Best way to store skis??

bigdaddyk

wow, 90 times waxed before a world cup race? I always wondered, if they take more than one run on the race course, do they have a second pair of skis untouched to snow they put on for another run? Or do they just use the same pair.

I didnt know I should let it sit overnight, I just usually let them sit for about 15 minutes come back scrape them off. My skis are on rails so obviously im not very concerned about the bases that much.

Bode has over 100 pairs of race skis. 25 for each disipline...Each tuned a little differently. In the time inbetween runs, there on hill techs will get about 5 different pairs ready to go, just so they are ready incase anything changes...

wow, 90 times waxed before a world cup race? I always wondered, if they take more than one run on the race course, do they have a second pair of skis untouched to snow they put on for another run? Or do they just use the same pair.

I didnt know I should let it sit overnight, I just usually let them sit for about 15 minutes come back scrape them off. My skis are on rails so obviously im not very concerned about the bases that much.

The 90+ times is just when the skis are brand new. It's meant to completely saturate the base with wax. You don't need to leave them overnight for parks and freeskiing, though. Just as soon as they are cool; usually a few hours at room temp, or much less if you can stick them in a cold spot.

Bode has over 100 pairs of race skis. 25 for each disipline...Each tuned a little differently. In the time inbetween runs, there on hill techs will get about 5 different pairs ready to go, just so they are ready incase anything changes...

And USSA racers will cork on fresh wax/fluoro between runs...

I think we need to put together a video learning area, starting with a wax demonstration. We certainly have enough competent people it shouldn't be too hard to do. I'll try and film Zaldon, and if the "masters" don't feel its up to par for learning purposes, I will try and film someone else when conveninent

That'd be great. And I'll grab some pics when I tune my new skis later this week.

Ski999

One thing I read somewhere. Its better to let your skis cool for awhile inside before you put them outside too cool more.

If its too cold out, and the wax is still warm it can harden before it is able to go all the way into the base (or something like that)

Ski999

One thing I read somewhere. Its better to let your skis cool for awhile inside before you put them outside too cool more.

If its too cold out, and the wax is still warm it can harden before it is able to go all the way into the base (or something like that)

Yeah, especially if it's really cold. And when you bring them back in, let them warm to room temp. and wipe down any condensation.

While on the topic of waxing and tuning, I was told that I don't need to do anything with my skis, since they are new. I was told that they come already tuned and ready to go. Does this sound correct?

That sounds like salesmanship at it's worst. Does the average rider need to do anything, no... Should they? YES!! Does the average rider even have their boards maintained throughout the season or do they summer store properly? I never did until the last few years..

Yeah - stores will try to get the best price they can in the easiest manner by not saying things like, if you want World Cup bases, you will need to buy a thousand dollars in tuning equipment and wax on, wax off 90 times -

Take care of your skis and they will take care of you. Wax em again it won't hurt only help! look for burnishing, fuzz or what ever it is called when the wax is all gone... ..

Oh, yeah, why hasn't 'Dude equipped your house with a nice big hot box?

It had 5 light bulbs and enough shelves for plenty of pairs of skis. Iceman might not mind, as long as it is in our southern home, where the heating costs are less.

Emphasis on the word "regular". I haven't hiked in MONTHS. Too busy trying to cover car repair bills.....

Why not get moving with the card company I've been encouraging you to set up. Your pics are fantastic, and tourists would love them. Sibhusky could be right up there with Hallmark.

Ski999

Why outside at all? All that will do is harden the wax before it has time to seep into the base.

While on the topic of waxing and tuning, I was told that I don't need to do anything with my skis, since they are new. I was told that they come already tuned and ready to go. Does this sound correct?

The factory will put on a small coat of wax. I would never ski my skis right after they came from the factory (or even the shop if they got stone ground)...I would make sure to wax mine many times before I put them on snow. Then again, I race, so little things like that make me happy.

The edges are almost always done (with the exception of some race stock skis) but I would question how accuritly they come beveled.

Zaldon a hot box just keeps them warm enough to keep the wax so it can be absorbed into the base...It doesn't get hot enough to do anything bad to the ski (or it shouldn't)

Without wax, base material will will dry out and flake off pretty fast. Factory wax is the bare minimum. Most recreational skis are okay to take right to the slopes for skiing around the greens and blues, but you should probably get a good hot wax in the first few days. At the very least, skis turn better and are easier to use when they are properly waxed.

Why cool outside? A few minutes after you're done ironing, the majority of absorbtion is done. Cooling outside isn't for race skis, it's a quick method for everyday skiing.

With new skis, you should wax and rewax as much as you can stand to before using them.

Yes, for sure. But most people buying new skis wait until mid-season before bothering...usually when CB or wherever sets up a quick outdoor $5 wax station.

Get out there and earn some turns, your in Montana, take advantage of it.

Let's see, I just said I don't have TIME to hike because I need money and you are telling me to hike so I can ski? The lift ticket was paid for last March. Not sure how hiking in order to ski is gonna help me pay for $4000 of car repair bills in one year.

Let's see, I just said I don't have TIME to hike because I need money and you are telling me to hike so I can ski? The lift ticket was paid for last March. Not sure how hiking in order to ski is gonna help me pay for $4000 of car repair bills in one year.

$4,000 of car repairs? Was it in an accident?

First the ABS module needed to be replaced, then I needed to replace front and rear brakes and something called a serpentine belt, plus normal oil changes, tire swapping, something with the stupid airbag, etc. Every time I turn around it's something. Thank god I bought my ski pass last March -- it's the last time I had any spare money. At the rate I am repaying for all this stuff, it'll be two years before I catch up and that's assuming nothing else happens.

best way to store skis...uhh during the winter just dry them when u get home so the edges dont get rusty then store em in a warm spot in ur house and just lean em against something.

summer storing them uhh put a nice coat of wax on them and turn the din on the bindings all the way down then when u go to take it for a wax/sharpen in the begining of the year they will scape all that wax off and put a fresh coat of was on.

First the ABS module needed to be replaced, then I needed to replace front and rear brakes and something called a serpentine belt, plus normal oil changes, tire swapping, something with the stupid airbag, etc. Every time I turn around it's something. Thank god I bought my ski pass last March -- it's the last time I had any spare money. At the rate I am repaying for all this stuff, it'll be two years before I catch up and that's assuming nothing else happens.

Sorry about the bad luck with your car...I guess the rocky Mountains can be pretty tough on automobiles.

Ok let me get this straihgt. if i have brand new skis i only need a wax and a sharpening isnt necessarcy before i take them out on the snow.

It's good to hot wax new skis. Unless they are race stock, they come very sharp from the factory at their recommended edge settings and you don't need to have them resharpened.