.

People can spend $300 for that new junior package at a ski shop or $250 EVERY YEAR for The Ski Bum package with the helmet.

Or they can follow MY simple sizing links and spend $100, with the option of being able to resell it on eBay and get EVERY penny back.

Yes, free ski gear with 20 minutes worth of effort.

Oh, and worried about growing feet? Like the idea of being able to return your boots for the next size up? Spending $40 or more a year at a shop is one option...I chose to buy Mondo 18 and 19 boots for this and next season. Total cost? $37.50. If I wanted "rental quality" boots, I could buy them for $10 each pre-season.

Including me? :halo:yes

35028[/snapback]

Phil, I think it's VERY cool that you stuck around after I smacked you for calling me too poor and inept to be able to ski up north.

And if you're willing to get past me calling you a few names, then maybe we'll take a run someday and have a laugh.

It's a small world, right?

on a side note, don't take everything that is being said as a stereotype for all shops. although it seems that ski999 has a problem with shops in general, go to a reputable/knowledgeable shop and i can guarantee you that your experience will be worth paying a little more than ebay for. besides what isn't a better feeling than leaving a shop with your gear in hand...waiting a week to get it after you paid 20-40 in shipping, or getting it next day for an extra 60-70...in conclusion, i think i said it on here before, support your shop, you'll get more out of it...and you won't get carpal tunnel syndrome from buying ski gear on ebay all summer

Just wanted to clear up the fact that we do lease only shaped skis. I was upset the other day with the post that I saw and accidently put that we lease straight skis. At that point I was not seeing "straight". We are here to service our customers, yes, at the same time trying to make some money at it. The junior skis we lease are less than 5 years old, and when they get too old or damaged we take them out of the leasing program.

I have tried to support this board, but was taken back when our leasing program was being bashed. I apologize for any harsh words or upset feelings. I just ask that people know about what they are speaking before bashing it. Make sure that you know what type of equipment we rent before going on about how it is a rip off.

That is all I will say. I hope to support the board in the future, just ask for some respect when it comes to the business/service we provide.

The Ski Bum's leasing program is great for children, because it avoids a major investment in equipment that will only last a year. I know, we could swap/sell equipment, but I'll be honest, in spite of good intentions some things just don't get done.

My wife and I used the leasing program for our children for several years. Unfortunately, at that point The Ski Bum did not have the junior lease program. I would have happily continued leasing equipment from The Ski Bum for a few more years for each of them.

We have also purchased a lot of equipment and other things from The Ski Bum over the years. Bob at the Newark store is great. I needed boots with a large toe box to avoid the dreaded black big toe. He knew off the top of his head which boots I should try on.

Edited by ole2planker

I know, we could swap/sell equipment, but I'll be honest, in spite of good intentions some things just don't get done.

35054[/snapback]

I don't disagree that buying gear online doesn't do it by itself. And selling it to make all the money back is also a few minutes work.

But if you have three kids and want them outfitted (with helmets!), then you're looking at over $600 a year in leasing.

And is the statement "and you won't get carpal tunnel syndrome from buying ski gear on ebay all summer" accurate? Is there any danger of getting CTS? Does it take "all summer" to order gear on eBay?

And 170cm ADULT skis will ship USPS Parcel Post from Denver for $14.00, although $20 is pretty standard. If you walk into a PA ski shop and buy $300 skis, you'll pay $18.00 in sales tax, plus $3.00 for the gas. No sales tax or gas online.

(BTW, I left out of my post "How to measure for a helmet": put a string around your kid's head, then measure the string and convert to cm's. Simple.)

Just for fun, this morning I asked a friend that doesn't ski and has two kids to read my post and see if she could pick out skis and boots in the proper size on eBay. I also asked her to watch the clock. She didn't buy anything, but got to the point in each eBay transaction where all she had to do was hit the "Buy it Now" feature.

It took her 38 minutes to find the correct ski lengths, binding, boots, and helmets. Since her kids have never skied, she decided on used gear.

Total coast for two junior packages with helmets: $192.

Price she could resell them next fall: $192.

Just wanted to clear up the fact that we do lease only shaped skis. I was upset the other day with the post that I saw and accidently put that we lease straight skis. At that point I was not seeing "straight".

'bum, I don't know anything about your business, but you lost credibility when I saw your note that you leased straight skis. Glad you clarified this. I have grave misgivings about ski rental places that rent straight skis.

I'll maintain my ground that an educated shopper can do well on ebay. Someone without that knowledge may do better in a good shop or asking ski999 to help them. If money is no issue you could do well at shops. But, most of the people on this board work hard to support their habit...

...speaking of which... :rock

But 'Bum, you're not going to support a message board where there's a guy that posts he thinks there's a cheaper alternative to seasonal rentals?

I'm sorry, then, to have expressed what I've found to work. My intention wasn't to simply step on toes, or p*ss you off. Every day I'm at our little ski hill, I hear parents talking about how expensive rental gear is. These are generally upper-income NY families that have a vacation home in the gated community where I live.

A while back, skiing replaced golfing as the sport having the highest income among participants. I wonder how much that has to do with the expense of the sport?

In any event, my intention is only to help remove one of the elements that makes skiing prohibitive for kids in our area.

I have found ski shops to be hit or miss when it comes to having a knowledgeable staff. In south Jersey the average ski shop employee is on the snow less than 10 days per season. I would be much better off getting advice from members of this board. Although Mike n Matts has a dude named Jimmy who knows everything about boarding and rides 50 plus days a year.

Phil, I think it's VERY cool that you stuck around after I smacked you for calling me too poor and inept to be able to ski up north.

And if you're willing to get past me calling you a few names, then maybe we'll take a run someday and have a laugh.

It's a small world, right?

35041[/snapback]

And an even smaller community. I am sure we will make some turns sometime..as long as its not in Pa..especially not Blue.

Phil and ski were just starting to play nice.  Then phil had to make another comment about pa skiing :(

35290[/snapback]

Yeah, but Jeff's in charge of Blue :)

...I still can't get over the hate tonight. Hate from someone I never expected it out of. Crazy hate.

Phil's just convinced our hills are a waste of time...I sure don't think he's about to snap and open fire.

Man, there's a major difference.

Yeah, but Jeff's in charge of Blue :)

...I still can't get over the hate tonight. Hate from someone I never expected it out of. Crazy hate.

Phil's just convinced our hills are a waste of time...I sure don't think he's about to snap and open fire.

Man, there's a major difference.

35299[/snapback]

I have no problem going up to Elk..I just really hate Blue, its not so moch the mountain but the attitude and probably the worst snowmaking on the east coast. I would jsut sooner ski Jack Frost where they actually know how to blow snow. But again, if I am going to Frost, I might as well stay in the car another hour and do Elk. I skied Elk last year, the first time in 3 years, and was remnded what a nice mountain it is. Plus, I got to demo Metrons for the first time.

Also, there should have been a ;) with my PA comment, soory. :halo

Comparison shop on line, if you will, hope and  pray that you are going to actually receive the item that you are ordering and that all the parts are included, aknowledge the fact that there is no warranty and when you find that deal, best of luck, it does work out, sometimes. <_<

35322[/snapback]

I have only bought one pair of skis in a shop in the past 10 years (my Metrons because I was in VT and I needed some skis), all of my purchases have been either direct from a rep or from Ebay. That includes (about) 20 pair of skis (I buy for friends too), 10-12 pair of boot, I know what fits me and my family) and at least 15 pair of bindings. I have my own jigs so mountins is not an issue and I have a Montana ski tuning machine so we do our own tuning.

If I can't find my ski needs on Ebay, I don't need them.

I am about 50/50 Phil, just so you know and for what it is worth. My comments are directed more towards the general snow loving public, and not as much towards the hard core like us who are talking about the snow all summer long! I prefer dealing with a shop because I put a value on benefits from those relationships. Don't get me wrong, I am sucker for a good deal.. Matter of fact, I think I might have just gotten one!