? for Dharrisburg

bigdaddyk

Conditions right now at Timberline are pretty awesome. They had a ton of snow this winter and were pretty good about catting it down right after it stopped snowing, so it's holding up pretty well against the heat.

Lifts open at 7:00 and close at 1:30. Ski racers are there for first chair and usually are gone by 11:00-12:00. Our camp is on-hill by 10:00-10:30 and we stay until 3:00. The snow is pretty firm until around 10:00, and by 2:00 it's super slushy. They groom and salt every night and every morning, and as race camps leave you can go ride their (heavily salted) lanes on the snowfield. We salt the hell out of the snow to keep it rideable.

Conditions right now at Timberline are pretty awesome. They had a ton of snow this winter and were pretty good about catting it down right after it stopped snowing, so it's holding up pretty well against the heat.

Lifts open at 7:00 and close at 1:30. Ski racers are there for first chair and usually are gone by 11:00-12:00. Our camp is on-hill by 10:00-10:30 and we stay until 3:00. The snow is pretty firm until around 10:00, and by 2:00 it's super slushy. They groom and salt every night and every morning, and as race camps leave you can go ride their (heavily salted) lanes on the snowfield. We salt the hell out of the snow to keep it rideable.

I take it that it's mostly camps now and not many people from the general public?

Helps hold the jumps shape and makes a nice landing

It's a special compound that melts the snow to form a different molecular structure to allow the water to freeze at higher temperatures. And it works miracles! I've skied on Razors Edge at Blue after the race team salted it for practice. It was hard as a rock, not to mention it was 45 degrees and pouring rain.

I looked around a little and couldn't find anything. I did find that adding a solute (i.e. salt) always lowers the freezing point. I think the fact that it makes it firm is caused because by the lowering of the freezing point the snow requires more energy to remain frozen, so it takes energy from the surrounding snow that doesn't have salt in it, causing it to freeze. (Kind of like maing ice cream.)

Now I just have to figure out why I care.