ski sizing?

Blong131

i have no clue how to size skis, but i would like to start skiing. what size skis should i be using if i'm 5' 3" 100lbs?

i can get a pair of 136's really really cheap but will whese work for me? or will i just look like an idiot on oversized skiblades?

i have no clue how to size skis, but i would like to start skiing. what size skis should i be using if i'm 5' 3" 100lbs?

i can get a pair of 136's really really cheap but will whese work for me? or will i just look like an idiot on oversized skiblades?

nope they should be fine if ur only 5"3'..im 5"7' and im on 170s but its better to start small when u start skiing.so get them 136s then once u get good and grow outta them get bigger ones..the skis u get should always be about as high as u.

A lot of people say that skis should be as tall as you, but there's been a trend to go shorter and it comes down to personal preference. Starting out, shorter will be better because they are easier to turn. I'm 6'0 and use 156's, which are shoulder length for me. Some people would think that this is short, which I don't let bother me because it's what I like and I have no problems with them. I learned on 150's and didn't like longer skis, so I stayed with shorter ones. I've talked to many people, and they also seem to agree that more people are starting to favor going with shorter, shaped skis. Unless they are really cheap skis, I would recommend renting different sizes, before buying. I rented for two years, until I was comfortable with the length that I liked. Remember, it doesn't matter what others think you look like. If you go too big, you will look like more of an "idiot" if you can't control them. As a side note, everybody already looks goofy, with everything you have to wear.

Edited by bigdaddyk

I'm 6' and I'm on 170s, but idealy, for slalom, I'd be on ~ 157's which would be at my chin or so. My 170's come up to my eyes, which is a good range (somewhere between your lips and eyes I'd say). Any shorter you might start to lose some stability in softer/slushier snow, and at higher speeds.

ya..umm also mounting spots help alot..if ur goin to do alot of park then either mount them at core center(center of ski) or true center(a little farther up from core center)..i personally love my true centered skis but i hate them in the powder i have to lean back so much or else when i carve i flip right over lol.

weight, experience, and usage take precedence in sizing consideration, but for snowboards, its sensible to also consider height to shorten length. excessively long snowboard tips are more difficult to handle than the same excess in skis due to the nature of snowboard mounting, the mechanics of snowboard turning, and just plain snowboard girth. out of curiosity, why would height be taken into account at all with ski sizing?

weight, experience, and usage take precedence in sizing consideration, but for snowboards, its sensible to also consider height to shorten length. excessively long snowboard tips are more difficult to handle than the same excess in skis due to the nature of snowboard mounting, the mechanics of snowboard turning, and just plain snowboard girth. out of curiosity, why would height be taken into account at all with ski sizing?

It's just a good place to start... :)

Another thing to consider is surface area of the ski. A straight 200cm, from back in the day, and a 180cm shaped ski, depending on the side cut, could have the same surface area and be suitable for the same skier. Thats why it is difficult these days to just go by height, but as Jeff mentioned, it is a good place to start.

Another thing to consider is surface area of the ski. A straight 200cm, from back in the day, and a 180cm shaped ski, depending on the side cut, could have the same surface area and be suitable for the same skier. Thats why it is difficult these days to just go by height, but as Jeff mentioned, it is a good place to start.

im sure hes looking for twin tips..hes a snowboarder..y would u snowboard and do trick then just go to plane old skiing that would be boring.

It's just a good place to start...

its just that? then, its the same with boards for beginners. can you say that skiers of your caliber dont consider height in sizing equipment?

I'm guessing it has to due with stability, because the taller you are, the higher your center of mass is.

snowlerblades worn by clowns of normal stature come to mind.

Edited by skitzo

its just that? then, its the same with boards for beginners. can you say that skiers of your caliber dont consider height in sizing equipment?

At the level of Jeff and Adam, the ski characteristics dictate the length. In slalom, they'll ski the shortest they are legally allowed, as long as the ski is good enough to not chatter off the snow. If there were no rules, the shortest would be a 150cm, since it takes a certain amount of material to dampen well enough. Make sense? A 140cm ski just wouldn't have room for enough dampening material.

For bigger, more natural arcs like the giant slalom turns, 165cm's is probably the very shortest that ski could be to hold edge---maybe 170 for the heavier skier, since body weight matters more with the larger turns.

The difference in abilities of skis is really huge. Until you've skied race room versus beginner ski, you really don't fathom the difference. A race room ski will feel like two unbendable wood planks on the feet of a novice. Beginner skis feel like wet noodles for an expert.

I you are just starting then get those. Make sure you try something shaped a little bit longer (145 cm) so that you can compare Especially if that is a "straight ski"

...the ski characteristics dictate the length. In slalom, they'll ski the shortest they are legally allowed...

...For bigger, more natural arcs like the giant slalom turns, 165cm's is probably the very shortest that ski could be to hold edge---maybe 170 for the heavier skier, since body weight matters more with the larger turns.

The difference in abilities of skis is really huge...

then weight, experience, and usage do rule the day in both sides of the winter psorts realm.

then weight, experience, and usage do rule the day in both sides of the winter psorts realm.

Yep, for sure. And if you really want the perfect ski, then you need at least three pairs for different conditions. Even with "all-mountain" cruisers, you still concede something in most conditions and trail types.

Yep, for sure. And if you really want the perfect ski, then you need at least three pairs for different conditions. Even with "all-mountain" cruisers, you still concede something in most conditions and trail types.

i just need a swallowtail or a long tapered board to have a very complete quiver. for our area, un/fortunately, i dont really need it because i have a nice stiff and reasonably long deck i can set back to work very well in the deep.

each year skis get better, I liked my Line - all mountain skis last year, I love my Volkl Karmas this year! I am thinking NASTAR next time out in them, I suspect they are faster than my atomics.

BTW - I demoed the the Metrons hard.. about 8 solid runs... to turny to be a "one ski quiver" in my opinion

Edited by Papasteeze

last year, once i bought a 152 custom x, an expensive piece with the highest end wood board engineering, it was all i used, and this year after resurrecting the 143 from veritable retirement, my days have heavily favored the 143 white. it is very playful and obviously easy to toss around, but it also has surprising speed, stability, and even float. yes, technology is getting better and better, but you cant deny a good old formula that fits so well and is just plain fun.

Edited by skitzo

From what i gather, you being a first time skier and all, there is a WHOLE LOT of information on here that you don't need and probably makes no sense to you.

As a beginning skier you should be on a very light flexing ski, and when you stand the ski up next to you it should come up to your chin.

The simplest method for sizing skis is called the "head method." basically, a new skier should have skis that come up to their chin, intermediate should come to the nose, and experts should have skis that come up to their forehead.

So I hope that made it simple enough for you. Just make sure they come up to your chin and you should be fine.

The simplest method for sizing skis is called the "head method." basically, a new skier should have skis that come up to their chin, intermediate should come to the nose, and experts should have skis that come up to their forehead.

assuming roughly average girth, this is the way to fly.