Just arrived in Jackson!

ThinkSnow

Ok, after quite a long day I've finally made it to my motel room and hooked up to the wonderfully free wireless internet..

So, my day.... The original plan was to get on a 7:30 flight to chicago, and catch a flight from there to Jackson, well the weather didn't agree with that plan. Our flight to chicago got delayed, and therefore scratched our second flight. We ended up at the airport at 5:45 am with no flight to catch, and come to find out we've been re-booked on a philly-dallas-jackson route that leaves philly at 1:30. So, we decide to head back to my place to get some breakfast and a nap.

So we head back to the airport around noonish, and of course the plane to Dallas is running almost an hour behind. We managed to get in the air and still have time for our connection, so that was a plus. The best thing of the day was that we got bumped into first class for the dallas-jackson flight. I've never flown first class before, but man, it was nice...

We arrived in Jackson to some dust on the ground and flurrying, 18 degrees. Now it's time to relax and shower and get some rest, hitting the slopes early in the morning!

Will keep you posted!

Wow! Got my butt kicked today, this place is awesome! I ended up only doing 5 runs (about 15k vert), but I found some real nice stuff, and finally saw what a real black diamond is supposed to feel like. I hit up a couple of little ravines which actually had some ice, but were tons of fun. I did one gondola run, and the main thing I noticed was the difference between the top and bottom. At the bottom is was flurrying, light wind, and about 30 degrees. By the time I got to the top it was 5-10 degrees, heavy winds, and felt like a friggin blizzard. I ran a "steezy" (figured I'd follow Doug's write-up style) run down the rendezvous bowl and down to lower sublet ridge and Rawlins bowl, which was my favorite. Anywho, time for food, beer, shower, and hot tub... not necessarily in that order. Gotta catch the 8am bus tomorrow, supposed to get a dump tonight from what I hear.

Later!

Ditch the girl and ski!!! 15k is unacceptable! I just did 25k on 160cm slalom skis in spring snow...you have no excuse. :woot

'Tomic. Its easy to rack-up big vert on familiar east-coast groomers. Runs at Jackson are, literally, individual adventures. Its not quantity that counts, its the quality of the challenge. If Jackson gets hit with big pow, ThinkSnow will be pushing it to hit another 15k tomorrow. In Utah, last week, with all the powder, there was no way I was going to accumulate vert the way I do here on the little pea-sized hills of PA. When you're making western runs down places you've never been before, you tend to slow down and look. It's a piece of cake to fly down the runs you've been down a thousand times before. Take yer time ThinkSnow, and savor every second of your days in Jackson. - Volkl

'Tomic. Its easy to rack-up big vert on familiar east-coast groomers. Runs at Jackson are, literally, individual adventures. Its not quantity that counts, its the quality of the challenge. If Jackson gets hit with big pow, ThinkSnow will be pushing it to hit another 15k tomorrow. In Utah, last week, with all the powder, there was no way I was going to accumulate vert the way I do here on the little pea-sized hills of PA. When you're making western runs down places you've never been before, you tend to slow down and look. It's a piece of cake to fly down the runs you've been down a thousand times before. Take yer time ThinkSnow, and savor every second of your days in Jackson. - Volkl

:banghead

I did 35k in knee deep powder at Alta, two days in a row....but I'm also in good shape... :yes

I did 35k in knee deep powder at Alta, two days in a row....but I'm also in good shape... :yes

Alrighty A-hole, tomorrow when you're in school, think about me... I'm not out here to be some kind of vert whore. I'm out here to enjoy a new mountain a new town. I just got back from a nice BBQ place for dinner that was good, and I'm headed out to hit the town shortly. It seems like a bit of an issue to me that the only reason you ski is to brag about some silly numbers.

By the way, the girl you want me to ditch did great today, and really enjoyed herself, the smile was worth 100k.

Anywho, I'm out to more important things :) Thanks for the backup Doug, VY, Sib!

Alrighty A-hole, tomorrow when you're in school, think about me... I'm not out here to be some kind of vert whore. I'm out here to enjoy a new mountain a new town. I just got back from a nice BBQ place for dinner that was good, and I'm headed out to hit the town shortly. It seems like a bit of an issue to me that the only reason you ski is to brag about some silly numbers.

By the way, the girl you want me to ditch did great today, and really enjoyed herself, the smile was worth 100k.

Anywho, I'm out to more important things :) Thanks for the backup Doug, VY, Sib!

:rocks

:wub:

Out here in Jackson with ThinkSnow and the "girl" aka "snowbunny" my sis and we're having an awesome time! Wow, Atomic is so cool with all those vertical feet logged. I wanna be just like him when I grow up. But hey its all good. Today alone I did 123,456,789 vertical feet!

That's alot of runs :yes

You better ramp up! My goal is 2 million if they close the 26th...I gotta average like 25k a day, which I've been doing, so it's not out of the picture.....

And my goal was only to beat MY record of two seasons back, as much as I'd like to beat you I've said several times I don't think it's doable OR desirable. I spent one day intentionally bombing groomers just to rack up the vert and it was BORING. (Although we don't have a lot of powder in the trees at the moment, so I'm doing a lot of groomers this week anyway.)

ThinkSnow, You have the right idea. Some of us realize that western skiing is more than elbowing one's way onto a high speed quad, then racing back down non-stop to elbow your way back onto a high speed quad and do it all over again.

First, there are the views to soak in. The enjoyment of variable conditions on runs that drop 2000+ feet. The willingness to stop and take photos of cool places and untracked stashes. Its about having a smile on your face whether you're heading downhill, across hill, fluffing in the pow, or riding back up on slow-poke double chair. Its about meeting people and making some new friends.

I'd rather have a blast on a lazy, well-paced 10-15k Jackson day than cope with the silliness of breaking 35k. This is the difference between rat-raced easterners and laid-back westerners. Don't just go to Jackson Hole: BE Jackson Hole. The locals in the Wasatch absolutely despise the rat-raced easterners. Have a good time in the pow. Volkl

I spent one day intentionally bombing groomers just to rack up the vert and it was BORING.

I heard that! 8-10 runs first thing in the morning are fun to do quickly, after that it is so boring.. Western trips for me are to try and do a different trail every run - I head as far out and away as early as possible and work my way back always stopping to take it "all" in

Out here in Jackson with ThinkSnow and the "girl" aka "snowbunny" my sis and we're having an awesome time! Wow, Atomic is so cool with all those vertical feet logged. I wanna be just like him when I grow up. But hey its all good. Today alone I did 123,456,789 vertical feet!

Hahaha...she's been a member for a year and a half and her first post is to yell at Jeff.

8-10 runs first thing in the morning are fun to do quickly, after that it is so boring..

Wow, Pops, we finally agree on something. I like to whack in back-to-back runs for 1 1/2 or 2 hours, then look for someone or somewhere to add diversity. Going for a laid back day, without first blowing off excess steam, just doesn't work for me.

Don't worry about how many runs you have to do, or vert, that doesn't matter. When i rode stowe for 2 days i didn't do many runs, as far as lift riding. We hiked the chin, and had epic pow shots all the way down, had some sick tree runs off of hayride, but in total i maybe rode the lift 10-12 times in two days, but it was the best trip ive had in my 8 years of riding thus far. Ride to have fun, and enjoy yourself, not compete for some stupid numbers.

Have a great trip in Jackson bro, sounds like it already kicking off pretty well.

Wow, Pops, we finally agree on something. I like to whack in back-to-back runs for 1 1/2 or 2 hours, then look for someone or somewhere to add diversity. Going for a laid back day, without first blowing off excess steam, just doesn't work for me.

sooooo joining me for shots at 2am before race day is out of the question? huh? Drop the kids at the ski team room and make laps on cliffy was my MO for 15 or so days we were at CB

OOOOPS - sorry for the Hijack Think. so, upload some pics!!

Edited by Papasteeze

Well, today was awesome, I skied off the Apre Vous chair most of the day and had tons of untracked pow, it was sick! It was great seeing brie cut her first "first tracks".

I hung out in the saratoga bowl for a couple runs, and it was definitely insane. There were several tree runs I made where I was in waist deep powder...

Anywho, haven't gotten many good pics yet, but tomorrow will be a photo day.

Here's a couple we've gotten.

post-1-1142465730_thumb.jpg

post-1-1142465803_thumb.jpg

post-1-1142465859_thumb.jpg

Hahaha...she's been a member for a year and a half and her first post is to yell at Jeff.

Hehe, actually that was Brie's brother Bryan who is out here in the group we're in. Brielle is SnowBunny

Awesome, Saratoga bowl is definitely the bomb deezy..although it's on the so-called intermediate part of the mountain there are so many steep lines to enjoy fresh poe. I guess you went to Bubba's BBQ last night. I'm partial to the brisket, either the platter with fries and baked beans or the brisket sandwich on Texas toast. Keep posting from your trip... :rock

Yeah, for me the Saratoga bowl was more my speed, and was still challenging with lots of pow.

As for food, yeah, I went to Bubba's last night and got a rack of ribs with some fries and corn on the cob for like $13, good shit! Right now I just got back from Gun Barrel Steak and Game House, where I had a real nice Elk dinner... It was different but very good. I sucked down a few snake river lagers to liven up the night, and it's looking pretty good. I think we're gonna be headed to bed soon and getting a late start tomorrow after a nice breakfast.

I'll be getting some better pictures to share with you all tomorrow!