Ski Denton: "Steepest in the East"???

AlpineZone

Ha, no you weren't on his team---just better in the bumps than most of his kids. Jeez, my memory sucks. Didn't you go on to become some musical genius with a cult following?

33597[/snapback]

Why yes... I am a musical genius... NOT!!!

I'm a hack at the drumset as well... I spent the $$ my Mom gave for lessons on beer...

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did I miss this thread?  :rofl  Ski999 and DMC - you know each other - If not in person, at least on previous message boards.  I guarantee it. 

Now chill out.  :rock

Mum

33601[/snapback]

MUMSTER!!! You ROCK!!!!

Corbets Couloir is not really a trail, it's gravity then survival. It's dificulty rises and falls with the snowpack. A few years ago a snowmobiler did it...now that's crazy.  :woot

:lol

Cheers

33532[/snapback]

Pretty sure that dude got arrested too...but sick move nonetheless. I too have skied it but it didnt look anything like that posted PIC...

:wacko:

Just to say my peace...I grew up too skiing mostly PA resorts, montage, camelback, JackFrost/Big boulder, Shawnee, etc etc...thay are all great places and all hold a special place in my memories. Please (Skier999) dont lump all of the posters at AZ into one big bucket. Remember a few bad apples don't ruin the whole bunch.. :)

M

Welcome.  It's great to see you here, gearing up for winter, DMC.  We will see you out there in no time...  :woot

BTW, this MB has a smilie of you:        ->  :band

33655[/snapback]

I really did become a harcore skier in the Poconos...

We used to ski all the time in PA... I lived off Rt 78 in NJ in highschool..

the Poconos were only an hour away...

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a link to a discussion on this topic at EpicSki.com:

EpicSki

Here are some of PA's steepest trails compared to other trails in the east. How these numbers were determined are explained in the link.

Extrovert @ Blue Knob - 28.5 degrees

Lower Wildcat @ Laurel Mountain - 28.1 degrees

Triple diamond run @ Denton Hill - 27.7 degrees

Starr @ Stowe - 31.1 degrees

Castle Rock @ Sugarbush - 21.3 degrees

Whiteface Slides @ whiteface - 36.3 degrees

Goat @ Stowe - 33.6 degrees

Robin's Run @ Smuggs - 29.8 degrees

Outer Limits @ Killington - 28.5 degrees

Devils Fiddle @ Killington - 25 degrees

Ripcord @ Mt. Snow - 27.4 degrees

Tuckermans (steepest I could find) - 45.3 degrees (damm!)

Dynamite @ Tremblant - 28 degrees

Black Hole @ Smuggs - 31.0 degrees

Ovation (lower section) @ Killington - 30.7 degrees

Special thanks to Epic member Powdr for calculating these pitches.

Edited by Springhill Crazie

Here's a link to a discussion on this topic at EpicSki.com:

EpicSki

Here are some of PA's steepest trails compared to other trails in the east. How these numbers were determined are explained in the link.

Extrovert @ Blue Knob - 28.5 degrees

Lower Wildcat @ Laurel Mountain - 28.1 degrees

Avalanche @ Denton Hill - 27.7 degrees

Starr @ Stowe - 31.1 degrees

Castle Rock @ Sugarbush - 21.3 degrees

Whiteface Slides @ whiteface - 36.3 degrees

Goat @ Stowe - 33.6 degrees

Robin's Run @ Smuggs - 29.8 degrees

Outer Limits @ Killington - 28.5 degrees

Devils Fiddle @ Killington - 25 degrees

Ripcord @ Mt. Snow - 27.4 degrees

Tuckermans (steepest I could find) - 45.3 degrees (damm!)

Dynamite @ Tremblant - 28 degrees

Black Hole @ Smuggs - 31.0 degrees

Ovation (lower section) @ Killington - 30.7 degrees

Special thanks to Epic member Powdr for calculating these pitches.

34492[/snapback]

Thanks for the update Springhill!!

Hold on here. I thought Powdr's 27.7 degrees was for the "triple diamond" which is NOT Avalanche, it's Extreme. I don't find where he quoted that for Avalanche in his posting. Extreme is in the trees as I recall and Avalanche is a cleared run. Extreme starts further down the hill.

Edited by sibhusky

Hold on here.  I thought Powdr's 27.7 degrees was for the "triple diamond" which is NOT Avalanche, it's Extreme.  I don't find where he quoted that for Avalanche in his posting.  Extreme is in the trees as I recall and Avalanche is a cleared run.  Extreme starts further down the hill.

34509[/snapback]

You may be right. I assumed that the triple diamond was Avalanche so I changed it when I posted here. Extreme is on the same face, no? My apologize if I've misled.

Denton's run steeper than Ripcord and Devil's Fiddle?

Yes, indeed. For its entire 60 feet of vert... ;)

And to think those *sswipes at that other MB were calling the Denton marketing guy a bunch of nasty names...

34505[/snapback]

Sticks and stones will....oh, nevermind. :rolleyes:

Yes, indeed. For its entire 60 feet of vert... ;)

Sticks and stones will....oh, nevermind.  :rolleyes:

34527[/snapback]

Boy Greg, you really like to stir the pot. All three of the PA trails listed drop at least 500 vertical. I'd venture to say they all drop about 600 vertical. I know it's still small by VT standards but still plenty to make you pay attention.

Now behave yourself and stop riling up the natives.

welcome springhill, where is mt. laurel?

34543[/snapback]

Thanks for the welcome. Laurel Mountain is in the Allegheny Mountains on Laurel Ridge in Western PA. It's the same mountain ridge that you'll find Seven Springs and Hidden Valley to the south. Laurel has 900 vertical but only about 80 acres of trails about half of which is covered with snowmaking. There is no on-slope lodging (by covenant) and that is perhaps the reason Laurel has a hard time making money.

Laurel first opened in the late '30s as part of the private Rolling Rock Club. After WW2 the Mellon Family opened Laurel to the public and turned over operation to the State Parks sometime in the '60s with the stipulation that no overnight accommodations be built. Laurel was leased to private concessionaires and operated until 1989 when warm weather and limited snowmaking finally force the lease holder to fold.

In 1999 George Mowl stepped up to re-open Laurel and quickly lost his shirt while attempting a gallant effort to provide low cost skiing and sell properties at nearby Laurel Mountain Village. He failed to open the season before last but last season Seven Springs entered into agreement with the bank that held the loan and operated Laurel. This year things look doubtful for a 7 Springs/Laurel Mountain association.

I know, too much info. I love the place for it's retro feel and good expert skiing. Hopeful an 'angel' will appear again.

Thanks for the welcome. Laurel Mountain is in the Allegheny Mountains on Laurel Ridge in Western PA. It's the same mountain ridge that you'll find Seven Springs and Hidden Valley to the south. Laurel has 900 vertical but only about 80 acres of trails about half of which is covered with snowmaking. There is no on-slope lodging (by covenant) and that is perhaps the reason Laurel has a hard time making money. 

Laurel first opened in the late '30s as part of the private Rolling Rock Club. After WW2 the Mellon Family opened Laurel to the public and turned over operation to the State Parks sometime in the '60s with the stipulation that no overnight accommodations be built. Laurel was leased to private concessionaires and operated until 1989 when warm weather and limited snowmaking finally force the lease holder to fold.

In 1999 George Mowl stepped up to re-open Laurel and quickly lost his shirt while attempting a gallant effort to provide low cost skiing and sell properties at nearby Laurel Mountain Village. He failed to open the season before last but last season Seven Springs entered into agreement with the bank that held the loan and operated Laurel. This year things look doubtful for a 7 Springs/Laurel Mountain association.

I know, too much info. I love the place for it's retro feel and good expert skiing. Hopeful an 'angel' will appear again.

34557[/snapback]

Not too much info at all...you will find that most of the members can appreciate a meaningful post with lots of info.

Do you live in Western PA?