A 27 Point GS Racer in the House????

Ski

If at some point in my life I was a 27 point giant slalom racer, I'd have T-shirts made up. Just how fast is a 27 point racer? US Olympian Marco Sullivan is a high 27 point racer. It's not his specialty, but he's raced the event his entire career.

The current Vermont J2 State Champ has 36 points; former PA champ and current CAT coach Randy D. has 75; and, our favorite Masters' racer JohnnyP has 90.

Former World Cup racer and Nastar National Pacesetter (and NSA alumn from the class of '86) AJ Kitt had 62 points in GS when he was ending his international career in '97-'98!

We need some cool stories, Duane. Who was at NSA with you? Any dirt? Pictures? What did you race on? What DH's did you win? What kind of recruiting did you get from colleges? And a top 30 DH ranking while skiing out of NY is amazing. Did you ski Intermountain at all? If so, tell us about some of the venues. Did you race FIS?

This is a helluva lot more interesting than griping about fishermen...

what is that smell? :confused could be a burnt bridge :confused:wiggle

To a ski shop owner in Delaware? Yeah, that's it genius. Did you mean to NSA? I have a friend who is a member of the BOD...because I don't buy from The Ski Bum probably doesn't have much consequence as to whether or not Ty attends NSA.

Duane hasn't spent much time with us here, but then offhandedly divulges that he was a top 30 USSA downhiller, which is just outside the sites of the USST. And competing out of NY, he would have won at Whiteface, Sugarloaf, and Mount Snow. If you recall, I spent the mid/late 80's working at Mount Snow and we were regularly recruited to help with races. I have tons of pics stashed away and I'm sure I could match up some bib numbers for him.

And for further perspective, a top 75 SG skier is about 53 points, which is FAR better than US Ski Teamer Chip Knight (63.76) and Tom Rothrock (76.09).

your point is what? Your post epitomizes that stereotypical attitude of the "higher than almighty" attitude in US racing that is so detrimental to growth.

It's great that you cracked open a thesaurus and a dictionary for that post.

And you somehow claim to know what is and isn't good for the growth of US skiing?

Let's set aside the bullsh*t rhetoric and approach that practically. Bear Creek has an opening for a head racing coach. Did you prepare yourself to step up to the role? Or are you another unprepared dad sitting on the sidelines all set to complain that 'it isn't going well'? Like you do at Camelback and your fishing tournaments.

A NYSEF kid that gets a top 30 USSA point profile in DH puts him on the level of an Andrew Weibrecht, who is from NYSEF and is now on the USST's B Team, I believe. And combine that with 27 points in GS? That's legendary stuff, Rob. Let's hear some cool stories!

Once upon a time there was a dad with a kid who wanted to race, but then one night he heard certain racing fanatic belting out his true colors.......................... :rolleyes:

"Belting out his true colors", eh?

That I consider Nastar a fun, recreational program not to be confused with the competitive USSA program?

That I dislike 'showboating' and would kick a kid off a team for being disrespectful of fellow racers, competitors, or coaches?

That I have zero tolerance for the crime that is hazing?

That I believe in positive reinforcement coaching?

That I believe if a parent has a problem with a coach, he/she should take the issue behind closed doors instead of trying to publicly humiliate the coach and his staff?

Imagine this scenario, Rob:

Imagine Bode Miller crashes in a slalom and does some damage to his ACL (I'll use ACL because it has been Bode's problem in the past). He ices it, gets an MRI that shows some damage, but they can't tell the extent without surgery, then rests it for a week. Then Bode drives 100 miles to a tiny, short little public race course to take a few runs. He takes just a fraction of his pain meds and gets on the chair and heads to the course. The purpose of his night is to see if his season is over. The doctors have told him he's taking a big risk, but he has to know. He has to see for himself. He pushes out of the wand okay, but every gate impact sends a jolt of pain through his body. He literally sees stars and the pain takes his breath away. But he also sees some hope. By his third run, he thinks there's hope that he can deal with the pain; it doesn't get worse and he thinks that with some ice and rest, he'll be back in a couple of weeks.

Oh, and I fogot to mention a kid and his dad standing on the side of the remote, empty course, unknown to Bode at the time. During some of the gate impacts, Bode cries out "Shit" or "F*ck" or "Damnit" into the night as damaged ligaments are stressed. Keep in mind, though, that this is a father that promotes the nickname of one of his young sons as a sexual reference to a female body part.

Some people might see what Bode was doing as a positive, perhaps inspiring display of competitive character. A little stupid? Wreckless? Sure. But anyone that ever saw that Ironman Triathalon woman stumbling and crawling toward the finish would understand.

Some people, however, are so self-involved and hypocritical that they grab onto the fact that Bode said "Shit" as he crashed a gate in agony. The dad jumps up and down on the side of the race course, shouting "He said 'shit', he said 'shit'..."

We're from different worlds, Rob.

Was this topic broken off from another which I didn't read? What "House" are you talking about? Is this a message board member who is making claims or something? Are the points USSA, FIS, or NASTAR? 26 points is pretty boring for a NASTAR handicap -- something I might achieve if I put my mind to it.

Was this topic broken off from another which I didn't read? What "House" are you talking about? Is this a message board member who is making claims or something? Are the points USSA, FIS, or NASTAR? 26 points is pretty boring for a NASTAR handicap -- something I might achieve if I put my mind to it.

http://www.paskiandride.com/forums/index.p...indpost&p=83990

^^ This is what is being discussed. Perhaps there is another thread somewhere else with additional info. I don't see any claims in here about being a 27 point racer in the above thread. Maybe they never existed, maybe the magic edit button had something to do with it.

:confused

^^ This is what is being discussed. Perhaps there is another thread somewhere else with additional info. I don't see any claims in here about being a 27 point racer in the above thread. Maybe they never existed, maybe the magic edit button had something to do with it.

Thanks for the link, I hadn't read that thread, being a bit far from the shop...

I think there should be some time limits on the editing myself. Like, an hour later is too late to change things.

Thanks for the link, I hadn't read that thread, being a bit far from the shop...

I think there should be some time limits on the editing myself. Like, an hour later is too late to change things.

We (staff) dicussed this a while ago and decided against it. I'll bring it up again, (I personally agree with you on this).

:confused not only is there no mention of 27 points - that post doesn't appear to be edited either.

Top 30 DH points this year would be something in the low 40's. Top 75 GS would give you 27 points. That is probably where the points came from. Of course, would that have been the same 15 years ago? Who knows? I went back to the 2004-2005 Fall points rankings and the points for number 75 were 38, so obviously that can vary markedly over time.

Edited by sibhusky

Maybe you shouldn't be posting when you're drunk. Whole threads lose their points when people start editing. Maybe first you say something inflammatory, papasteeze replies, ski999 joins in...then you change what you said, making papasteeze look like an idiot for carrying on, and maybe ski999 would have stayed out of it completely except for papasteeze having joined in and we get our typical Twilight Zone free-for-all. You can't "unsay" what you say on the phone or in a letter or an email, why should this type of conversation be any different? People should be stuck taking responsibility for their remarks.

Maybe you shouldn't be posting when you're drunk.

Agreed, think before you post. I don't mind editing soon after, as sometimes there are simple corrections, mispellings, fixed links, additional info... Changing after the conversation is underway breaks the thread.

Maybe we can do away with moderator editing while we are at it :)

Maybe you shouldn't be posting when you're drunk. Whole threads lose their points when people start editing. Maybe first you say something inflammatory, papasteeze replies, ski999 joins in...then you change what you said, making papasteeze look like an idiot for carrying on, and maybe ski999 would have stayed out of it completely except for papasteeze having joined in and we get our typical Twilight Zone free-for-all. You can't "unsay" what you say on the phone or in a letter or an email, why should this type of conversation be any different? People should be stuck taking responsibility for their remarks.

Hey! I take offense to that! I do some of my best work drunk! Doug, your just a pussy. I could have edited all the remarks I had for Harrisburg a while back, but NO, I sat in the corner for 2 days and took my punishment. Be a man!

:ph34r:

Edited by First Grade Teacher