ASRA Live Timing

Ski

Kind of cool...today's slalom race at KMart is happening right now and Live Timing is handling the scoring and the results are live:

http://www.live-timing.com/race.php?r=2362&u=10&pc=1&maxr=10

Metzy crashed in yesterday's GS, but was 31st after the first run of today's slalom. He's currently in line at the top of the race course for run #2, which is underway...

Bernie Resch had the second fastest time in the first run, but had to hike a gate in run 2 and dropped to 8th, behind leader Mike Mezzetti.

*Metzy is on-deck...

*Metzy is on course...

*Metzy finished!

He had almost identical 1st and second run times of 46.11 and 46.10. His second run was 36th fastest, with several racers left. He's currently in 27th place.

27 198 METZLER, Chris 5 46.11 (31) 46.10 (36) 1:32.21

Holy, sh*t! Results are unofficial, but it looks like Metzy won his class. He's in with the higher handicap guys, but some have been around for years.

Holy, crap!

One page is showing him DQ'd, while another is showing him 27th (1st in his class). The classes, btw, aren't age class for Nationals, but 'average handicap' classes. Metzy did ski the entire second run and cross the finish line and get a time of 46.10. But one page is showing him as possibly missing a gate.

The "age class" page is showing a DSQ for Run 1...his 46.11 time isn't there.

The ASRA computer program assigns people to age classes, but at Nationals you compete against racers in your gender that are of the same ability. Metzy is in class 5 "ability", not class 5 "age".

Any updates?????

We'll have to wait to hear from Metzy. It's never a good sign when there's any hint of a DSQ around your name. Raw timing will show that you started and finished, but if a results page has letters instead of numbers, it almost always means bad things.

I'm glad Metz didn't get hurt. This summer Metz is going to show me some of the trendy Bound Brook bars. As long as he doesn't do his Corky impression...plus he's going to hook me up with free buckets of balls at the driving range he works at.....go Metz you can do it... :rock

I work at a driving range. dont know what signifagance it has to this thread though.

We'll have to wait to hear from Metzy. It's never a good sign when there's any hint of a DSQ around your name. Raw timing will show that you started and finished, but if a results page has letters instead of numbers, it almost always means bad things.

Text message I just got says DQ. That's all I have though. Really hoping that I either imagined that message or that he meant yesterday.

Edited by lastduchess113

Alright everyone, I'll fill ya in on just what happened up at K-Mart.

Conditions were horrible all week. Rainy and 50 degrees... Not good news when you run DFL. Either way, on saturday for the championship GS I decided I was going to go after it hard. The course set for the first run was incredible. I really liked it. The top was technical with a tricky transition onto the headwall. The headwall was set for speed, speed, and more speed. the gates were far apart, without much offset. This led into an EXTREMELY technical flat at the bottom, with an undergate and 2 transitions. All in all, I think they do an AMAZING job setting courses at Killington.

On my first run I came out of the gate hard and skied the top section EXTREMELY fast. I was well ahead of the course when I took the transition to the headwall. I went a little higher than most people did on the first gate of the headwall, in order to be able to carry a ridiculous amount of speed into the lower section. The course had other plans for me though. Coming around that first gate on the headwall I was really booking. My left ski cleared the huge cross-rut, but my right didn't. It was like I hit the eject button. I catapulted out over the front of my skis, and that was the end of my run. I did have some fun though- once I stopped myself from sliding I realized both my skis were at the bottom of the hill. So I did what any fun loving racer would do- I treated the head wall like a giant slip n slide and dove head-first down it in my suit... :rock

Sunday's slalom was a great course set as well, with two flushes, and a three gate flush set up at the bottom part. They also set us a small practice course off to the right near the bottom. I used to practice course to learn how to properly cross-block a gate, and also to get used to the sl skis I was on, as they were rentals. I was skiing the first run exceptionally well considering my experience in slalom. Six gates from the finish, however, I came out of the three gate flush and I got confused. I missed the gate I should have skied through, stopped for a second, couldn't figure out what gate I had to hike, and then skied through the rest of the course, registering a time of 46.11 after a full stop on course. I was really disappointed. So I took my second run, and registered a 46.10. Aparently if I had finished I would have taken gold in my ability class. I'm not terribly upset, as this was only the second slalom that I've ever raced. All that my times tell me is that if I hadn't DSQ'ed I would have had a fantastic race. I've got a lot to build on for next year, and I can't wait.

My GS run was actually really satisfying. I didn't finish, but I went after it with everything I had. I'm much happier with this result, than if I had raced and been afraid to give it my all. After the slalom I was hanging out with Bernie Resch and Dave Moore for a little while, and aparently there's a GS at Roundtop this Saturday... I'm thinking I'm going to head out there, just to get a chance to charge some more gates.

As far as the awards and parties go- There were definitely some fun times to be had afer the races!

The door prizes were great too! I have now joined Doug on "Team IcyHot." :rofl Other door prizes I took home were a swix shot glass, some universal wax, and finally, my big one, a pair of Marker Titanium 12.0 Turbo bindings. Not bad at all!!!!

On one final note, no plaques were given out for age class points leaders, so I have no prizes for anyone, including myslef... sorry to those of you that placed well. I could have used something cool to bring home...

Yeahh METZ!!! :rock Sound great... (what a flush though?)

It's sort of like it sounds: the slalom gates are close together, or "flush". They are to create a rhythm change in a course. They are either single or double flush combinations.

What's an undergate...?

It's a long turn around two sets of gates in the same direction.

PS

Congrats, Metz, on doing it; on going after it; and, on having a cool attitude about it.

Thanks so much guys for all the support. Its really awesome to have people following how I'm doing. Like I said in the other thread, I wish I could have given ya a little more to cheer about, but there's always next year! I feel like there's a lot to build on for next year, and my big goal is to become a much better slalom skier.

Well, during this season ASRA hosted 7 Slaloms. They also do gate training 2 or 3 times a year which really will give me a chance to work on my technique. I really feel like training and excelling in the technical events is the way for me to improve my skiing the most. Also, I'm narrowing down the school selection now. I want to go to school right in the middle of the ASRA schedule. That way up north I can make day trips, and for the southern races I can stay at home.

On a side note- slalom is my new favorite event. Its such a cool feeling running a course like that.

Like I said in the other thread, I wish I could have given ya a little more to cheer about, but there's always next year!

Metzy boy:

I've done ASRA's finals 2 or 3 times, and words cannot describe how horrible the conditions ALWAYS are. ASRA could go in the Guiness Book of World Records for this. The number of DNFs and DNSs speaks for itself - it's usually about 1/3 for the first two days and most people give up and free ski by day 3. You deserve an award just to get through all three days.

BTW, the Season's openers aren't much better -

Metzy boy:

I've done ASRA's finals 2 or 3 times, and words cannot describe how horrible the conditions ALWAYS are. ASRA could go in the Guiness Book of World Records for this. The number of DNFs and DNSs speaks for itself - it's usually about 1/3 for the first two days and most people give up and free ski by day 3. You deserve an award just to get through all three days.

BTW, the Season's openers aren't much better -

Metzy was just .44 seconds off the podium in his class in Friday's race, finishing in 4th, behind a friend of mine from numerous race camps.