11 degrees and no snow making

bigdaddyk

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, it seems like they pushed to be the first to open and get the most trails open, now they are just idling. The snow comes first??? What happened to during the day? I heard the season pass sales were down this year, which wouldn't surprise me. I wonder if the lose of this income might be any reason. There also seems to me fewer people at JF, earlier in the morning. I wonder if taking away the morning session pass has anything to do with this? They would definately do better with an open to noon pass. It almost seems like Peak is on the cheap/ greedy side. They take away certain passes, pass holder discounts, jack up ticket/ pass prices, won't blow during the day, and so far it looks like they eliminated the pass holder party (eliminating the free food for holders at the party). I think I liked it better before Peak took over. I was starting to gain faith, but lately I'm re-lapsing after seeing the wasted time to blow snow.

Edited by bigdaddyk

I'll try to clear some of this up before it get's out of control,lolz.First off if you own/run a ski area,you try to estimate/budget how many snowmaking hour's you are going to need for the coming year,let's say 1000 hour's total.Figure for example,1 hour of Off-peak snowmaking cost's $2500 and one hour of Peak snowmaking cost's $5000.Now at said ski area,"Usually" the power company adjust's the meter so it only read's Off-peak until around the first week of February "Normally",afterward's,the meter get's adjusted back to timed Peak/Off-Peak.Now,you try to use up your budgeted snowmaking time before this deadline/switchover to daytime On-peak and nighttime Off-peak.Peak Resort's philosophy is to make Off-peak snow until the end of the season whenever possible.So,upon further speculation,I would have to say that they are in money-saving mode and hoping to make all the snow they need at night/weekend's.The real snow get's made at night anyway so I wouldn't worry too much about it.Remember too that a couple of their other resort's are just getting open now this late in the season,so that's not helping out any either.

Edited by YummerzZz

Where is Papasteeze on this thread complaining about how JFBB hasn't been making snow at every possible opportunity because unless a mountain is 100% open with every park, trail and feature there is no excuse for this!!? :confused:dunno:nana

Edited by DiMeThIcOnE

I'll try to clear some of this up before it get's out of control,lolz.First off if you own/run a ski area,you try to estimate/budget how many snowmaking hour's you are going to need for the coming year,let's say 1000 hour's total.Figure for example,1 hour of Off-peak snowmaking cost's $2500 and one hour of Peak snowmaking cost's $5000.Now at said ski area,"Usually" the power company adjust's the meter so it only read's Off-peak until around the first week of February "Normally",afterward's,the meter get's adjusted back to timed Peak/Off-Peak.Now,you try to use up your budgeted snowmaking time before this deadline/switchover to daytime On-peak and nighttime Off-peak.Peak Resort's philosophy is to make Off-peak snow until the end of the season whenever possible.So,upon further speculation,I would have to say that they are in money-saving mode and hoping to make all the snow they need at night/weekend's.The real snow get's made at night anyway so I wouldn't worry too much about it.Remember too that a couple of their other resort's are just getting open now this late in the season,so that's not helping out any either.

If they get everything open withing the next two weeks, then blow snow up till the end of the year, it won't be that bad. If something happens and they don't get everything open, then I would have to blame the wasted time. I think it's a little unfair to punish one resort, if the others are struggling to open, if that has anything to do with it. BTW, did Eagle Rock open yet? Their web page doesn't give much info.

Edited by bigdaddyk

I'm glad you follow me,it's pretty confusing.What I'm trying to say is that they want to make snow until the end of the year without going over their alloted snowmaking time/budget(Which you understood BDK),lol.Yea ER got open this past weekend w/ 2 trail's as far as I know.You gotta call the condition's hotline @ 384-6500 to get the real deal.I didn't hit the snow there yet though.I <3 Majestic,the trail that's run's under the lift on the lower half.It's nice and steep/wide,you can really lay down some nice trenches on it.

Papa,

Your reasoning is amazing.

JFBB not blowing snow = "they know what they are doing and staying open longer"

CB blowing snow or not blowing snow = bad customer service

The number of unopen trails at JFBB is about the same as at CB. But if JFBB isn't blowing as much as possible, how is this better.

It will be interesting to see which mountain is open 100% first

Edited by Tom

Papa,

The number of unopen trails at JFBB is about the same as at CB. But if JFBB isn't blowing as much as possible, how is this better.

That's true, although I'm thinking Blue might win, we'll see. One things for sure - it won't be Mountain Creek.

Well if we're talking about JFBB 100% would mean both places. Plus why do they still list cross mountain as not open?

I just looked at BB webcam and Tannenbaum still only look's about 50% across.There's now way your gunna drag the Zaugg through the Progression Pipe/Park,or even ski down it for that matter either. :rofl

Papa,

The number of trails is the same? You haven't been to either JF or BB have you?

BB is way ahead in getting open and staying open. The amount and quality of snow per square foot is unequalled anywhere so far this season. CB puts forth a minimum effort. If it is not economically feasible for CB then they won't operate. It's simple...

BB not blowing snow during peak electric times is because they don't have to now. As far as I am concerned they had 100% trail coverage, yesterday, sunday, 1/21 before anyone else. They were even blowing an area I haven't seen open before, the mid mountain clearing along side of big boulder trail.. so much potential soon to be realized. some of the trails they are blowing are over 10' deep. BB is not blowing just for coverage, they are blowing huge amounts of snow for the features they have BUILT and are going to build.

I will get info and post it soon. They are already in the process of circling back around to rebuild thier parks with even better quality and variety. Will CB ever even consider something fun like a boarder cross trail? BB has and it is nearly finished!

I know what I know about the comparison and you don't because you don't ski both places in the same day, do you?. :wiggle

As far as CB... my house is opposite the slopes of CB, I skied BB in the evening many nights when they were blowing, my truck has a thermometer and there were several marginal nights that CB did not blow and they could have.

I don't know if this counts because of their size, but BB is listed as being 100% open on Monday.

seriously.. BB is in a different mode of coverage, if it was all about grooming a 1' deep path down a trail they could have been 100% weeks ago.

bbq was on the right track with the electricity idea. During the working part of the day, 8 to 5, the cost of electricity sky rockets. With the correct temperatures and all that JFBB will fire the snow guns up everyday at 5:01 PM. The cost of electricity is much less at night and weekends.

Double check the power cost issue! I have been told by many ski area management types that it is much more cost effective to blow snow overnight.

they are thinking they can get all the snowmaking they need during the off peak hours. I wonder if Saturday/Sunday are considered off peak, and if we'll see snowmaking on the weekends.

If they're doing this from a economic standpoint its makes perfect sense...+they have the capabilities to blow enough off peak to keep themselves a nice base. Their snowmaking system is good enough that they really don't need to blow 24/7.

I was at BB today (Mon. 22). The pipe isn't open, but has a lot of snow blown in it. The whole mt. is in good shape. The only trail that isn't side to side is tannenbaum, but they have the guns positioned off to the far side, so I would imagine that widening it is the next step. In a way, I'm actually glad that they haven't been blowing while open, it makes it easier to see. I've just been antsy the way this winter has been going. Hopefully their philosophy is to save money, so they can blow up to the end of the season.

The pipe isn't open? Papa, I'm confused why you are not all over this. The website has had posted since December that they were looking at a mid-January pipe opening! From your CB logic, that is false advertising!!!!!!! Why aren't you complaining?

The pipe isn't open? Papa, I'm confused why you are not all over this. The website has had posted since December that they were looking at a mid-January pipe opening! From your CB logic, that is false advertising!!!!!!! Why aren't you complaining?

wow ... what part of the fact that Big Boulder met and exceeded all of my and others expectations including the printed ones and Camelback has not?

Big Boulder doesn't even have a graded pipe yet they were building one anyhow. keep posting Tom, you are making yourself look really foolish.

I'm finding the mountain report at JFBB to less than accurate sometimes.

How are they blowing in the glades? Wouldn't that wreck the trees?

They aren't actually blowing in the glades, but snow is blowing over into them, when they blow on the regular trails. There is a decent amount of snow on T-bolt glade, what used to be Jane's glade, and a bunch of the other tree areas in between the trails.

Edited by bigdaddyk