Base Cleaning

Schif

Well the last time I was out it was obvioulsy spring conditions and when I got home my base was covered in dirt. I've got a bright orange base too so It was extremely obvious that it was pretty bad. I took it right down stairs and scraped. I got some dirt off, but not nearly all of it. How should I go about cleaning this off?

Many people say that base cleaners dry out your bases and remove all the wonderful layers of wax you've been adding all season, which you don't want to do. Your skis should be getting better and better the longer you own them.

isnt it a very polished and conditioned structure beyond a grind that multiple waxings get you?

No the continous waxings saturate your bases to a point where they are as fast as they will get. In the beginning, my skis sucked up the wax, because they were new. After awhile, they really don't absorb that much wax on a day to day basis, that's what multiple waxings get you. You can tell, especially on a flat section, where I just pull away from Doug, even at super slow speeds. Though intially, you want to brush alot to break up the structure. The key to fast bases is brushing and waxing. Repeat about 20 times, and you'll start to have faster skis :)

Warm wax penetrates the base deeper, and more easilly, therefor provides a slightly better cleaning action.....

I have talked to the technical guys for ski manufacturers at trade shows and they all recommend hot-wax-scraping. No base cleaners, they said. (Yeah they talk like Yoda).

For tips on this click here.