Can I ski Utah alone?

Timeless

For anyone that's been out west, is it safe / practical to go alone?

I've suddenly been given the opportunity (free money from work and an understanding wife :D ) to get a last minute trip out west for a few days (most likely Utah given the recent conditions).

This would be my first trip out west and all the people I normally ride with are not able to get time off from work / wives etc so now I'm wondering if I should just head out there anyway.

I'm thinking of staying in sandy (outskirts of SLC) and hitting Brighton, Solitude and Snowbird over three days.

Any thoughts?

If your doing BC riding then it's never safe to go alone. If your just sticking to groomers i don't see a problem. Volkl skiied utah alone i believe. Just try to hook up with some locals and you'll have a blast.

You will be alright just stay within boundaries, when I was there this year I almost got suck in a gully, I went off the trsil figurung the trail I was on was going to wrap around. It didn't and I had to hike out of a gully for about an hour in two feet of snow. I thought I was going to be spending the night there, very scary. Definitley stay inbounds and try to meet people to ride with, the people out there are very chill and laid back and probably won't mind yopu tagging along. You should definitley go if you have never been out there. What resorts you plan on going to?

I don't think Alta has this, but some mountains, including Big Mountain and Lake Louise, have "ambassadors" or "friends" or "hosts" to give you a free tour of the place. I'd definitely take advantage of this.

I ski alone all the time, have done it for years. I'd stay in bounds, of course, since you won't be familiar with the area, but if you are skiing midweek, usually you can find a local at some point who might show you some other stuff. Don't be too "East Coast"/high pressure or gaperish on the lift.

I absolutely say yes, you can ski Utah alone. I have taken a few trips out west, and every one of them I skied alone. My last trip was to Utah in Feb. Fantastic week. Great skiing, never alone. You will meet people, especially locals. Snow Basin and Alta are great mountains that always have tons of friendly locals. You will have a great time. Ski the whole mountain. I did. The only place I would be careful about is the tree skiing on deep powder days if it looks like no one else is in the trees. You do not want to get buried up to your nose when there is nobody in site.

But ski it. Explore and find the wildest bowls and steeps. You will never forget it.

Wake up early, eat a huge breakfast and get out early to the lifts; chew up massive vertical and then do it again the next day. There are always cool B and G?s to catch a bite.

Yea, it is safe. I did Park City, Deer Valley, Alta, Snow Basin, Vail, Beaver Creek and Steamboat alone. Did the whole mountain.

From the Park City or Salt Lake City areas you can get easy and cheap tranportation to all the mountains. You must do Alta and Snow Basin.

Edited by Ted

:wiggle:wiggle:wiggle:wiggle:wiggle

OK it's booked, I leave Friday morning. Plan is to Ski Friday evening at Brighton, Saturday at Solitude, Sunday at Snowbird, Monday either the Canyons or Park City.

I'm so f'in excited, this weeks going to seem soooo long :banghead

:woot:woot:woot:woot

:wiggle:wiggle:wiggle:wiggle:wiggle

OK it's booked, I leave Friday morning. Plan is to Ski Friday evening at Brighton, Saturday at Solitude, Sunday at Snowbird, Monday either the Canyons or Park City.

I'm so f'in excited, this weeks going to seem soooo long :banghead

:woot:woot:woot:woot

Congrats!!!! Have fun! Get the combo ticket on any bluebird day