Jack Frost J4 Races

Papasteeze

Ridge did respectfully well placing 5th - his second run was the second fastest run of the day. He said he didn't understand the gates on the first run, that they were confusing how they were set up and had to speed check after realized he was heading around the wrong side. He had never raced them like that before. I rest my case about no gate training however, he got some today at a race, rather than at training.

Props to Sib who told me to tell Ridge to bring his USSA card for a bib. I would have not known that and it could have been a whole different experience.

Also - No one ever told us that racers get discounted lift tickets. Ours were bought at full price. You would think that someone would have told us these basics.

Sounds like a good day?!?!?

Yeah definitly one to remember. :woot Ridge placed 5th out of a field of 60 as a first year J4 in his first race ever in the USSA program and Nipples is finally taking me somewhere nice instead of me always taking him somewhere. :lol

Also - No one ever told us that racers get discounted lift tickets. Ours were bought at full price. You would think that someone would have told us these basics.

Sorry, at BB it was in a separate building and it was obvious that they were selling tickets. At BB, the parents could get discounted tickets as well. That is not true at all the races, but usually the racers get discounts. If you ever ski at MC, they don't discount for being a parent, but apparently they do for having a season pass, a fact I didn't learn until I moved away, darn it!

Also, usually gatekeepers get a free ticket for the day, except at CB where they only gave a bib to get you to the gates, but after the race you were SOL. That may have changed with new management.

Out here, we never have issues with getting gatekeepers like we did back East. You know why? Because in addition to the pass for the day, we get a transferable ticket voucher good for a year. So you can treat friends to a day skiing with you. If CB did that, their perennial gatekeeper problems would probably vanish. Race parents really should contribute by helping out as gatekeepers one or two times a season. I am doing it here for races in which Siblet is not in -- she will be at Big Sky while we hold races here. Then I plan to help out with NorAms as well.

Thanks again Sib, More good info! I plan on helping at the Races that I take Ridge to where ever needed in what ever capacity they will have me. :blink:

I think I found some other races for him to go to outside of the Pocono region that are managable. How does it work if he is the only CAT team member in attendance at a race out at Seven Springs for example?

I rest my case about no gate training however, he got some today at a race, rather than at training.

I'm confused you said that in fact there had been some gate training during practice. What was so different about these gates? It seems to me if the gates training he had during practice (though limited) didn't prepare him for these "different" gates than I don't know how more of gate training during practice would have helped. Which isn't to say there shouldn't be more gate training... simply that I'm not sure I understand or agree with your point. Anyway glad to hear he did well.

I'm confused you said that in fact there had been some gate training during practice. What was so different about these gates? It seems to me if the gates training he had during practice (though limited) didn't prepare him for these "different" gates than I don't know how more of gate training during practice would have helped. Which isn't to say there shouldn't be more gate training... simply that I'm not sure I understand or agree with your point. Anyway glad to hear he did well.

Coaches take the kids through a course inspection before each run for the J4/5 and even first year J3's. If you miss a gate or are unprepared for a gate in a basic giant slalom, it's a little absurd for a parent to blame the coach or lack of gate training. My daughter never went around a GS gate the wrong way as a 4 yr. old on similar courses.

Congrats on 5th place. And congrats to all the kids from the East and Northeast divisions of PA that raced.

following in his brothers foot steps i would think.

i hear girls in my school talking about Chances older brother and just laugh, then i tell them i see him every weekend and i'm surprised there arn't more girls on the team

Out of respect for their privacy I won't say which older brother dated the SHS cheerleading team... :)

Eh, no smiley for envy :no

The top 3 kids had faster times then ridge's second run :confused...But alot of CB's high up on that list...great job!

CAT coaching :rock

The top 3 kids had faster times then ridge's second run :confused...But alot of CB's high up on that list...great job!

I went on what he told me, my bad, I should have checked the results first. Time to get longer skis, he said everyone is on longer skis than he is and he is as big or taller than the others.