Bye Camelback, you suck!

emtp563

I'm grateful for this thread, as I was considering making a three or four day (weekday) run up to the Poconos. I've not skied anywhere up there (except BB and JF a few years ago with a group, which were fun little hills for about half a day). I was considering Blue, CB and Elk. With what I've heard here on PS&R, looks like I might just visit Elk and Blue only.

Of course, I'll stick to my plan for (a) doing a few days at Blue Knob, my favorite place in the East that I've been to so far; and (B) ten days or two weeks in Utah and ski with the big boys.

V

I Woulden't let this therad compleatly discorage you from going to CB (unless it's a weekend).  Even though everyone sais the bad stuff It's still a realy nice mountain to ski.  If you are comming on a weekday I would recomend tring it.  Most of the animosity tward it comes from their administartion, not the mountain It self.  Camelback is not quite as bad as every one is making It seem.

Tis ture, also If you don't ride the quads on weekends, and know how to find the Marc double, and cleo tripple, you rarely have to wait inline. I know there were days Xmas week, where you can ski right up to these chairs and not need to wait more than 10 seconds. Also the singles lines move pretty quickly most of the time.

As far as trails, I think unless you are at Elk, they are pretty much the same all over. Same with the snow conditions.

Go wherever you can, just avoid the CB admins.

Just like to add my agreement with a few opinions above, without any first hand experience of the admin (other than having to stump up a fortune for a season pass).

Camelback is pretty similar to Blue and Shawnee in terms of trail and snow quality (Blue may just shade the latter with better grooming) and is generally a nice place to ski/ride. For most of the time the lift queues are OK, and during the week, especially if it's cold or snowing it can be very quiet. Early sunday morning when the frostbite warnings are out is my favorite time. :drool

I've not tried Elk, but based on some of the views posted here I'll be giving it a try this year.

I'll have to admit that I would have gone for a pass at Blue if I didn't live 5 minutes from CB, but once again convenience wins and I guess that's what you pay for. The busy weekends will just encourage me to travel further afield on those days, I'd like to try several of the VT resorts this year, not just Killy.

Wherever you go, ride safe and have fun (or just have fun... :D )

:wiggle

The reason it was called Hell Half Acre was because of all the idiots not paying attention to the skiers' responsibility code and having collisions with each other, not because of any special terrain dispensation.  They ended up with too many injuries.  This was right where Big Pocono used to join Honeymoon and people would come hotdogging down Big Poke right onto the green trail without looking uphill, etc.

Whoops, I guess my source wasn't reliable :unsure: Thanks for the clarification. It would have been more interesting if my version was correct :D As to the rumor that CB makes more money during the summer, it's not true. At least according to Joe Amato (Ski school and Camelbeach Director). He adressed that in last year's Instructor Training Clinic. The winter operations still beat the summer by several million dollars.

The only thing I didn't like about Blue the last time I was there was their bar. Apres ski is half the fun. CB does have a nice bar, although way overpriced.

Blue's bar (when I was there) was a section of the cafeteria partitioned off with a portable wall. Has it changed?

The only thing I didn't like about Blue the last time I was there was their bar.  Apres ski is half the fun.  CB does have a nice bar, although way overpriced.

Blue's bar (when I was there) was a section of the cafeteria partitioned off with a portable wall.  Has it changed?

they've spruced it up, but yea, still lattace-type fencing.... :)

As to the rumor that CB makes more money during the summer, it's not true.  At least according to Joe Amato (Ski school and Camelbeach Director).  He adressed that in last year's Instructor Training Clinic.  The winter operations still beat the summer by several million dollars.

Hmm I have heard from multipul high up Cb people (in person, not threw the grapevine) that this year CBeach would make more htan Cback, and keep making more.

The only thing I didn't like about Blue the last time I was there was their bar.  Apres ski is half the fun.  CB does have a nice bar, although way overpriced.

Blue's bar (when I was there) was a section of the cafeteria partitioned off with a portable wall.  Has it changed?

The best apres ski/ride bars are located in the BB, JF area. :beer:

i know in a way this is kinda oof topic but it relates to camel back and how people left but it is interesting to think back to the first message board for cb and how every 1 used to ride there like every day and we knew so much about cb and we all knew what each other were talking about but now it is all divided up

Wherever you go, ride safe and have fun (or just have fun... :D )

That's one of the most sensible things I've heard in a long time! I can't wait to be having fun again! Someone posted a photo of snowmaking at Snowshoe in WV. Won't be long now.

When I make my Pocono run, I'll probably go to as many hills as I can (midweek) and test out as much terrain as I can, including CB, so that I'll be better able to plan a more dedicated return trip for 2005-2006. I'm not all that keen on run-outs, however.

Given what some have said, it sounds like some of this group would really like Blue Knob. If you've never been over there, they have good glades (when the snow is good) and some hair-raising steeps. The total vertical drop is only 10 feet shy of Blue's, so the runs are fairly long (for PA). The lifts are as poky as anything in all of PA, and the top-of-the-hill lodge (an inverted resort) is about as lackluster as they come. So the Knob is for those who like to ski and board in good, challenging terrain, but aren't so interested in the ambience of the lodge. I'd love it if they could swing a high-speed quad, but the profits, apparently, just aren't there to make it happen...

VolklYokel

That's one of the most sensible things I've heard in a long time! I can't wait to be having fun again! Someone posted a photo of snowmaking at Snowshoe in WV. Won't be long now.

When I make my Pocono run, I'll probably go to as many hills as I can (midweek) and test out as much terrain as I can, including CB, so that I'll be better able to plan a more dedicated return trip for 2005-2006. I'm not all that keen on run-outs, however.

Given what some have said, it sounds like some of this group would really like Blue Knob. If you've never been over there, they have good glades (when the snow is good) and some hair-raising steeps. The total vertical drop is only 10 feet shy of Blue's, so the runs are fairly long (for PA). The lifts are as poky as anything in all of PA, and the top-of-the-hill lodge (an inverted resort) is about as lackluster as they come. So the Knob is for those who like to ski and board in good, challenging terrain, but aren't so interested in the ambience of the lodge. I'd love it if they could swing a high-speed quad, but the profits, apparently, just aren't there to make it happen...

VolklYokel

Blue Knob is great. It is very similar to elk. Great snow and vert. The bottom of the mountain has very little run-out. They also have $10 tickets on certain nights with a college ID.

Edited by poconoceancity

• 1 year later...