Sucks when someone does something stupid in the park!

snorovr

Papa you say mountains are devoting more and more to park? Maybe in the east, where the mountains don't have shit to work with, out west out of all those resorts how many of them actually have GOOD parks. Not so many. People are more concerned about natural terrain.

And Alta no longer has a park, for all you skiers

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Papa you say mountains are devoting more and more to park? Maybe in the east, where the mountains don't have shit to work with, out west out of all those resorts how many of them actually have GOOD parks.

huh :confused I don't think I have been to a western mountain in the last 3 years that didn't have a park. Where do you go? I have been going west for 30 years, every time I return to a place that I had been to before, I see more trails filled with park features than the previous visit. Every year there are more and more and bigger parks. Twin tip sales are consistently up every year while the overall market has been flat.. It's not rocket science... Even this board, the majority of the users here are park related, or they are the most vocal, whatever. The trend is taking over even here at PASR :rock

I believe your alone on this one Papa. Please explain to my why Alta no longer has a park then?

Have they ever?

They don't allow boarders there, and people are probably used to finding sick cliffs to drop over jumps.

Who would want to ski in a park, if they could find bigger and sweet cliffs to go off of?

But I do agree with you saying Rob is wrong on this one.

I believe your alone on this one Papa. Please explain to my why Alta no longer has a park then?

Maybe you have a lot more of annual western experience than I do. I am stating my opinion based on my observations. Alta is like Deer Valley as far as I am concerned. 1 unique resort that targets a specific market does not establish the overall trends.

They don't allow boarders there, and people are probably used to finding sick cliffs to drop over jumps.

Brighton is the hot spot for that. How ever I do have some BC video from Alta from about 5 years ago that I came across.

How many of you park rats would stay in a park outwest? I mean they do have some huge jumps in them...But wouldn't it be more fun to just do it all in the woods?

amen. when we were in whistler last year, we skied park for a total about about 8 hours out of 4 days, and thats because the snow elsewhere crusted over or the visibility up top was super bad. same deal with steamboat when i was out there. we spent about a day and a half out of seven in the park. when there are cliffs, cornices, pillow lines, and trees to be skied, parks are a waste of time. unfortunately, parks and race courses are all we have here in PA.

Also on my one trip to montage last year, i jumped the last headwall on cannonball, of course some jackass was there(mind you i was on the very edge to try and aviod everyone) I was waiting for my gf at the lift, and this douche comes up to me, and tells me im wreckless.. Maybe i am sometimes, but wouldn't it be smart to sit somewhere that you can be seen??

haha ya everything happens either on cannonball or at the bottom of white lightning at montage.Two years ago my friend was tucking down lightning and of couse some noob skiier comes across from boomer right at the bottom of lightning in the way of my friends path.My friend was probably going atleast 50 down lightning he couldnt stop in time so he tried turning and the compression at the bottom made he fall while turning he missed the net on the side by like 5 feet and crashed right into a tree fractured his back and like broke a finger...all he cared about was his goggles haha.He takes so much care of his goggles and they were sooo fucked haha.He just got them to.

And also on cannonball we get yelled at for going switch and 2 years ago my friend who got hurt on lightning got yelled at for going switch in the park lol!!!!

^duuuude that sucks you get yelled at for riding switch ahahaha

jf's the best for riding switch i love it

but yeah we have tons and tons of people that like to sit in the landings of rails and boxes. such a pleasant surprise when you're grinding and you find some kid laying there. now sometimes its not anyones fault, they just fell and you cant tell if they got up or not, just the way the slopes are.

but yeah. sucks sometimes.

Edited by megan

Also on my one trip to montage last year, i jumped the last headwall on cannonball, of course some jackass was there(mind you i was on the very edge to try and aviod everyone) I was waiting for my gf at the lift, and this douche comes up to me, and tells me im wreckless.. Maybe i am sometimes, but wouldn't it be smart to sit somewhere that you can be seen??

Ski can tell you, I never slow down for Cannonballs headwalls. As much air as i can. Two things that stick out of my mind about jumping headwalls on cannonball are to good ones. First, My friend and I both jumped off the headwall, i went about 3 seconds before him, and when we got to the bottom, i turned, and i didnt look and he close lined me. I gave him the best black eye ever and fucked my knee up. Second, the same friend jumped over the third headwall, and cleared one of the guys going up on a snowmobile.

amen. when we were in whistler last year, we skied park for a total about about 8 hours out of 4 days, and thats because the snow elsewhere crusted over or the visibility up top was super bad. same deal with steamboat when i was out there. we spent about a day and a half out of seven in the park. when there are cliffs, cornices, pillow lines, and trees to be skied, parks are a waste of time. unfortunately, parks and race courses are all we have here in PA.

to each his own, I am speaking for nipples when I say that we tour world class resorts frequently and he never sees the mountain, rarely leaves the park.

I predict that terrain park competitions will eventually go the way racing has.

Nope, park riding is a closer relative to bump sking. While running gates utilzes skills learned from free riding and merely pushes those skills to the limit, both park and bump skiing use a largely different skill set.

Nope, park riding is a closer relative to bump sking. While running gates utilzes skills learned from free riding and merely pushes those skills to the limit, both park and bump skiing use a largely different skill set.

I wasn't talking about skills, I was alluding to the organizations that take the fun out of competitive skiing that you have to join.

yeah when i go out west i do like 10 park runs maybe like 20 mammoth was a perfect example i skiied park half a day.. man that place is so awesome i highly sugest everyone goes there.. off that tangent though pow is more fun than park for me so id rather bamb through trees and do like 1's and 3's off little sliffs and little wind lips and shit while i can out there and leave teh park to the 95% of teh skiing i do here in PA

How many of you park rats would stay in a park outwest? I mean they do have some huge jumps in them...But wouldn't it be more fun to just do it all in the woods?

I said that awhile ago... people would rather ride natural terrain rather then a park.

Skiing out west is kinda like surfing. If you are stuck at a resort, then stuff gets tracked out after a few days. Say it doesn't snow for a few weeks. Just like the waves die down. Thats where parks come into play. It gives people something new and exciting. This board is a rough place to ask that question because the majority of people are in PA. Whenever I'm somewhere with big mountains I'm gonna ski the bowls whether they are crappy or not. Lots of kids out west ski the park primarily. Ya I think they're crazy, but different strokes for different folks.

The only times I wasn't lapping the park at Northstar last year were pow days, and the only reason I was at Northstar on a pow day was because I didn't have a pass anywhere else in North Lake and Sierra is too far away.

Woods don't have rails or jumps. Theoretically you could go drop cliffs but you can only really do that after a storm and you can only drop it so many times before the landing is beat.

If you're spending large amounts of money on a ski trip do yourself a favor and don't spend your entire trip in the park. You're riding features that can be found an hour from your house in PA, use your time more wisely and enjoy the natural terrain.

I wasn't talking about skills, I was alluding to the organizations that take the fun out of competitive skiing that you have to join.

... and the picture you painted with the organization left the room for skill development (for the park guys) non-existant. In the end racing is making turns, which can be done anywhere on the mountain, the basic skillset for racing can be developed anywhere on the mountain FOR FREE. Park riding will fall on it's face if it were to ever become restricted at the same level as a race course.

I'm not saying the race ideology is better, if fact I think it really sucks there aren't free public courses and I would jump on that bandwagon any day. The biggest thing that keeps me from running gates is money.

What I am saying is that racing can exist in that style of organization, park riding cannot, at least not at the skill level we are currently seeing.

Money is what the park is all about. People don't go to various mountain because of how great there (non-publicly available) race course is. People do choose to visit mountains based on their publically available parks. You think people haven't made the move to make money from the park... they are. The money is in the form of skier/rider visits.

In my opinion a private park doesn't make sense any way you look at it.

weren't you part of the Camelback race team??? For Punishment... :pwn3d::pwn3d:

You are an absolute ass. Either state the facts or don't spread shit like that about my kids. GOT IT?

Glen,

we are saying the same thing. My original post was a sarcastic jab and prediction of park in comparison with organized racing. Ridge gained all of his skills on the open mountain as Steven has from an "open" park.

As far as going west, eastern guys who have the chance to ski west, explore terrain that they don't have at home. no doubt. True Park rats stay mainly in the park..... nipples for example. Yea he ventures to other areas, but not often and only if it was someone elses idea.

Nipples told me that and that was more of a comeback when he called Racers queers. Thanks for the PM on SkierOnSkis site about going to suck a monkeys D***. Unfortunately there aren't any monkies in Allentown except porch monkies... :lol

I guess I am on SkierOnSkis message board the same way I give out phone numbers. If I have anything to say, I will say it directly to you. For example: Are you that stupid to think I sent you a PM on another board?

Back on subject. How about this, I think it would be stupid to allow the dougs of the world in the parks.