This Seasons Equipment

skifreak

Haha the bindings are $1,099. Personaly I don't think I would want to have anything electronic keeping my foot in the ski. And if you can't tell if you have a chunk of ice under your boot, or your boot isn't in properly, I don't think you should be skiing.

Haha the bindings are $1,099.  Personaly I don't think I would want to have anything electronic keeping my foot in the ski.  And if you can't tell if you have a chunk of ice under your boot, or your boot isn't in properly, I don't think you should be skiing.

$1,099 are you serious!?!? :o

• 2 weeks later...

i could have sworn those things are going to be selling for around 350-400. and as far as the electronics go, you dont set your din digitally, its still done with a screw driver, they just tell you whether your boot it in correctly, or if something is malfunctioning on the binding. but really, there is no need to even bother with anything atomic-made if you want equipment that lasts more than a season and still skis how it was designed to ski.

but really, there is no need to even bother with anything atomic-made if you want equipment that lasts more than a season and still skis how it was designed to ski.

I know you're just goofing and it's probably just because your store doesn't carry Atomic, but you really should try laying a set of GS:11's on edge at 40mph on an icy slope. The second best feeling is doing it with five year old 10:22's. The third best feeling has something to do with Shannon Elizabeth.

Them's fighting words to some on this board. I don't like Atomic, either, but it's entirely due to the fact that you have to use their bindings, which are a pain to lock up on a rack and don't click together good to carry around. That's more of a user-friendly design issue, not a quality issue. I think you need to be more specific about what you mean.

For instance, do their race skis chatter at speed? Do the skis fall apart with general skiing? Do the edges dull faster than other skis?

With the arrival of shaped skis, it is pretty tough to read a review, waltz into a shop and buy a ski and have gotten the best ski for your type of skiing. Different lengths in the same ski behave differently in a much more pronounced fashion than in the past. Before we pretty much just worried about flex and length, now we have sidecut thrown in as well. Fifteen years ago, I could get some demo skis and have the hang of what made them perform in an hour or so. Not anymore. Different skis seem to demand radically different skiing styles and the ski you like will probably be the one that forces you to change how you ski the least when you first get on it. I now do two full days of testing on a ski before I plunk down money. The end result is a slow migration in my ski style with each new pair of skis. If I'd jumped from my straight skis to my current skis, I am sure I would have hated them, but I've been thru a gradual change to shorter and turnier skis with each of my last few pairs, rather than the big leap. So, the fact that you may not LIKE a pair of skis is more a reflection of what you LIKE and not a reflection of the ski's quality. I think there are very few BAD skis out there, just skis that are not right for a particular person.

Now, if your comment is based on skis that do not do the job they are supposed to do because of inferior workmanship or marketing to the wrong audience by the manufacturer, then that's a different story.

Unfortunately there are far too many people out there buying skis that are wrong for them because they are not honest with themselves about their ability level and because they allow their friends or a magazine to influence them. Many people cannot separate problems with their ability and their technique from problems with a ski itself. Many do not understand that if one length in a ski isn't working for them that a different length may be the answer and not a different ski.

Personally, I hate soft skis. I like a ski with snap at the end of a turn, but that will not be thrown off course by crud on the trail. I like a ski that I can get on edge fast and that will handle whatever I throw at it. Sometimes a ski will be too lively for me and it makes me nervous about its holding ability. But, at least I know what the issue is, and that is the ski is wrong for ME. It doesn't mean someone else won't love it.