are the things thatim hear right about expanding bear

EAZY-Emuntz

I think a major thing I would love to see, is possibly a high speed lift. I know it sounds ridiculous and obscene since Bear's vertical is not breaking 1000. Or even 800? But, to be honest, sometimes I choose mountains farther away from me(blue) not because of the snow conditions, but because they have high speed lifts.. I hate to complain, or offer this, because Bear has an amazing mountain from hospitality to skiing to entire vibe. thanks for reading this-Adam

I don't think a highspeed is needed but maybe upgrade the double chair over cascade to a quad. Edited by burton71

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Vermont every nook and cranny of the woods gets tracked out.

Not all of the time, Last year at the bush, I was skiing fresh stuff, and it hadnt snowed there in a week. It really just matters what type of peak you go to. Im sure if you go to an eays peak then a lot of people will goin in those woods, but i went into Castlerock at Sugarbush, and that was all fresh.

Castlerock is awesome, I only managed one day at Sugarbush last season in late March. I skied Middle Earth, Rumble, Liftline, and Castlerock run. Did you get into any of the woods and chutes on the left side of Paradise(looking down)? A funny thing is that when ever I ski Castlerock I have the Fraggle Rock Theme song in my head. It's pretty annoying since the lift is like 12 minutes long.

No to the thing on paradise, We never even went up to the top of that peak. But we did everyhting on castlerock and had a blast over there. But im used to the slow lifts so it didnt bother me.

No one really left an answer, does Bear own the other side of the mountain? and maybe willing to build trails there?? I heard this same stuff last season, possibly a lodge up top of the mountain and the other side have trails??

They currently have Mt. bike trails on the other side, so I think they own it.

This thread has really taken off.

We do not own all of the "backside" of the mountain. If you are standing in the base area looking toward the top of the mountain we own about 3/4 of the ridge to the right of tubing, we own about 25' into the woods off the top of A lift, we own quite a bit of the land behind F lift and the old Mountain Hut, about 45 acres to be exact. If you go over the knob off the top of Timberline we own about 1/3 of the way down the slope. We have had informal discussions with a neighbor about leasing their land for potential use but it hasn't progressed beyond that.

As for a high speed quad the issue really becomes one of lift line length. If you have a lift line length under 3000' feet you have big chair spacing issues with the high speeds. Everytime the chairs detach from the line they reattach at a slightly different spot. The shorter the line length, the more often the chairs detach/reattach and the faster your end up with chair spacing issues that can cause the lift to close down for maintenance. In our case, the line length is only 2300' for B and 2100' for F.

Skier visits are up from last year but not quite as high as we would have hoped. The weather is obviously not working in our favor but it looks like they just revised the forecast for Saturday night and we should have a good 18 to 20 hour window Saturday afternoon into Sunday morning. I hate to blow snow on our guests but in a year like this it is a better option than making them ski on grass and rocks. Not everyone has grass skis!

i dont ski at Bear that often but i kinda think that having tree skiing there isnt worth the money or effort to clear the trails. look at the place now.... its hard enough to keep a solid base on the the trails that they blow on. i couldnt immagine tree skiing being open for more than a few days each season with the occasional 6+ inch dumps... just my opinion...

We do not own all of the "backside" of the mountain. If you are standing in the base area looking toward the top of the mountain we own about 3/4 of the ridge to the right of tubing, we own about 25' into the woods off the top of A lift, we own quite a bit of the land behind F lift and the old Mountain Hut, about 45 acres to be exact. If you go over the knob off the top of Timberline we own about 1/3 of the way down the slope. We have had informal discussions with a neighbor about leasing their land for potential use but it hasn't progressed beyond that.

That's quite a lot of auxillary space. How much do you and the other planners feel can be developed into productive space other than the aforementioned turn of tubing?

As for a high speed quad the issue really becomes one of lift line length. If you have a lift line length under 3000' feet you have big chair spacing issues with the high speeds. Everytime the chairs detach from the line they reattach at a slightly different spot. The shorter the line length, the more often the chairs detach/reattach and the faster your end up with chair spacing issues that can cause the lift to close down for maintenance. In our case, the line length is only 2300' for B and 2100' for F.

I don't think the money would be well spent on a h.s. quad. The upgrade awhile back of the B lift to quad status helped tons. If A lift could go triple or quad, that'd probably solve peak time load from the main base area. I don't think I've ever really seen issues over on F lift (line-wise) even though it is the longest lift run. Seems the heavy traffic is that base area due to the park, etc.

Skier visits are up from last year but not quite as high as we would have hoped. The weather is obviously not working in our favor but it looks like they just revised the forecast for Saturday night and we should have a good 18 to 20 hour window Saturday afternoon into Sunday morning. I hate to blow snow on our guests but in a year like this it is a better option than making them ski on grass and rocks. Not everyone has grass skis!

Sat, Sun, and even Mon night should yield cold enough temps to blow. However the real challenge for the snow crew is going to be the delightful breeze (20-25mph; 40+ gusts) on Sat and Sun. Too bad the timing just didn't connect to allow for blowing before this comp today. With the rain and all, will they pull the plug on it?

Oh, one other thing... I know it's been rough, but I wanted to mention that the lift crew should check the line lanes for exposure given this snow issue. There was some gravel and such coming through enough just to expose the tops of the small rocks and one of them laid a nice gouge in the bottom of my brand new board. I haven't checked with the tuning shop, but I know they're going to need to grind the thing pretty good to repair it. This is at the park/tubing side entry to B lift. Esp. the 'double' and 'triple' lanes.

Ok every thing sounds great but the glade skiing an that people have failed to mention music in the parks. I know its possible because of the black speakers on the lift towers. :band cuz this may get rid of the kids who crank there music so loud they can't hear someone call "drop"!!!! But other than that ROCK ON Mark!!!! :rock

Edited by skierboy08

Hey Mark, The area in Between Extreme and grizzly saw a lot of snow from the guns last season and would make a short but somewhat steeper gladed run then skiers left of Grizzly. I think Both would be ideal.

i dont ski at Bear that often but i kinda think that having tree skiing there isnt worth the money or effort to clear the trails. look at the place now.... its hard enough to keep a solid base on the the trails that they blow on. i couldnt immagine tree skiing being open for more than a few days each season with the occasional 6+ inch dumps... just my opinion...

This season is a poor indicator. Last season I was skiing the area inbetween Extreme and Grizzly from mid February through mid March. Without touching any rocks. Samplings were a whole other story.

Edited by dwnhlldav

Well to start off i made this drawing in my math class while dreaming of the future superpipe!!! Click_Me Then i was thinking if u put the pipe high on the hill (where Cascade is). Then the pipe would get protected by the trees from the sun which makes the pipe slushy in the day, and icy at night. But would also protect it from days when it gets windy out which push u around in the air and also makes it hard when blowing snow. If u guys don't like the ideas maybe u'll like the drawing!

• 2 weeks later...