CB closed new years day

Timeless

Although, Rob, it can be added that CB does have some great people, too. But just like umpires and referees, you only notice the bad ones.

If it wasn't for Camelbacks horrible customer service filled with cheese and dookie..there would be no PASR..

Are you suggesting a DaveK day? Hmmmmm...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does not look good either..........

http://headlines.accuweather.com/news-stor...1&article=0

Where Is Winter?Updated: Monday, January 01, 2007 1:52 PM

The very unnatural winter season continues. Just look at this snapshot of Tuesday. No big storms and no harsh cold anywhere in the Lower 48 states. Two massive winter storms did hit in December. Both of those spent most of their fury along the eastern slopes of the Rockies and through the western High Plains. To the east, people are starting to wonder what snow is. Pittsburgh had less than an inch of snow in December which borders on the ridiculous. Equally insane is the near lack of any snow at all along the I-95 Corridor from Boston to Washington. The continuing dominance of the Pacific jet stream assures that most of the nation won't experience any of the rigors of winter this week, either.

You guys can say all you want, but explain to me why Blue was open today and Camelback wasn't? Blue is a buisness, a ski business, and they're open for skiing.

Blue has more snow to push around, more trails open and a deeper base? I'm just taking guesses.

You'd think that Camelback's colder temps would help, combined with the fact that they delayed opening for a week to let the snow sit in piles, which slows down melting.

People can make whatever excuses they want and are certainly welcome to their own opinions, but what season passholder in PA doesn't wish their home mountain had Blue's attitude? It builds tremendous loyalty and having loyal customers is the building block for any successful business. Some days you just eat it and take a loss, but it always comes back two-fold.

Is there really any CB passholder that wants CB closed? Does it really give anyone a good feeling that CB's profits will be $1.9 million instead of $1.8 million? I can understand places like Sno and Alpine and Twood being worried about the bottom line, but worrying about CB profit levels? Pfffft...

You'd think that Camelback's colder temps would help, combined with the fact that they delayed opening for a week to let the snow sit in piles, which slows down melting.

Camelback get's hit by the sun all day,that,and combined with the insane amount of traffic they have is what caused the greater snow loss imo.There are some day's when they do 10,000 skiers.The most you might ever see at JFM is 3,000.When Camelback hit's 10,000 they send them to us,lol.Ski's are like little snowplow's,it's quite amazing how much the snow travel's when you watch it.Top to bottom,then upward's after people get on the lift.Ever see how much the snow build's up after the lift take-off on the ground?And,all these people bag on them for shutting down in ice and wind.That's what you get after you rely primarily on two high-speed's,you reap what you sow unfortunately.

It just really goes to show the clientel each mountains attracts. Camelback is analogous to a fair weather skier, while Blue is the Doug's of the ski industry. Camelback may make more, but running a buisness isn't all about the money. Marketing departments aside, what is better marketing, being open, or closed? I think being open with crappy conditions is better then being closed.

It just really goes to show the clientel each mountains attracts. Camelback is analogous to a fair weather skier, while Blue is the Doug's of the ski industry. Camelback may make more, but running a buisness isn't all about the money. Marketing departments aside, what is better marketing, being open, or closed? I think being open with crappy conditions is better then being closed.

ROFLMAO,that's a funny analogy,I never thought of it that way.I would agree with you,as long as customer's are willing to ski let them....as long as you can run the lift's safely and it's not Boulder Field out there.

CB's profits will be $1.9 million instead of $1.8 million? I can understand places like Sno and Alpine and Twood being worried about the bottom line, but worrying about CB profit levels? Pfffft...

exactly............ the resounding sentiment i keep hearing is, that if you don't like it, leave. Who are these people who say that?

How does a ski area make money? Selling lift tickets? Selling fried crap from the Kitchen? Selling passes and not opening to piss off pass holders? I'd say all ski areas are going to take a huge freaking hit this winter. Say good bye to 2008 improvements - no $$$. There are a lot of great ski areas that don't care too much about the botom line-- there's 100's of them. In fact, their a real bargin for lift tickets -- FREE. Only catch is there is no snow becasue they havenot made any yet. Why??? Because they went bankrupt. How many ski areas were there in the Poconos and in the North East 30 years ago? How many 15 years ago? How many now? This weather sucks. The conditions are less than great. I am glad I don't own a ski area.

How many ski areas were there in the Poconos and in the North East 30 years ago? How many 15 years ago? How many now? This weather sucks. The conditions are less than great. I am glad I don't own a ski area.

Hmmmm.........Global warming????????

Na can't be..........burry your heads in the sand and keep burning fossil fuels especaially where you don't have to in electric generation.

Its not the ski resorts faught there is no snow its everyones faught.

-------------------------------------------------------

Ice shelf breaks off in Arctic

02/01/2007 10:38 - (SA)

Montreal - An enormous ice shelf broke away from Ellesmere Island in the Canadian Arctic last year, researchers said on Friday, warning it could be another symptom of global warming.

The 66-square-kilometer ice island tore away from Ellesmere, a huge strip of land in the Canadian Arctic close to Greenland.

The break occurred in August 2005 and was so violent that it caused tremors that were detected by Canadian seismographs 250 kilometres away, but at the time no one was able to pinpoint what had happened.

The Canadian Ice Service contacted geographer Luke Copland of the University of Ottawa, who reconstructed the chain of events by piecing together data from the seismic readings and satellite images provided by Canada and the United States.

"This loss is the biggest in 25 years, but it continues the loss that occurred within the last century," Copland told AFP, saying 90%of the ice cover had been lost since the area was discovered in 1906.

Papa, I as the one who stated to leave if you dont like it and I was being somewhat sarcastic. Being closed probably will allow us to stay open longer than some of the areas if the forecasted weather holds true. Since there was no skier traffic the rain was able to run off of the groomed surface and not do as much damage. Also, since we didn't have to re-groom last night (after the rain) the snow was able to "set up" pretty hard for today. It is staying pretty hard and not melting much today and will make for a better base when they start making tonight (if they get temps).

Believe me, as employees, it really sucks when we close, 1. we don't get paid and 2. we can't ski either. If you do not want me to try and make "positive" comments about CB just say so and I will stop posting.

Edited by ski911

Being closed probably will allow us to stay open longer than some of the areas if the forecasted weather holds true.

I really doubt that.. what area, Blue? Given the current weather pattern I see CB closing very soon. In either case, I think they should have stayed open until they can not connect the snow patches. Besides, as long as there is camelbeach they will always close around march 20th if not before.

If you do not want me to try and make "positive" comments about CB just say so and I will stop posting.

Absolutely nothing wrong with your comments ski911. Good information. Please don't give Whineysteeze the satisfaction.

Again, if you know Cb closes "when it rains" and by March 20th every year, why do you buy season passes for there? It seems kinda idiotic to constantly bad mouth the place that you are supporting. If you are trying to be "constructive" in your critisism, then you really ought to examine your technique. To get CB to "grow" into the area you want it to be, do you think it would be more beneficial tp promote it possitively to encourage more visitors? This would increase profits and cause them to have to expand and improve. Of course some of the expansion will be for the other less profitable seasons (until they catch up) but, some will be re-invested into the ski area.

I understand your frustrations and sometimes even agree with them. I also realize that your main role is to single handedly try to destroy the place you have sent a large chunk of your money to (not very smart), but, try to remember...the better CB does, the better our experiences there will be....eventually.

Alright, after ski's experience- Not too happy with customer service. Thank God I usually only have to deal with them once a year.

I'm not so much worried about them closing, and I'm not too upset about it... Hopefully the money that they save by not opening here and there will pay off when we finally get a good winter, or even after a good dumping this year.

If that money saved doesn't go to good use, then I'll be really upset.

I haven't completely lost faith in CB yet. Like any other place, they have positives and negatives. Call it foolish, but I'm hoping the building of this hotel will motivate CB to do all they can to stay open later in the coming seasons... after all- spring break business is big money... Maybe it'll even get them to think about more coverage earlier in the season, to make the resort more desireable to families vactioning over christmas break. They need motivation from somewhere... Honestly, I think that if the new management doesn't "get it" then they'll be gone soon as well. Its sort of like the golf facility I work at now. They start a bunch of different projects that they think will bring in more money, but they don't do it wholeheartedly, and because of that they don't get the returns that they could. Lets think what CB could do to stake a solid claim as being far and away the best mountain in the poconos:

1.) First and foremost- Get open that one to one and a half weeks early. If CB was the first or second mountain to open it would help greatly.

Cost: approximately $20,000.

2.) Upgrade the park to compete with Blue or Bear Creek. They have the terrain, they just need to upgrade the jibs and give the park crew some more free reign, or bring in some new park builders.

Cost: approximately $10,000.

3.) Stay open those 3 days a year that you usually close during the season.

Cost: approximately $5,000.

These costs are really rough estimates from someone without much experience on the business end of the industry. Lets break this down though. Say CB averages 2,000 skiers a day. Average cost of a ticket: I'll go low and say $20, averaging in all season passes that have been purchased and used that day.

That is $40,000 a day in revenue. This is more than enough to cover these costs. I know there are operating expenses, but I'm sure 40k can be made up rather quickly. Just some food for thought...