Mountain Creek or JFBB?

Franklin

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i love MC ive been a passholder there for years now.. and i would be a passholder there again this season but im at school so its to far.. but im really excited to hit JFBB now.. and all i can tell you guys is if you never hit a creek style box or rail before.. you are in for a big treat!! they are just simply amazing

what does Creek need to do to kick it up?

make sure that the grooming and conditions are the best they can be all the time. Have more skier friendly jibs with variety in the gaps. We visited once last year for a comp and it is unlikely that nipples will want to return, ever. It was that bad.

Well lets be serious, JFBB is going to shit on Blue Mountain, Bear Creek, Camelback, and Shawnee this year. Forget it. Good run guys, but its over. Mountain Creek has been better than those mountains for years. Sorry Papa, but your judging it on 1 day, we all know that. I went 35 days to mountain creek last year, I can remember a handful where it sucked but when it was good it the jibs were better setup than Mount Snow and Stratton, and they were always better built. THe jumps were ok, but you do what you can with limited snow and limited vert. If Mountain Creek gave them more money for snowmaking, they would have been much better off. Not to mention the best pipe south of Vermont no questions asked, and still will this year. Take some of those guys, throw them to JFBB, give them snowmaking, stoked management, a shit load of money to build jibs, and they will beat up on the other Pocono mountains. What did Camelback do? A couple more shitty ass jibs, even if they got 10, JFBB is getting 30, and we know the quality won't be the same as JFBB anyway. The halfpipe at camelback might be ok, or it might be just as shitty as their old one just bigger, either way it won't be a Grand Prix half pipe, it won't be a super pipe, and it won't be pretty much gaper free like the mountain creek one. Blue mountain, maybe they have a shot, lots of new terrain, snowmaking, but their jibs suck. The new ones look horrid, their saving grace will be nice jumps, and big ones. It looks like they moved dirt around to make a lot of step down setups which will be amazing, so for jumps, Blue will probably still be better than JFBB but we'll see becuase MC used to make nice jumps. Bear Creek? A really good effort but they get screwed by the weather, and their vert isn't the same. I don't care what you tell me, I'd rather take a run down 1,000 vert in a park than 500. Although they are stepping it up well too.

Shawnee is a toss up, but it will be 4th at best. It was a fun park last year, but they haven't said anything about what they're doing.

So now JFBB vs Mountain Creek. Well like dominant I'm a MC local who moved for college. I'm going to hit Mountain Creek when I'm home for Decemeber/January in between my Mount Snow trip and and after a few early season Hunter trips. So I expect maybe 3 days a week for 5 weeks there, so probably a season pass holder there again. I was thinking season pass for Blue but now I'm thinking I'm going to alternate between Blue, JFBB, and Bear Creek. Maybe even hit Shawnee and Camelback just to see it all, so I should get a good impression. I'll take pictures, and I might have to bust out the rope to see how the jumps actually stack up after all the claiming last year. So expect me to see almost 30 days on the east coast, and then 8 days at Utah and The Canyons in March. I should see a lot of vert and a lot of park, so I'll make the JFBB vs Mountain Creek call at the end of the year. But from here? It really is hard to say, Mountain Creek has the advantage of so much acreage for park. You have a park at south, an intro park on Vernon, 4 trails on Vernon with a park pass, the jib park, and the superpipe. From the looks of it, BB has 3 trails and a pipe, so probably equal to the terrain on Vernon's main park. JF has 2 trails. So total, about equal terrain or more in JFBB's favor, but seperated on two differant mountains which sucks. Once I'm on a board I don't want to take it off. I'd say by the looks of it BB has the advantage becuase you have 3 distinct top to bottom trails, so probably will have really good flow. But Mountain Creek has a park pass.

Either way, Blue will still have the best freeriding and mountain creek the absolute worst. Most likely the 'best' riders will be at Mountain Creek, and by best i mean those who copied the style of the year best, but not necesarily are the best riders. Camelback will shout louder than anyone about how good they are, and their park crew will still sit on their ass as people get wrecked on 5 foot jumps. Blue will have nice jumps, shawnee will have nice flow and a medium size level thats just fun for everyone I know, and bear creek will keep all the southern riders stoked. I do see parks stepping up everywhere, which means the one big winner this year are the hospitals which stand to make a shit load of money off people wrecking themselves on shit they can't do.

Either way, Blue will still have the best freeriding and mountain creek the absolute worst. Most likely the 'best' riders will be at Mountain Creek, and by best i mean those who copied the style of the year best, but not necesarily are the best riders. Camelback will shout louder than anyone about how good they are, and their park crew will still sit on their ass as people get wrecked on 5 foot jumps. Blue will have nice jumps, shawnee will have nice flow and a medium size level thats just fun for everyone I know, and bear creek will keep all the southern riders stoked. I do see parks stepping up everywhere, which means the one big winner this year are the hospitals which stand to make a shit load of money off people wrecking themselves on shit they can't do.[/b]

Excellent call! we have passes to BB, CB & BC

I don't see JF/BB picking up that many new skiers and riders due to the new park since Bear Creek and Blue mountain already have premier terrain parks.

what do you know? you only primarily ski at one or two trails at one mountain. I retract that sorry

Wow cool assumptions...you know everything :nana I think that Blue mountain will have the best park once again because they know what they're doing...I'll be happy if they have the best jumps and it seems like they're adding a bunch of new rails..last year they had alot of rails and even a rail garden...Best jumps, best free-riding, best vert, best lifts, longest season, best snowmaking...wow that's my boy Blue

Elk actually had the longest season. JF stayed open as long as Blue, but held off a week later to open to have almost all of their terrain open.

Edited by bigdaddyk

doug.. do you honestly think that blues rails and boxes are nicer than this?

1284086606_l.jpg

honestly.. MC has the best boxes and rails on the east coast.. if you look in that pic.. those are the exact same types of rails and boxes that MC is known for...

now look at blues new boxes..

DSC00063.JPG

now you cant tell me that blues boxes and rails are better than the ones JFBB will have this season..

and on another note.. i think that Method's post above.. is probably the best post ive read in a long time!

Edited by brtndominant

What I know is that most Blue mountain skiers and riders think of JFBB as dinky

we are talking park doug. Everyone at blue who is heavily involved in the park scene at blue is aware that BB is making a quantum leap this season. No doubt of where JFBB rated in comparison to Blue last season. Those in the know and those who have the flexibility are seriously considering making the move. We did.

Trust me, they are thinking on a different level, it will become a lot more evident once the season gets here. Quality & Quantity BTW - I believe the preseason discount for passes goes until the end of this month.

i think that Method's post above.. is probably the best post ive read in a long time!

word... method knows what is up... Although in season 07/08 - I am going to claim that we will see "pros" calling BB home ILO of MC.

Here is something else to consider. BB is slightly colder than all the other hills, they have an endless water supply, they have state of the art HUGE freakin oscillating tower fans pointing at thier park trails. I saw some clearing on what I hope is the epic jump run. They have hired world class park managers and they are a very enthusiastic staff with a can do attitude.

I'd be very happy if Jack Frost and Big Boulder takes away alot of the crowds at Blue but I don't see it happening.

You are correct. Blue will always be nasty crowded.

Edited by Papasteeze

Yea, MC freeriding is THAT bad. There are 3 fun trails on Vernon, 2 fun trails on Granite, 1 on Bear, 2 on South (in my opinion). Of the 3 on vernon, 2 weren't opened for most of last year, and when they were, they were left ungroomed as moguls (ok whatever) except that it rained, then it froze, they iced over solid, and then were never groomed all year. It was horrible. The granite run was fun. The one on bear is closed for the Ski team 90% of the time. One on south never opened, so the other one became the only way down the hill, so it was crowded as hell. All in all I could find one trail worth riding last year, and then only sometimes.

But Blue has a Crackerbarrel, two wall rides, light up box, battleship box, mini battleship box and all kinds of cool stuff...I'd be very happy if Jack Frost and Big Boulder takes away alot of the crowds at Blue but I don't see it happening.

wow.. i cant believe i forgot that blue mt has a flat down light up box.. which is nothing special at all.. and that crackerbarrel box really wasnt that grreat at all... and most of the time the one wallride sucked... but anywho keep telling yourself that blues park i gonna be better than JFBB..

The proportions on the other box are fucked up too. Its long so your going to need speed or its going to look retarded. You can't gap it. So, you are going to ride in, that curve is mad tight unless they build a huge pile of snow up to it. Thus it ends up being like 2 feet tall. Or you ride so fast to try and make it look good that you fly up that tight curve, and land about 5 feet down the flat section. Maybe you'll get thrown, maybe you'll slide it, but either way it won't look smooth.

Its too bad cuz the concept is good, a rainbow with a long flat on top, smooth, could be nice. But the curve is just wrong you can tell already. Its like the rainbow rail at camelback, it would be great for little kids but on a full size board the radius is just too tight and the snowboard gets squirrelly when you flex it like that. Same reason super pipes are easier than small pipes.

Big Boulder will defanty be alot better than Mountain creek because if Mc's crew is at Big Boulder they defanty have to have a reason to leave. With Shawn and Huff there at Big Boulder, It will rock any resort in Pa or any sourding states.

I don't agree with this post. I won't know if I'm wrong or not until like midway through the season though.

mc crew's not at BB, only 2 guys are. Sure two guys who know what they're doing enough to guide them along but the new rails at MC are up to the same quality as they always have been. Don't expect Mountain Creek to get worse because they left. Remember MC also has park passes which BB doesn't which could be a major factor when the crowds go and chew up the edges of ramps, block landings, cut people off. All that doesn't happen at Creek's park.

mc crew's not at BB, only 2 guys are. Sure two guys who know what they're doing enough to guide them along but the new rails at MC are up to the same quality as they always have been. Don't expect Mountain Creek to get worse because they left. Remember MC also has park passes which BB doesn't which could be a major factor when the crowds go and chew up the edges of ramps, block landings, cut people off. All that doesn't happen at Creek's park.

and thats another reason why i love creek so much.. theres alot of respect there in the parks... ppl wait for eacthother and take turns on hits.. and also i never experienced anyone really talking shit and yeling at other kids who werent quite as good as them.. and i see that alot at like CB

Two of their best guys and I don't to many of you guys have meet Huff. Huff is one of the coolest guys I have meet, Huff pushes the lemit on everything. Big Boulder dosen't get the croweds Mc dose.

Lets hope you don't ride like you spell this year Nips. :P

End of the year last year there was alot of talk about a park pass, But that was before all this new stuffs been happening at boulder. I hope they do park passes but who know.

I know boulders gonna be insane this year. No competition for pa mountains but idk if its gonna be better than MC. I really do believe boulders pipe is gonna blow ass. I can see it already. The spot the pipe is in has no in-run what so ever. Your gonna have the pumped the transitions so hard to get speed ur not gonna have many hits and the ones u do get ur gonna be tired from trying to get speed. IDk boulder was never a good halfpipe place. The rails are gonna kill this year and the jump will most likely be just like that year. but well see what happens.

its really ignorant to claim that boulder is going to be the best this year, and that nothing else will even come close, when no one knows what every area is bringing to the table. yeah, boulder has a bunch of new rails (that all look pretty similar to me), but blue has tons of new stuff, a wider trail, a new lift, and better snowmaking, bear completely rehauled their park and is adding new rails, features, etc, and i'm sure cameltoe, shawnee, and the other areas are making improvements too. i just dont see how everyone has such blind faith in two guys from creek that they can completely turn a place around in one year. they might wanna worry about getting better lighting before making four of the same box.