CB closed new years day

Timeless

CB are closed today due to "inclement weather", can't say I blame them given the damage the rain we had last night must have done to the "base".

Looking at the webcam, the snow seems to have suffered really badly, though Blues looks equally as bad on their webcam.

This season just plain sucks.....

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must be psychic because after my 2 hour session at Blue..I was telling a guy in the parking lot that Camelback would probably be closed today because they don't care about season passholders...Is Camelback going to be closed later on when it clears up? Haha..

Yes CB loves to fuck over their passholders. It has nothing to do with 6 hours of rain and barespots everywhere. Its just because we like to spite our loyal customers.

Can't people ski around the bare spots? 6 hours of rain..bahhhh..it's also bad for the employees..at Blue the liftees and lodge personell are getting paid..at Camelback they're not..

People can ski around bare spots but opening would only result in those people complaining about how shitty the conditions were and regretting spending their money many of which would cry bitch and moan about refunds.

Yes I do agree though it does totally suck for the employees but I'm sure most of them are hung over as hell anyway and greatful for new years day off lol.

Edited by DiMeThIcOnE

People can ski around bare spots but opening would only result in those people complaining about how shitty the conditions were and regretting spending their money many of which would cry bitch and moan about refunds.

I guess you don't understand how things work, well then again, either does Camelback. Skiing is 100% based on weather conditions, and well, it's bad weather, so chances are the skiing isn't going to be so great either. So I don't know what is going through anyones mind when they get to a mountain after a month of warm temps and rain and think conditions would be good. That's just absurd. It'd be one thing if there were snowmaking temperatures today, but there aren't. There is snow on the trails, which means Blue is open, and so should Camelback. There is no excuse.

I guess you don't understand how things work, well then again, either does Camelback. Skiing is 100% based on weather conditions, and well, it's bad weather, so chances are the skiing isn't going to be so great either. So I don't know what is going through anyones mind when they get to a mountain after a month of warm temps and rain and think conditions would be good. That's just absurd. It'd be one thing if there were snowmaking temperatures today, but there aren't. There is snow on the trails, which means Blue is open, and so should Camelback. There is no excuse.

I don't know. I'm dissapointed myself I could go up to CB for a few runs since I have the day off but I totally understand them for choosing not to open today.

The weather sucks. I'm suprised they haven't closed before this. They make snow every chance they get and than bam, weather comes along and melts it all away with rain. It's not anyone's fault. Besides, how many people do you think would actually show up and pay for tickets today? Definitelly not enough to turn profit and unfortunately CB is a business and a business needs to make money, period. That's the only reason for owning a business, to make money. I own a season pass and trust me it annoys the hell outta me when I can't ride but on the other hand you also have to understand why they chose to close.

The weather sucks. I'm suprised they haven't closed before this. They make snow every chance they get and than bam, weather comes along and melts it all away with rain. It's not anyone's fault. Besides, how many people do you think would actually show up and pay for tickets today? Definitelly not enough to turn profit and unfortunately CB is a business and a business needs to make money, period. That's the only reason for owning a business, to make money. I own a season pass and trust me it annoys the hell outta me when I can't ride but on the other hand you also have to understand why they chose to close.

You my friend are a genious :cheers:

I don't see why other people don't understand this concept lol.

Dude they closed down because people riding on the already crappy snow would only make it crappier, leaving them even farther behind. Is closing for one day that serious... is your entire season ruined now? So they took a day off to recover and now they can blow snow on the little amount thats there instead of pure mud, which would have been the result of people pushing it around all day. If you don't like them closing go somewhere else and stop moaning and groaning about it, it's their mountain let them deal with it how they want to. Is it that hard to understand?

So should ski areas close everytime it rains? We had this discussion last year when Camelback closed due to freezing rain. If you go to a movie theater and you're the only one in the theater should they send you home? If you go to the grocery store late at night and it's just you should they shut down? What if mail carriers stopped delivering on rainy days? As a commitment to skiers and riders ski areas should remain open even if it's raining and conditions are less than ideal..and some of the nubs on here think that one rain storm wipes out all the snow...that's totally not the case. Camelback not being open today is another reason why I will continue to bad-mouth Camelback every chance I get and hopefully the current owners will be forced to sell the mountain to somebody who cares about its season passholders.

I'm not sure which time your refering to camelback closing due to freezing rain but when I was a lift operator I showed up on one of those nights although I believe it was 2 seasons ago. The mountain was insanly sketchy I had to sit at the top of the meadows lift and watch the chairs spin so the cable would not freeze and derail upon starting the next day. It was incredibly dangerous all I could hear was the cracking of tree limbs falling all over the woods and trails due to the thick ice that encased them, you could not even walk on a trail if you fell there would be no getting up you would slide to the bottom on your back if you didn't smack a tree on your way down first. I watched 2 snowmobiles flip that night, it would have been a death trap if we opened to the public.

Every mountain is struggling to stay open at this point in this season, the weather says it all. We've had some bare spots showing sunday and with a full night of constant down pour I'm sure those bare spots got a bit worse as well as new ones forming. It wasn't simply raining a little this morning making them deicid to not open this is a different situation. Mountain Creek closed, Beer Creek closed awhile ago, Blue is closing early. No one rain storm does not wipe out all the snow but it puts a nasty dent on the little snow the mountains have considering the weather. I think this weather is making us snow freaks all go a little crazy.

I'm sorry but the current owner is doing great you should have seen how ridiculasly packed our parking lots were this holiday week even though I personally prefer the mountain not being so crowded for the times I get to go ride myself. Like Luke said and I totally agree a ski resort is a business and if it can't make a profit it's not going to run. What business wants to loose money? If a business continually looses money it wont exists anymore.

Edited by DiMeThIcOnE

If there was three feet of base, or even a foot, I would be just as mad at them for not opening, but they have literally inches over large sections of the few trails they have open. I can't imagine that the rain did not do some serious damage to the already thin base, and grooming and ski traffic would do nothing but compound the damage. Now I can't say for sure what the conditions were like this morning to pass judgement, but I sure you can't either, so think a little before you start blindly criticizing them. If the conditions were fine and they closed anyway, then shame on them; unfortunately that probably isn't the case.

I'm sorry but the current owner is doing great you should have seen how ridiculasly packed our parking lots were this holiday week even though I personally prefer the mountain not being so crowded for the times I get to go ride myself.

He is? Like when the lifties are so untrained that they don't catch the non-detachable chairs? Or when the lifties are so untrained that they stand around holding shovels while the landing area of the lift has rocks showing and no place to avoid them? Like when the kids making pizza at the end of the night fill your request for a plain slice by removing the pepperoni after it's been cooked on? Or when the people in skier services call you a liar, then promote themselves when you ask to speak to a manager?

It begins at the top, bro...and by that standard, the owner has a lot of work to do.

If the ski area was my business I'd look at it differently than I do now as a skier. I'm one dimensional..I just want to ski..

Yep. That's all we're saying. If anyone wants to conider the profit margin as the priority in when to run lifts, then maybe they'd get a better reception at the Ski Area Management message board.

He is? Like when the lifties are so untrained that they don't catch the non-detachable chairs? Or when the lifties are so untrained that they stand around holding shovels while the landing area of the lift has rocks showing and no place to avoid them? Like when the kids making pizza at the end of the night fill your request for a plain slice by removing the pepperoni after it's been cooked on? Or when the people in skier services call you a liar, then promote themselves when you ask to speak to a manager?

It begins at the top, bro...and by that standard, the owner has a lot of work to do.

I was refering to doing great in the idea of turning a profit. I'm sorry you had such a shitty experience.

I was refering to doing great in the idea of turning a profit. I'm sorry you had such a shitty experience.

You find the two mutually exclusive? Really? I tend to think Tim and Diane Mueller's concept of turning a profit is a little better than what Arthur Berry's been showing.

camelback won't change as long as they have the noob traffic they do. They have a great business model. Nothing will change for true snow lover, face it we are high maintenance and low margin.

They are expanding facilities again. We need to look into whether there are plans for trail expansion.

camelback won't change as long as they have the noob traffic they do. They have a great business model. Nothing will change for true snow lover, face it we are high maintenance and low margin.

They are expanding facilities again. We need to look into whether there are plans for trail expansion.

There were plans to expand past the stevensen not sure what happened. I'm sure we'll hear about trail expansion after the hotel is up and running.

It is very easy for you all to change all of your problems with CB.......LEAVE! You have the option and ability to make CB change how they operate by hitting them were it hurts. Stop spending money there and they will be forced to change how they run the business. As an employee, I can tell you that they very rarely close because of just rain. If it is forcasted for substantial rain and the base is not what it should be, and crowds are expected to be light, then they may close. It is way too expensive to operate just for a few "diehards" that are doing more harm than good. Unpopular...yes of course. Smart? Yes of course. Season pass sales are pretty consistent year after year, so something is being done right. Season pass holders are a valuable part of the business, but, no more so than any other ticket buyer. Get over yourselves and pray for snow.

We drove to CB today for a day of riding. Guest Relations Office said closed due to trying to keep the snow in good shape. I'm betting the groomers were worried about tearing out the snow. We walked up to the base area and watched about $10,000 in snowmaking melt down the drain. Got a pack at the Creek and drove to Shawnee. We didn't even get out of the car from what we saw. Anyway - it was a raw deal to drive 4 hours for nothing-- we should have checked it out before leaving -- and known better..

Tough break for NE riding.

I just checked the Accuweather front page and it says "no cold blast in sight"

That could be real bad for all ski resorts in the area, be happy they got what they got.

If your looking to get some skiing/riding stop complaining and jump on a plane and head out west. The weather problem is not the resort owners faught, and opening on a shitty day like today would have just made conditions worse.

Its not looking great on the East Cost for at least the next week and half.

and opening on a shitty day like today would have just made conditions worse.

so what.... they should be open every day they can be and close when they can't connect the snow patches... so what if they have a losing year. I wasn't going to buy a pass this year and stupid me bought one. I won't be fooled again and I will do my best to let others know what CB is.. Only if it is madly convienent or there is a comp worthwhile.

By the way to all those naysayers who are defending CB.. take notice that through the years CB consistently get beat on. Are you proud of that? think about it, why does CB always get picked on? cause it is the truth, the only care about thier profitibility knowing that there are a lot of gullible people out there,