Opening Day

pyro_boarder

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just heard on the news that Sno wants to open today at noon, with at least 5 trails. They mentioned wanting to open with expert terrain, so hopefully that means at least one north face trail.

cannonball looked pretty healthy from the road but i couldn't get too good of a look without slamming into the back of another car..cannonball or white will be the first diamond to open..i can't imagine white opening before cannonball, that is just unheard of :o

According to the snow phone its just mainline the bunny and whistler.
Ya thats what i\'ve been told told to. I can\'t wait to start riding whistler at 5 today. It hasn\'t been opened in 2 year. And if I remember whistler had no lights on it..so im guessing they put lights on it this year.

Ya thats what i\'ve been told told to. I can\'t wait to start riding whistler at 5 today. It hasn\'t been opened in 2 year. And if I remember whistler had no lights on it..so im guessing they put lights on it this year.

Whistler has/had lights but they are few and far between. I wouldn't expect it to be any different this year, hope you have been eating your carrots :wiggle

Just got back from Sno's opening day...my oldest and I left home at a little past 11am and pulled into the lot at 11:30am...there were a bunch of employee cars, but not many customers. We couldn't ski the connector down to Iron Horse, so we walked down the access road. We had told the tram driver we were going to ski down---but it wasn't groomed and was just heavy cat tracks.

We clicked in next to the lodge, then waited at the CLOSED trail sign from 11:50am until ski patrol pulled it at Noon. We skied down to Iron Horse and were the FIRST EVER Sno Mountain skiers on the lift.

Whistler, Mainline, and Bunny were the only trails open...we skied about eight runs down Whistler, then took the lift and skied over to Mainline to get back to the tram to the parking lot. Whistler didn't open at all last season and I'd forgotten that it's a decent little trail. It's a little like Main Street at Booter, but a little shorter and there are a couple of headwalls to flats instead of straight fall line.

I have to get to a game in NJ, so we had to leave by 2pm...

The snow was groomed cord, soft, and a lot of fun. A bunch of boarders and jibbers showed up after our third run...I wasn't wearing my orange helmet, so I'm sure I missed sayin' wazzup to a few ass clowns from here. Oh, and check the one shot of the WNEP chopper...it was actually below us on the slopes filming shit. And there was a guy from a tv station shooting us all on Whistler.

Nice report ski. Congrats on being the first ever Sno Mountain skiing customers!

Does it look like they will have more trails open soon?

Ha, thanks! I had my hopes up when we pulled in and the Phoebe Snow (North Face lift) was spinning...but then they turned it off. They made an effort down there, but you can't get a good look from where we were. On the upper mountain, they blew on most slopes, but need at least 48 hrs. of great temps to open more. There are mounds of snow, but they are surrounded by frozen grass. The shear number of new guns just blew me away...Pole Cat guns are installed in front of most lift towers and seem to line every slope. You'd go deaf then freeze to death if they had them turned on under the Iron Horse...

i just got back from a few runs, decided to come home and grab something to eat before work. Conditions were pretty nice, snow was soft, but whistler had some bumps here and there. They were fun to pump through and such but be careful when it gets dark over there. I don't recall seeing you ski. The lodge is open but the cafeteria is not, there is a tent out side with food in it. Watching that heli hover around was pretty cool..i made it on the live news at 12 for wnep, but just messing around i the background, no talking. I also got first scan on shuttle i think, but maybe not..no biggy to me :wiggle

You'd go deaf then freeze to death if they had them turned on under the Iron Horse...

:yes that's what i was thinking.

That scanning thing is a pain, especially for the people scanning. We wear our passes on our legs, just above our boot tops...it's like they are trying to tie our shoe laces, or something. Not to get anyone in trouble, but we were only scanned about half the runs...the guy wasn't really into it. And if you hit first chair on Shuttle, we'll call it a tie---not that it matters :)

That scanning thing is a pain, especially for the people scanning. We wear our passes on our legs, just above our boot tops...it's like they are trying to tie our shoe laces, or something. Not to get anyone in trouble, but we were only scanned about half the runs...the guy wasn't really into it. And if you hit first chair on Shuttle, we'll call it a tie---not that it matters :)

It's like a scavenger hunt trying to find season passes. People have them on the ankles, knees, elbows, arms, pockets, and hidden by folds in the pants. You get accustomed to just waving the wand over the wrist and wonder why it's not working and then about about 10 tries the person finally tells you they have a season pass on their boots. WTF :banghead . Absolutely rediculous. I did nothing but listen to people bitch the entire night about them, rightfully so. But it's a pain in my damn balls too, remember that. Just cross your fingers and hope the batteries die like happened twice to us on shuttle lift tonight, then we see your pass and you keep on going. This system won't last long, if it does (which there isn't a chance of happening), they are going to lose tons of business. They should have tested it before opening day, hell they had a month. There is only one sensor on the wrist bands so if it's on the bottom of the wrist and you are waving the top, no go. Not to mention you have to guess where exactly the band is on the wrist. Under the glove? nope try again. On the wrist? nope try again. Ohh half way up the 4 year olds arm, bingo. Not to mention i feel like a pedophile leaning over to scan kids passes when they are on their boots. Nobody is going to be yanking there gloves off every lift ride when the temps drop in the teens, and i sure as hell won't be taking my glove off to push the stupid button on the machine.

I was up there today from 12-530, and then I went back at 730 til 10. I've got a bunch of pics so I'll put them up tomorrow. I'd definately call it a good day. There were some nice jumps on Whistler, and I hit that foam bonk thing once. The "powder" on skiers right of whistler was just incredible. Another huge plus was that the only ice on the entire mountain was in people's drinks.