Snowed by rangers

Glenn

For reference: At my shop of the guys who are out there all the time, there are 5 guys who can ski and board equally well and travel a lot. There are 2 snowboarders only and 1 skier only. Of the 5 guys who do both, (including me) all started skiing, skied for about 10 years, switched at some point to snowboarding, snowboarded for about 5-6 years, and are now all switching back to skiing.

This is very true, I see numerous people switching back. I am one of them. Think of it this way. I switched back cause I needed manuervability to manage my kids when they were 3 and 4 years old. If I really wanted, I guess I could have remained determined and figured out how to do it but why? Skiing is so much easier for getting around and remaining in control which is what patrollers need to do.

Skiing is so much easier for getting around and remaining in control which is what patrollers need to do.

-----------

Snowboarders have same or more control especially on the steeps.

Snowboarders also have better traction on their boots and don't slip around while not snowboarding. (moving patients, lift-evac, etc.) There is a lot more to ski/snowboard patrolling than running toboggans.

Flats are a pain in the ass for everyone, skiers and boarders.

If you get the same medical care and everything else with snowboarders as skiers why does it really matter? Ask the person on the slope who is injured and I bet they don't care as long as someone shows up.

Seems like a lot of people on here have an opinion on this subject of who has more control and getting around but those same critics have never done the job or even pulled a toboggan.

Another positive of snowboarding boots while patrolling. Snowboarders wear comfortable boots and can stay in their boots all day. Many skiers ski for a few hours and take their boots off and walk around in street shoes for a break or if they have patrol room duties. Having your boots on all the time your always ready to respond to a call. Running the toboggan is probably about 5% of what a patroller does. I even drive the truck and snowmobiles without having to switch boots.

Seems like a lot of people on here have an opinion on this subject of who has more control and getting around but those same critics have never done the job or even pulled a toboggan.

how long have you been riding and how long have you been skiing? You might be the unusual one extremely proficient and talented in all aspects of ski patrolling however, I hope you respect a patrons' wishes like myself, who would not allow you to handle a sled with me in it. You are trained to take a sled down, but do they actually allow you to?

I hope you respect a patrons' wishes like myself, who would not allow you to handle a sled with me in it.

You are unbelievable. You don't get to pick and choose who brings you down, whether or not they are riding a board or skiing, what brand skis or board they are using, whether they are wearing goggles or sunglasses.

You can refuse treatment. That is a wish that you are entitled to make.

My dad is a patroller at Camelback and I have been wandering around the resort basically my entire life. Some patrollers are better skiers than others, that is a given. Some boarding patrollers are better than others. The bottom line is that if any patroller is not capable of running a sled than they wont run one. I know boarders that kick skiers asses running toboggan's, and I've seen and experienced this. In case you havent realized, a skilled snowboarder has the same if not more control in variable conditions. Personally there are some situations that i would rather have a snowboarder running me down the hill in a sled. The only real disadvantage to running a toboggan as a snowboarder is the very low speed maneuverability. They obviously cant really skate, but on a slope there is no real issue. I didnt read this entire thread, but for those of you that dont think snowboarders are capable of running toboggans I suggest stopping by the Camelback patrol room sometime and asking any of the patrollers what they think. I know that if you told one of the boarders he wasnt as good as a skier they'd have a lot to say to you about the subject.

You are unbelievable. You don't get to pick and choose who brings you down, whether or not they are riding a board or skiing, what brand skis or board they are using, whether they are wearing goggles or sunglasses.

You can refuse treatment. That is a wish that you are entitled to make.

Ski patrollers are selfish bastards that don't care what kind of gear they use to bring you down with. They only care about trying to save your sorry @ss when you lose an edge and fly off the trail. I tell you it's absolutely heartless. I think they should make them pay for all thier own gear and training and make them beg the mountain for updated equipment so they can help the public more. Oh wait, they already do that.

I think they should make them pay for all thier own gear and training and make them beg the mountain for updated equipment so they can help the public more. Oh wait, they already do that.

Yea those guys are so "selfish", ski patrollers pay for their own training and training materials, pay $56. for "membership" each year, they have to buy their own backpacks and stock them with their own supplies, they have to buy their own jacket and other gear. Spend 4 months in class for initial EMS training (about 120+ hours same as EMT), an 8 hour refresher each year for EMS, and another 8 hour day each year for lift evac and mountain operations, for the new people another month or so depending on how good you are with toboggans and skiing/snowboarding level. All that for some free skiing while your patrolling or a pass for one of your friends, family members or for a day when your not patrolling. The minimum time you must put in each year is 13 days and one night a week. Sounds like a great deal to me it would probably be cheaper and easier to just get a season pass rather than patrol.

People who patrol don't do it for the money, they do it because they like it.

I'll admit I didn't think of the boots thing. Thats a good point and I could see how its useful, my snowboard boots have vibram soles and the only time I ever thought it useful was hiking pipe and park, but that would be advantage of snowboarding.

As for the gear - obviously you have to compensate the guys somehow. Pro forms/season passes and tickets plus salary are key I have zero objection to that.

As for the Rangers snowing Glenn...If I was in Glenns situation I would complain to the management about the situation...I'm sure Craig or DaveK or one of the higher ups would solve the problem and maybe even send 22 bucks several weeks later.

:confused :confused :confused ........ :confused

I've been a skier for almost all my life and a patroller for the past 6 years and I'm willing to admit that a snowboard is probably better designed to take a toboggan down on steeper terrain. The main technique for taking a toboggan down on steeper terrain on a snowboard is a heel slide as compared to a slideslip on skis. The heel slide is definitely a more natural position than a slideslip and I'm sure it is more comfortable over long distances.

In reality, toboggan accidents are so rare that they are almost non-existent. I guarantee that it is safer to ride down the mountain lying in a toboggan than it is skiing, boarding, or snowblading down. (Definitely a lot safer than snowblading.) All patrollers that are certified to take down toboggans are highly proficient regardless if they use teles, alpines, or a snowboard. Refusing treatment or transportation down the mountain due to someone

• 2 years later...