Ski Weight

skimom

On a semiserious topic, I'm deliberating the pros and cons of light skis. It seems that width, not weight, dictate which skis sink and stall out in powder. I haven't figured what effect heaviness has on ice. But, a heavy ski does better in slop. I have a feeling a heavier ski is faster too. A light ski should be less tiring, but if conditions are poor it can be a lot of work to get a play ski thru tough terrain. Assuming one's knees can handle the heaviness, I'm inclined to think heavy is better. I'm wondering everyones thoughts on ski heaviness...? Any advantages to light weight skis?

Having gone thru the knee surgery and all that goes with strenthening the knee for skiing every season which doesn't get any easier as you get older, I prefer a lighter ski. Usually on any given day, it performs well enough without causing fatigue. When those spring conditions come around, give me a pair of Volants any day. That heavy stiff ski will go thru anything at the price of fatigue fairly quick. I always have my Atomics and Volants with me . you never know when a quick change will be necessary.

PAX

I know this doesn't apply to you Skimom, but for us 'pinners, lighter skis are a heck of a lot nicer when you are skinning uphill! :D

That aside, in my alpine days, i skied a pair of Volkl Vertigo G31's when they first came out. Now that seemed like a pretty heavy ski to me...but i tell ya, if you could hold on, it did some pretty amazing things! Back in the days, i used to ski a really light pair of bump skis, but they were crap at high speed/crud (but they were'nt built for that kind of skiing anyway..). I guess i'd gravitate to a heavier ski. BTW, i'm not a big guy....maybe weigh a buck 30 or thereabouts, but i ski pretty aggresively and liked a pretty stable/heavy platform on alpine gear.

well, have a good rest of the summer (but it's like Enough Summer Already.....).

-freeheeler

i like to think of it like driving a car. The light car needs less power, has better handling, and better reponse. The heavy car is numb, plows through anything, needs more power, and handling is not as sharp. I wouldn't think a heavier ski would make ya go any faster, maybe slightly cause your adding to your overall momentum. Ski999 said his GS:11's are amazingly fast, and they are a pretty light ski. For skiing hardpack you want the light ski for lightning fast transitions

Light skis are for weak people.

:rofl

Most of the women's skis are lighter. They are made with lighter materials, but are made to be easier to flex, so a lighter ski at higher speeds will probably get all bouncy, bumpy, and all that good stuff.

I've skied on both types of skis. In my opinion, a heavier ski plows through slop and poor conditions better than a light ski does. Also a heavier ski handles speed better than a light ski. I can tell a difference when I switch from my atomics to my light skis (k2 escape 4500) When you go down a diamond a heavier ski absorbs the ski better than a light ski does. When I go down a diamond with my k2's they chatter and don't absorb the speed as well as the heavier ski does. The only thing with heavier skis is they are harder to turn then lighter skis are if you had any operations on your knee you may want to consider a lighter ski. Most womens skis are lighter than other models.

I've skied on both types of skis. In my opinion, a heavier ski plows through slop and poor conditions better than a light ski does. Also a heavier ski handles speed better than a light ski. I can tell a difference when I switch from my atomics to my light skis (k2 escape 4500) When you go down a diamond a heavier ski absorbs the ski better than a light ski does. When I go down a diamond with my k2's they chatter and don't absorb the speed as well as the heavier ski does. The only thing with heavier skis is they are harder to turn then lighter skis are if you had any operations on your knee you may want to consider a lighter ski. Most womens skis are lighter than other models.

what type atomics? because my gs:9's are helluva lot lighter then my friends 1080s :huh:

what type atomics? because my gs:9's are helluva lot lighter then my friends 1080s :huh:

lol for a minute I had to figure out what you meant by atomics I actually ment my pair of volkls (p60)

Hey, Skimom, my 2 cents.

There are stable heavy skis as well ask squirrely heavy skis. Some light skis are great in crud, some are terrible.

What makes a fast ski? Hermann Maier is the greatest modern day speed skier and he's on Atomics, with a specific combination of ingredients. Firstly, his bases are sintered, as opposed to extruded. We get extruded bases. Atomic techs find the absolute best roll of base material and slice off the premium, most pure sections. They come along and cut off the piece of meat with the least amount of fat and grissle; we get hot dogs made out of pig lips and chicken butts. All World Cup racers are on sintered bases, but the top racers for each line get the best base material.

That's what Bode meant went he crashed his "fastest" pair of Rossi's at the Beaver Creek downhill last season. He had a dozen pairs, but those were the fastest bases.

Another variable is the dampening device. Some like the Salomon bars, but Maier's above-average strength works best with the power channels that run the length of the Atomics.

The sidecut match is important because it's directly related to how you enter and leave a turn. And especially how you accelerate, once you release the pressure at the end of a turn.

There's been a long battle between wood core and foam core. Foam is generally regarded as lighter and viewed as a lower end material, although some high end skis use a process that gives great results.

A heavier skier has an advantage in a speed event, especially if there's a lot of tuck sections. Heavier kids have an advantage even in GS and SL, although turn execution takes over pretty quickly. Just watch a J5 race and the bigger the kid, the faster he/she reaches the second gate; who is faster by the finish is often the kid that turns better.

The combination I look for in a fast ski is the dampener and the stiffness. If I can run a ski all out and not have it chatter, then I don't necessarily care if it feels light or heavy. Stability at high speed means everything to me. Losing contact from the snow is the enemy. And if light were fast, then I want to race you with you flat and me on heavy-ass 8mm lifter plates; even a tiny bit of leverage overwhelms any thought of a weight issue.

I've heard doctors recommend womens skis to men that have had knee surgery. Seems to me that if you are skiing an unusually light ski for your size, then aren't you giving up stability and asking for trouble?

Bottom line is probably a bad answer to your simple question: if there was one specific combination for a fast ski, then there would be one brand---or lots of brands of the exact same kind of ski.

Just my 2 cents from my own experience and I could be completely wrong about everything...

I've had heavy skis - the Vipers - and light skis - my XP's. The XP's definitely handle the crud better than the Vipers. BUT the reason for this is they are shorter, so they are less work to get around the turn. That being said, the Vipers crush crud, don't chatter at speed, etc. They're fine as long as you are going straight, but they were too stiff and long for me to get them to turn in a reasonable length of time.

I wouldn't pay attention to weight except if you are down to two pair of skis and the only difference is weight. Then I'd go with the lightest because you'll ski a longer day.

• 5 weeks later...

a heavier ski gives you more stability, essentially. there is more mass to absorb vibration, and also more weight, which keeps the ski on the snow, so less chatter. a lighter ski is more maneuverable and livelier and snappier. thats essentially the difference. not much as far as speed or float in powder goes.

• 1 year later...

My buddy Tom skis on Seth Pistols and they are long, wide, and light, and they cut through slop alot better than my S-12s which are short, not so wide, and fairly heavy. Atomics skis are super heavy and they stink in slop. Anyway my new nickname on here is the thread reserrector so I'm going to work my magic in one second when I hit reply and then ThinkSnow can say...Holy Batman.

Haha, I was wondering if you would notice I put that there :)

Thanks for bringing us back to some good conversations ;)

What hasn't been mentioned here is "swing weight', where the weight is distibuted on the ski. ex: my Volants and Atomics (w/ a Neox) are bout the same weight, but the Volants "feel heavier" due to having the stainless steel still at the tip and tail of the where the Atomic has the majority of the weight in the binding area. I did upgrade my 05 Metrons with the 06 Neox's to shave that 500g off of each ski. I also go with (and for other reasons too but) Thermoflex liners in mt Kryptons because they are much lighter than the stock liner. Poles I like a carbon vs. Alu because of swing weight. My helmet is a Giro Fuse, also very light. When you are fat oand overwieght like me, it is easier to shave it off of the gear instead of myself ;)

Cars were mentioned earlier on..I still agree with the Colin Chapman method of engineering..."add lightness".