Looking for Still Photographer

johnnypowder

Anyone interested?

I have video covered but am looking for someone who might like to shoot stills.

You shoot photos all day and give me copies of everything on a memory stick or DVD and..

I'll ante up some swag and an ALL ACCESS PASS which will get you on the snow, on top of the scaffolding, into the Red Bull Athlete lounge to hang with JJ Thomas and Erik Leines, and entrance into the after party at PJ Welihans if you are over 21. :rock

First to PM with a link to some photo samples can be on board.

Do you pay your electric bill with ear muffs, stickers, and other "swag"?

you'd be surprised what we can pay with trade!

but getting back on topic, I'm just looking for someone interested in building their portfolio or someone who was thinking of coming to shoot their friends anyway. if you're going to be there anyway, why not get something for it.

not really looking for someone who is in the business.

if not interested, no worries on my part.

you'd be surprised what we can pay with trade!

but getting back on topic, I'm just looking for someone interested in building their portfolio or someone who was thinking of coming to shoot their friends anyway. if you're going to be there anyway, why not get something for it.

not really looking for someone who is in the business.

if not interested, no worries on my part.

Just to be clear, you're original post would get hammered on a photo-related MB. Kids build their portfolios when they shoot their friends away from comps...what you're looking for is a CHEAP way to get pics that you should pay for. My advice is to step up and actually pay for pics...like you pay other professionals. Photogs don't generally build portfolios when they are at comps that assign you spots to shoot from...sure, you'll get some kids to do it---and be sure to remind them that they still have to report and pay taxes on all the freebies.

Your post that I just quoted is a much better way of putting it...but asking to see someone's portfolio, then not paying for their services would be a really crappy thing to do.

Sorry to take this off topic, but what time is this shin-dig getting started? I live right around the corner and would hate to miss it.

Oakley Rail or Bail Series

Saturday, January 6, 2007

to Saturday, February 17, 2007 5:00 PM

Please refer to specific registration times below.

Northeast Pennsylvania

Pocono Pines , PA

The Oakley Rail or Bail Series is a three stop competition tour featuring urban style rails and features.

Cash and product prizes will be given out to the top athletes in each division. Pro-Riders will be present for all to meet and greet.

Fees: $25 / $35 day of

Helmets: Helmets are required by all athletes in order to compete. No exceptions!

Cash & Prizes!: The Series will total over $10,000 in Cash & Prizes! Each tour stop will award cash prizes for the open division as follows: 1st $500; 2nd $350 ; 3rd $250; 4th $200; 5th $150; 6th $50. The top six Grommet Category riders will be awarded product prizes. Tons of swag will be given! Overall Series winners will also be awarded.

February 17, 2007: Montgomeryville Meltdown - Buckman's, 925 Bethlehem Pike (Route 309), Montgomeryville, PA

Divisions: Open to skiers and snowboarders. Open Class for cash prizes, no age group. Grommet Class for prizes, 12 and under. There are no gender categories; open style fomatted competition.

Entry Fees: Online Registration will save you $10 per event! $25 per event pre-registered; $35 day of registration.

Registration Times: (12 noon - 1:30 pm @ Montgomeryville Meltdown) Be on time to sign needed forms and receive bibs. Late arrivals or no shows will not be refunded.

Format: All Athletes will have practice time. Competition will be Jam format. Top 16 Open Class and top 10 Grommet qualify for Jam Finals. Grommet qualifed riders are based on participation levels.

Jam Finals: 6 pm @ Montgomeryville Meltdown)

Montgomeryville Meltdown @ Buckman's- $25 if registered online by February 14, 2007 / $35 day of registration Registration -

12 noon - 1:30 p.m. Finals - 6:00 pm

be on time to sign needed forms and receive bibs

late arrivals or no shows will not be refunded

Prize Breakdown for Each Tour Stop

Open Class 1st $500.00 2nd $350.00 3rd $250.00 4th $200.00 5th $150.00 6th $50.00

Grommet Class Top six receive product prizes

for more information contact railorbail@hotmail.com

Ya you can go back and forth on this for sure. Would one lose all the rights to photos taken, would there be compensation if they went somewhere beyond Buckmans site, etc.... Ski brings up some very good points.

However, I think there are plenty of people like myself who treat photography as just a hobby (ya sure it would be nice if we could all be the super talented hobbyist photog whose photos were discovered by someone at Microsoft and became the Vista backgrounds), and would love to just be a part of the scene for the day. Sure maybe we are missing out on potential earnings, but to some people, even those who have the knowledge to gain those earnings, that might not be what they're into it for. Just don't screw anybody over and use their shots for big advertising campaigns or banners on the side of your store or magazine/paper/anything ads or posters and you should be fine.

Thanks for the props Papa, but I gotta be at Blue workin'.

Check with mtnbiker99x for stills. He has great equipment, and takes great pics.

D$ definatly has some skills, but like Ski(a photog) he has bills to pay.

I agree with Ski. However, even if they weren't offering money, I'd do it (if only I didn't have to race), but they'd be my property, on my site, and they can pay me to use them. Like ski said, swag doesn't pay for thousands of dollars of camear equipment. I've built my portfolio, not doing stuff for free, but shooting friends skiing/cars, etc. But for being the official photog for an event, there better be money involved, dSLR's cost to much to shoot for free.

If you're willing to pay, the best photogs on this site are Mtnbike99x, Ski, and Jibophonic (all pro photogs)

ben birk owns you all :wiggle

Firstly, it has been my job to look out for young photogs/interns and I was just trying to get a point across to someone that may or may not have an understanding of how kids have been getting ripped off for their hard work. It seems that on every level you go, there's some person or company that has an event and makes an offer to throw some freebie stuff their way in exchange for total use of their work. Read the first post and you won't see what swag they are offering, yet the guy is ready to close the deal if you could prove your worthiness. I hate to see kids risk their expensive gear and simply give away their work. In the end, most situations like this end up with the kid screwed out of almost everything.

If the swag was worth so much, why the f*ck not just budget a few hundred bucks? Is there a DJ? Are they paying him? Is there any security? Are there lights? Is the cleanup crew being paid in swag?

It sounds like bitching, but that's how most people looking for free work want you to think.

The guy's second post was 100% fine. I'm not trying to beat him up over this. I don't have any investment in whether he hires a professional, or not. He could hand out disposable cameras for all I care. But if you are going to set requirements, then expect non-compensated work, it should be done as an internship, where the kid works with a professional photographer. Otherwise, you're just ripping him/her off. It's legal (as long as both are fully reporting the swag as payment and compensation), but it's just unethical. I don't expect anyone other than a couple of people on this MB to give a crap about my point---it sure sounds like a fine deal. But just consider it the equivalent of me snowplowing over the lip of your 60ft booter...

Rob: Ben Birk? Pfffttt..not one image that 500 other photogs haven't already shot. Let me put it to you like this: he is Levittown. Do you know what that means? And I wonder how long he'd last in a war zone, trying to find a skateboarder or wakeboarder? Not long, I'd guess...

I don't expect anyone other than a couple of people on this MB to give a crap about my point-

Nah its a real good point and hopefully people will see it if it is new to them. I'm just getting into photography and have been learning so much through websites and have read about cases like this on plenty of them where someone ended up getting the shit end of the stick when their photo was used for some big advertisement but they ended up signing it away because at the time they thought a free board sounded like more than ample compensation, but then saw how much companies pay for ads of that size.

Firstly, it has been my job to look out for young photogs/interns and I was just trying to get a point across to someone that may or may not have an understanding of how kids have been getting ripped off for their hard work.

I'm with you and understand everything you say - matter of fact when I first met Ben, he sent me photos of Nips - I asked him why he was not marking his photos. Now I notice all his photos are being marked with his logo and URL.. I just think that in this type of fun event that there are plenty of amatuer photographers who would shoot it just to get published, the swag is an added bonus.

A sanctioned regional or national event is another matter. Published work in a portfolio is much more credible than an album of snapshots. The scenario of - How do you get credit if you don't have any credit, comes to mind.

Ben does have a good eye, and yes, his photos are a dime a dozen in the snow trade rags - but his work isn't in those rags (yet) and that is the point I was making in comparison. He shoots every weekend for the fun of it and this might be something he would like to do since he has done parking lot jams before.

7.jpg

33.jpg

6.jpg

Edited by Papasteeze

There is nothing special about his stuff, and nothing that nobody here can't do.

http://www.benbirkphoto.com/gallery.html

so much hate, you should be on NS.. so tell me, besides the professional photgraphers on here, who else has a website of thier work? Seems to me that he is doing stuff others aren't doing. :wiggle

Seems to me that he is doing stuff others aren't doing. :wiggle

Hardly. What he's doing is nothing new. So much hate? Like Ski, it's nothing that hasn't been done before. I am simply stating my opinion that his stuff is nothing special. It's just a hobby of his, his shots are good, but like i said, nothing special.

It seems like anyone with a wideangle and a dSLR now is a freakin great photog.

It seems like anyone with a wideangle and a dSLR now is a freakin great photog.

Ha, that's true. Reminds me of a satire on My Space Portrait Style Photography that I recently saw on TV.

Rob, I'm all for paying your dues to create a portfolio, but there's just so much usery and exploitation out there. There needs to be an end game. My first job was as a paid intern at the Salisbury Daily Times, in Salisbury, MD. I was paid $3.50 per photo...that's not a typo. But within a year of graduation, I was named the Chief Photographer and was bringing home a wopping $275/week. :rolleyes:

I used to run into so many burning buildings that one of the firemen gave me his old turnout coat...but I knew that if I kept at it, they would have to hire me full time.

On the other hand, I also know people that work in PR departments that took college classes in which they were taught how to get free photography for their events. Yes, colleges teach how to scam young photographers, with NO compensation.

And, just for the record, a lot of pro photogs choose to keep their portfolios private--including URL's--because they want to protect their images. I've posted some of my work on this site, but would never even consider sharing my website except with editors.

Papa the hypocritical moron

Ha, you aren't by any chance from Montana?

Edited by ski