Ski Bum Junior Leasing Program

Papasteeze

well said, ski. that pelican business sounds like it was pretty shady, were you one of those kids? i am not usually the one stuck with the slave labor, since i have been at nestors for five years now, i usually get out of the crappy stuff. i'm definately seeing a little resentment being thrown back and forth right now. i cant comment, because i havent really skied with many people on this message board besides romeOp, bcparkcrew, insomniac and gurp, so i didnt see whatever papa was talking about. judging from your posts about your kid's soccer team though, you dont seem to be the type of person to pull something like that. besides, its nastar, its supposed to be a fun way to measure yourself against other recreational racers, right? i think we all just need a good one foot dump of snow to make everybody realize why we all come to this message board; because we all love sliding down some snow covered hill somewhere.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I spent two summers working at his house and did finally get a job at the shop. I bought a pair of Hanson Avanti (spelling?) ski boots with my first paycheck. Imagine a boot filled with a jell flowpack that molds around your foot for a perfect fit.

Then imagine that boot falling over in your trunk on the ride home from the ski hill. Then, the next day, you go to put it on and the cold jell is all on one side of the boot. It generally took two hours of blowing hot air from the car heater to reboot yourself.

Nice idea, I guess.

Peace, Justo.

Yeah, I spent two summers working at his house and did finally get a job at the shop. I bought a pair of Hanson Avanti (spelling?) ski boots with my first paycheck. Imagine a boot filled with a jell flowpack that molds around your foot for a perfect fit.

Then imagine that boot falling over in your trunk on the ride home from the ski hill. Then, the next day, you go to put it on and the cold jell is all on one side of the boot. It generally took two hours of blowing hot air from the car heater to reboot yourself.

Nice idea, I guess.

Peace, Justo.

HAHA. I had some Hanson Exibition II's, I went throught the same thing wit the flowpacks. Talk about heavy boots. I bought mine at Mitchell & Ness when they ran the base shop at Camelback. I wnet in to buy Raichle Freestyles, but for some reason I bought the Hansons, even to the dismay of the salesguy. Big mistake.

Manufacturers will say publicly that they want "only" specialty shops to sell their gear, but privatly, they are happy htese 'clearing houses' are selling skis by the boatload.

Ebay is great for someoen like me who knows what I want and need. I bought a single new 05 Atomic Metron on Ebay for 7.50. I called teh warrenty department at Atomic and got a single from them for 10.00, so for 17.50, I have a pair of Atomic Metrons. Try to do that in a ski shop.

Clinic coaches? You mean ONE clinic. MSRT. Run by a con artist.

Yep, a new member, who skis and believes passionatly that he has something, just because it is not a program for you, does not make it right for you to visciously name call.

Or do you mean the one's that come to use for ammo to shoot down Denton's "stupid lies" by "marketing dweebs"?

Yep, another new member(s) looking for info to dispell or confirm claims. More silly name calling.

Race organizations? You mean MSRT? Because you've NEVER heard me say anything but glowing things about PARA, USSA, MARA, NYSEF, VARA, and even Masters.

Nastar - and the organization. There are Nastar forum members who won't post here because of their fear of your rebuttals. I would like to create a poll of who is worried that Ski999 might go off on them when they post or cringe when they see that you were the last post. I know that I can't possibly be alone with these feelings.

You on the other hand, have gotten a break from me.

A break? I guess I will take that as a back handed admission that you consider yourself the judge, jury and executioner of any new member who does not see things the way you do. So much for the freedom of speech, which is one of the principles close and dear to the hearts and souls of staff here. Your intimidating, higher than all-mighty post stiffle free speech.

Right after I crashed at a Mountain Creek slalom, I went to the hospital and had an xray and check-up. I had some sort of front-whatever dislocation of my right shoulder. With a few races left in the year, I wanted to know if I could push out of the start. And what pain I'd feel from racing. So I cut my pain killers in half and drove down to BC's NASTAR course midweek. I was feeling wicked crappy, couldn't raise my arm more than horizontal...it was a bitch just getting my clothes on.

Thank you very much (8 months later) for your explanation of why you screamed F**K and stood up on the last 3 gates while a little kid was watching your every turn very intently.

So what does everyone hear about Cole? A few days later, word gets back to me how I'm a cheater. That I cut gates trying to beat a little boy.

Isn't human nature and "whisper down the lane" great!? Those were not my words, those were the words of someone between you and me.

Listen, Papa, that night wasn't about you or your kids. I was seeing if my season was over.

You're right on, with that one.. You seem to act as if skiing exists only for you. I can not belive that someone with your intelligence can not reognize how influential your opinions and actions are. This is a quote from an interview:

So, what's the key to his success?

"I'd say it's because I usually get pretty good lines in the beginning, so I pick up a lot of speed," Ridge said. "I'm getting better at kicking out of the start, so I'm getting more speed there. I can still improve on my starting and finding just a little better line."

In fact, Ridge Larick has had very little formal ski racing training. He learned the basics from his father and has had occasional lessons. But, otherwise, he has learned from watching others.

"Sometimes when I'm racing at NASTAR, there's a pacesetter or somebody at the bottom," Ridge said. "They give me little tips and everything. And my dad looks up different tips, and I practice off them."

So Cole, imagine the scenario. I am a brand new member to PASR at a NASTAR session and I point out to my kid "LOOK! I think that is ski999 from PASR" the next thing we see from one trail over on the lift is this Ski999 guy who screams an expletive and stands up on a flat Nastar course that he had so openly chastised the week before as being simple and nothing to brag about tuck course. First impressions are lasting ones.

We had seen racers from other nights look to be purposely skipping gates in a tuck in previous nights and reported them. Regardless of what your physical condition was that night, you inadvertantly ended up getting grouped with all the other "cheaters" but actually worse because of the profanity.. Why it took you 8 months to explain is beyond me.

What you did was the most offensive thing I've ever had said about me

Here again, we only wanted to know how someone who skis so well could skip gates on such an easy course. That is not offensive question, your behavior afterword was offensive, meaning that you became very agressive towards me very like you do consistently to other new members who join here.

Here is a suggestion that I am asking as a favor. Please do not reply with to threads of "industry" new members by stereotyping just because you have had a bad experience(s). Wait at least until the "noob" moniker is gone. I started this thread to ask for people to support the shops that support PASR since members like yourself have not done so. (to the best of my knowledge)

Think spends his own time and money to manage this board. I am working hard to help build membership so that in turn he can get a few ad dollars to pay for his out of pocket expenses. To have you post in the manner that you frequently do is to undermine the time and energy we spend to help this site grow. If you can't contribute positively or monetarily, then mabe you could try contributing positively to the Bear Creek Fall Festival by coming out (with grass skis) to help promote a great message board.

Thanks!

Rob

Pops:

999?s arguably the most knowledgeable PAskiandride MB member about ski specs, tuning tips and ski photography. He?s generous in sharing his knowledge to help us all find better equipment or ski faster. He's helped you at points.

1. He doesn?t say he?s going to help next week, then not follow through

2. He doesn?t sell the info

3. He doesn?t spout off endlessly about nothing

999?s also a big part of the heartbeat of this MB. Remember how dull things were when ?999 signed off for a few weeks last summer? And, what a great welcome back he received from admin and users when he signed back on? He?s fun. Yes, things would be better if he dialed back his reactions a bit. And, it?s likely there are issues here of which I am unaware. But, overall, IMHO, we are better losing an occasional promotional poster than stifling ?999?s comments too much.

Rob:

I'm not a role model for your kid. You are. And you sent your kid to a freestyle camp and allowed womes to rub their breasts in his face and promoted the nickname Nipples.

And you have the nerve to chatize me for saying the F word when I'm trying to take quiet, private training runs, but the pain was too intense after bashing the fourth from the last gate? Sorry, pal, but you're welcome to check the ASRA results and see I didn't take my second slalom run that day. I HAD to walk away from an awesome course. I didn't stick around to say goodbye to my friends, just drove back and went to Wayne Memorial Hospital before the swelling made it too hard to drive my stick shift.

I'm a contract photographer, btw, and don't get paid if I don't work. No sick leave.

Think back: did I try to ignore you that night? Was I trying to stay away from meeting and chatting that night? Couldn't you take a hint from inspection, when I didn't tell you who I was was?

And then FOUR different people come up to me (not even the obvious ones) to let me know that the Larick's were saying some pretty nasty things about me.

So the Larick's, who rode the lift with me, watch me exit the course my final three runs. I stood up for the final gates, which immediately kills your speed and slows you down, then go report me to the NASTAR starter. Then they all go spend time with my friends and fellow message board members and tell them I cheated to try and beat a little boy.

Those are the facts, Rob. Squirm all you want, Rob, but that was a crappy thing to do.

The night was a little foggy to me, since I'd taken 1/2 a codeine, but I really don't think I was a jerk to you. I thought I was pretty friendly to you guys, despite how I was feeling. I listened to your hateful stories of how your boy could have creamed everyone at that ski club race---that they were a bunch of creeps.

And Rob? All those people that came up to me were lying? Their individual stories were all the same. They had no ax to grind.

Also, Rob:

Exactly when have you or ANYONE else on this MB heard me say that I was a great ski racer? Or how about a very good ski racer? Or how about a good ski racer? I'm just a dad trying to be a ski racer with the intention of coaching. I've raced for years, but have had to relearn all the shaped ski techniques. We were taught all the things that are now considered bad habits.

Look back at any of my posts, including the one's with your buddy Gary.

Lastly:

I volunteered on a NASTAR course for twice as long as Gary and with no intentions of turning it into a business. I did it for the love of the sport.

NASTAR is a fun, recreational race, but what MSRT has done is criminal. Trying to turn recreational racing into some sort of big competition, is absurd. Those BC guys don't even have official handicaps!!! How can they be pacesetters if they don't go to Hunter for Pacesetter Trials?

In my opinion, so what? It's just for fun.

Sorry, but NASTAR cannot be considered a measure of top youth racers, since top youth racers don't have time for NASTAR. NASTAR courses aren't difficult enough---have enough gates, have offset gates, and aren't steep enough---to separate racing abilities.

NASTAR is about having fun on that day.

Is that bashing NASTAR?

My 4-year-old raced NASTAR. I raced NASTAR on a bunch of days. I helped check in racers at our NASTAR course almost every day I raced last season.

It's MSRT I have problems with.

Not NASTAR.

Please take your issues with each other to private messages. Let's get this thread back on track.

Thanks

Got it. Sorry, I posted before reading.

Pops:

999?s arguably the most knowledgeable PAskiandride MB member about ski specs, tuning tips and ski photography. He?s generous in sharing his knowledge to help us all find better equipment or ski faster. He's helped you at points.

1. He doesn?t say he?s going to help next week, then not follow through

2. He doesn?t sell the info

3. He doesn?t spout off endlessly about nothing

999?s also a big part of the heartbeat of this MB. Remember how dull things were when ?999 signed off for a few weeks last summer? And, what a great welcome back he received from admin and users when he signed back on? He?s fun. Yes, things would be better if he dialed back his reactions a bit. And, it?s likely there are issues here of which I am unaware. But, overall, IMHO, we are better losing an occasional promotional poster than stifling ?999?s comments too much.

Thank you Skimom. Best post of the year. :rock

I am dropping all kinds of stuff off for the swap this coming weekend.. They did really well with pricing and selling most of what I dropped off last time that the boys and I are cleaning out the basement tonight.

I might swing down Sat AM. I have to see if I have anything to sell.

I might swing down Sat AM. I have to see if I have anything to sell.

This is there big weekend, the shop in Chadds Ford is loaded to the the gills - I saw some really great prices on leftover stuff from last year... Lots of great stuff and some new knowledgable staff that I met tonight.

This is there big weekend, the shop in Chadds Ford is loaded to the the gills - I saw some really great prices on leftover stuff from last year... Lots of great stuff and some new knowledgable staff that I met tonight.

I will be down there Sat AM, I will be wearing a Mad River Glen T-shirt.

I'm glad everyone who went had a good experience there. It's nice that the people who like talking face to face with representatives, and could use some nudging in the right direction, were able to go get what they needed. This is why ski shops will always be around, regardless of the alternatives.