Ski Bum Junior Leasing Program

Papasteeze

I am a little late in posting this ..

Junior/Teen Lease 2006

This season we have added a teen lease to our ever popular junior ski lease and

have added a full snowboard lease for juniors and teens.

Junior Up to 100 pounds

Teen Between 100 and 150 pounds

*Lease age limit is 19

The leasing program starts September 1st and we will accommodate everyone as

best as possible while supplies last. Stop in early for the best selection.

We will size up your child and fit them in the appropriate equipment. We then

will adjust and tune up the gear and allow you to keep it until the end of

April.

If your child grows during the season we will do everything we can to re-fit

your child, but we can not guarantee that we will be able to fit all

circumstances.

To lease we need the following:

A valid drivers license

A valid credit card (not a debit card) that expires after June 2006

Lease Pricing

Junior Ski Package ? $130

Includes Skis, Bindings, Boots, & Poles

Junior Snowboard Package ? $150

Includes Snowboard, Bindings, Boots

Junior Ski Boots Only ? $40

(Up to a size 7)

Junior Snowboard Boots Only ? $40

(Up to a size 6)

Teen Ski Package ? $160

Includes Skis, Bindings, Boots & Poles

Teen Snowboard Package ? $190

Includes Snowboard, Bindings, Boots

Teen Ski Boots Only ? $60

(Up to a size 10)

Teen Snowboard Boots Only ? $50

(Up to a size 10)

Edited by Papasteeze

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, that's expensive. I suppose it's okay for people that can't or don't want to make the effort, but toddler/junior rental gear is inevitably crappy rear entry boots and straight skis from the 80's. And they include poles (not needed) but no a helmet? A ski/boot/binding package NEW is about $129...add $35 for a decent helmet.

Not aiming this at you, Papa. I was pissy at Bear Creek Ski Shack (near Montage) for nailing our friends for a $119 junior package. They leased gear that was had been rentals for about 10 prior seasons and was beat to hell. Pelican did the same crap to other friends. $139 got them gear so trashed that they didn't know what brand the ski was.

Lesson learned? Call ahead to be sure that even toddler gear is shaped and isn't from the rental stock. Also make sure you are getting front entry boots.

Otherwise, buy a package new. Get a great fit. Spend $150, then stick it on eBay in the spring and get $125 for it.

Edited by ski999

I agree with you, but 95% of the skiers out there don't know what we know. they only know the hassle and cost of renting at the slope. Most of the people I know in this area arent as familiar with the slopes like you/we are. Also most of the people I know put a value on the time of not hassling with the rental so it is worth a few extra dollars if you only ski 4 or 5 times to already have your stuff with you and knowing that it fits. The ski bum has nice stuff now, the closer we get to the start of the season, the slimmer the pickings..

I agree with you, but 95% of the skiers out there don't know what we know. they only know the hassle and cost of renting at the slope. Most of the people I know in this area arent as familiar with the slopes like you/we are. Also most of the people I know put a value on the time of not hassling with the rental so it is worth a few extra dollars if you only ski 4 or 5 times to already have your stuff with you and knowing that it fits. The ski bum has nice stuff now, the closer we get to the start of the season, the slimmer the pickings..

33379[/snapback]

Oh, I agree that seasonal rentals are MUCH better than daily rentals. I just think is crappy that they charge more for seasonal rentals than it costs to buy brand-spankin' NEW gear. The selling point is that you can exchange the boots if the kids outgrow them.

Ty has three sets of top end Atomic race gear and the most I spent for any set was under $100. All done on eBay.

Doesn't every parent have an eBay account?

Doesn't every parent have an eBay account?

33384[/snapback]

ah yep, I believe so!!! I think there is a learning curve - I started out renting for the kids at the slopes and said screw that ... then I went to the lease... sweet no more hassles on the slopes... then I went shopping for stuff on sale and then last year I started buying quality..

I think it sort of ties in with the number of days skied ..

-5 days = rental on the slopes

5-10 days = lease program

10+ days = buy

in nestor's defense (we do a seasonal rental program as well, don't know the prices off the top of my head, but i think they are significantly cheaper), we have two options. used rentals, which are cheaper, and renting brand new equipment. the used rentals are all shaped skis from the past 5 years or so, usually Axis for kids or K2 skis for adults. we don't rent out straight skis or out of date gear. i know its not even necesary to post this on this site, cause we all own our own stuff, but i just wanted to get the word out that we try to do a little better job than the rest of our competition.

For the past 3 years I've rented for 3 kids from Nestors and/or Army Navy - had good equipment for the most part - Axis at nestors and new elan and 'tomics from AN. THe only problem has been boots - the rear entry's really do suck. The staff is more knowledgeable at Nestors - had to rturn to AN 3 times over the season for setttings/adjustment/replacemant but Nestors is considerably more expensive even with the pre-season discount. If I bought I could have my own swap meet at the end of the season !

Are you in the PA shop? I will stop by and say "Hey".

33462[/snapback]

LOL - no I don't work there. But you should stop in -Ask for Duane and let him know PASR sent ya!! - Good guys who have to try extra hard to please since they are so far from a mountain. He can get just about anything for you, his showroom stuff is what the typical market in our area buys which probably doesn't meet the needs of most of the users on this board..

Conversly, his shop is set up more like a demand and supply .......

• 3 weeks later...

Before you go on about something you know nothing about do some research. The skis we lease are straight skis and we do have front entry boots. We have requests for poles in the past and we included them this season as a courtesy to our customers at no extra charge. Yes, you can go on Ebay and buy just about anything, but if it breaks, or is the wrong size you are SCREWED! We let are customers change boot and ski size if their kids feet grow or they outgrow the ski. The skis are mostly Dynastar skis with Look bindings and Dalbello boots. If you were to buy this equipment it would cost you over $300 new. So please do me a favor in the future and make sure you know what you are talking about before you go raving on. It is common courtesy. I assume you buy your childern the cheapest equipment possible. I hope that $35 helmet protects their head when a 200lb+ out of control beginner skier runs them over.

-The Ski Bum

Man, that's expensive. I suppose it's okay for people that can't or don't want to make the effort, but toddler/junior rental gear is inevitably crappy rear entry boots and straight skis from the 80's. And they include poles (not needed) but no a helmet? A ski/boot/binding package NEW is about $129...add $35 for a decent helmet.

I think ripping off little kids sucks.

Not aiming this at you, Papa. I was pissy at Bear Creek Ski Shack (near Montage) for nailing our friends for a $119 junior package. They leased gear that was had been rentals for about 10 prior seasons and was beat to hell. Pelican did the same crap to other friends. $139 got them gear so trashed that they didn't know what brand the ski was.

Lesson learned? Call ahead to be sure that even toddler gear is shaped and isn't from the rental stock. Also make sure you are getting front entry boots.

Otherwise, buy a package new. Get a great fit. Spend $150, then stick it on eBay in the spring and get $125 for it.

33378[/snapback]

Before you go on about something you know nothing about do some research. The skis we lease are straight skis and we do have front entry boots. We have requests for poles in the past and we included them this season as a courtesy to our customers at no extra charge. Yes, you can go on Ebay and buy just about anything, but if it breaks, or is the wrong size you are SCREWED! We let are customers change boot and ski size if their kids feet grow or they outgrow the ski. The skis are mostly Dynastar skis with Look bindings and Dalbello boots. If you were to buy this equipment it would cost you over $300 new. So please do me a favor in the future and make sure you know what you are talking about before you go raving on. It is common courtesy. I assume you buy your childern the cheapest equipment possible. I hope that $35 helmet protects their head when a 200lb+ out of control beginner skier runs them over.

-The Ski Bum

34891[/snapback]

You're telling me I know nothing about this? Sounds like you need to do some research. Straight skis are trash. Kids---even little kids---benefit from shaped skis. And nobody except your customers pay $300 for a junior ski package. That's a 300% markup.

300%!

Dynastar junior skis wholesale under 110cm wholesale for about $40, depending on how many you buy. You can buy 80cm Atomic Race 5's for $55. Junior bindings wholesale for $25. Boots wholesale for under $30.

So you sell a package that wholesales at $95 for $300?

No wait, you sell people straight ski packages for $300. That's incredibly expensive.

So, exactly how many sets of front entry boots in 17 to 18.5 Mondo size do you have to rent? I bet NONE. But correct me if I'm wrong.

And lastly, you state that I "buy your childern the cheapest equipment possible." Well, my five year old has Atomic Race 5's in 70 cm, 80cm, and 90cm, mostly with Marker bindings. She also wears a Boeri helmet. Her skis were all bought new and all three sets combined were cheaper than your single package of straight skis.

People are "screwed" if they buy something off of eBay and it breaks? Yeah, there's a great sales pitch. My kid's Atomic 5 Race skis aren't breaking any time soon. Why would brand new skis/bindings break? Are any of your seasonal rentals brand new? I'd be more afraid of wasting a day by having old straight seasonal rentals break, than brand new Atomics.

The number of eBay online shops that carry junior ski gear has taken off and it's hurting local shops. Why on Earth would anyone pay $300 for a junior ski package, when the exact same package can be delivered to your door for $129? It makes no sense. Is that "raving"? I've actually done quite a bit of research and help my local hill buy rental gear. Our policy is to buy high quality gear at low prices.

And the coolest thing about eBay? After paying $129 and having your kid ski all season, you can turn around and sell it for at least $100. Take the time and auction the gear separately and you'll get back every penny you originally spent.

Okay, so here are real examples of eBay junior ski/binding packages at "Buy it Now" prices, not auctions. These are skis/bindings you can just go to eBay and buy without bidding. You can just as easily save another 25% by picking items that are up for regular bidding.

Oh no, here we go again....      skibum :rocks  ski999 

ski999 :slap:  skibum

34898[/snapback]

Oh, man, what the heck am I supposed to say? I buy tons of gear for our hill, friends, and even people that walk into my wife's library.

Think's gonna be p*ssed at me, I know...

So I'll apologize to everyone right now.

Sorry, everyone.

Oh, man, what the heck am I supposed to say? I buy tons of gear for our hill, friends, and even people that walk into my wife's library.

Think's gonna be p*ssed at me, I know...

So I'll apologize to everyone right now.

Sorry, everyone.

34902[/snapback]

I think you did a good job...no name calling and you didn't threaten him physically :D

Oh no, here we go again....      skibum :rocks  ski999 

ski999 :slap:  skibum

34898[/snapback]

hahaha he does seam to get into a lot of fights recently

I think you did a good job...no name calling and you didn't threaten him physically :D

34905[/snapback]

i can't wait till DH accently runs into him on a hill and B*($ slaps him