what's Elk like?

VTmark

I've never been their and someone on my street has a cabbin up by Elk and i'm going to be going up on sunday and saterday.

It has some good expert terrain.

The terrain park is very small.

Usually weekend crowds arent that bad but with this snowfall on the eve of President's Weekend it could be pretty jammed. I think lifts open at 830 so I would be an early bird and make the most of it before the gapers arrive.

It has some good expert terrain.

The terrain park is very small.

Usually weekend crowds arent that bad but with this snowfall on the eve of President's Weekend it could be pretty jammed. I think lifts open at 830 so I would be an early bird and make the most of it before the gapers arrive.

I was thinking about doing the earley bird thing then headding down to sno for more uncrowded runs.

you wanted a trip report so here it is:

Thursday Febuary 15th- Sickest day ever

This had to be the best day ive ever ridden. I got there around 12 because the roads were a little messy yet and i almost shat myself to find no one there. You could go all the way to the top in your car thats how empty it was. Anyways l i did the cliff on mahican my first run, then to wissahickon woods. For the rest of the day i did kickapoo, to tecumseh, to chippewa, to wyalusing all in one run. I stayed in the woods the whole day and i found many pow stashes and little drops to do. The whole mountain was ungroomed and was amazing. The snow was a little slow and i got my board stuck a few times in powder drifts but otherwise it was very fun. I reccomend doing the cliff on mahican b/c it is so f'n fun. Just watch out for patrollers when in the woods at elk cause they are little bitches about riding off trails. Anyways enjoy your time there, this is going to be the best week there so take advantage of it!!!!! :wiggle :wiggle :wiggle

I was there on wed during the snowstorm, so I have no clue what things are usually like. There weren't big crowds, but the highways were closed by the time I left, and most of the roads getting to elk were plowed once at best (in 2 feet once was not enough).

There wasn't anything tremedously steep. The steepest terrain is in a section of woods called the "ozone" by a local I was with. We didn't ride it, because he showed me on our last run. We rode trees most of the day, and I hit a super fun cliff on wissahickon once, but didn't want to spend the effort to get there again. I'm not sure if it's possible when there isn't fresh snow, but when I hit it, the impact was hardly noticable off a 8+ foot cliff.

The bump runs were fun, but I only did 1 or two runs down them.

Overall the mountain seems fair long and drawn out with nothing getting too steep at one spot. There is a wide variety of trails. For a experienced recreational skier that just free rides, this will keep you interested all day. The bumps are the only real technical riding (and not nearly as tech as barneys bumps, or WL), unless you duck into the woods. Someone else mentioned some cliffs, so if thats your thing, this mountain probably has more than anywhere else in pa.

The mountain is in the middle of no where so it's ski snobs, and back woods locals. It's a better type of crowd (IMHO) than what you will see at CB, Blue.

The snow quality I experienced was great (remember 2 feet of snow), but in the bumps there was some hardpack on the back sides of a few of the bumps that had more traffic than others. With this in mind, I can't imagine the snow would be THAT different than others in the poconos, but crowds may be the difference maker in comparison to some other places.

My ticket on wed was $15 with my college ID, and was good form open-4:30, or alternatively 12-close. They closed at 4:30 when I was there due to the weather.

I had a blast and would go back any time (especially on a wed). Just like all mountains it has it's own flavor, and I can recommend it. My personal riding preferences lean elsewhere, so I wouldn't really ever consider a season pass there (not that I could afford it, their season passes are PRICEY).

Definitely give it try at some point mark, but I wouldn't bother trying to do the 2 mountains in the same day. There is a pretty good drive between the two, and IMO it just isn't worth it.

I was there on wed during the snowstorm, so I have no clue what things are usually like. There weren't big crowds, but the highways were closed by the time I left, and most of the roads getting to elk were plowed once at best (in 2 feet once was not enough).

There wasn't anything tremedously steep. The steepest terrain is in a section of woods called the "ozone" by a local I was with. We didn't ride it, because he showed me on our last run. We rode trees most of the day, and I hit a super fun cliff on wissahickon once, but didn't want to spend the effort to get there again. I'm not sure if it's possible when there isn't fresh snow, but when I hit it, the impact was hardly noticable off a 8+ foot cliff.

The bump runs were fun, but I only did 1 or two runs down them.

Overall the mountain seems fair long and drawn out with nothing getting too steep at one spot. There is a wide variety of trails. For a experienced recreational skier that just free rides, this will keep you interested all day. The bumps are the only real technical riding (and not nearly as tech as barneys bumps, or WL), unless you duck into the woods. Someone else mentioned some cliffs, so if thats your thing, this mountain probably has more than anywhere else in pa.

The mountain is in the middle of no where so it's ski snobs, and back woods locals. It's a better type of crowd (IMHO) than what you will see at CB, Blue.

The snow quality I experienced was great (remember 2 feet of snow), but in the bumps there was some hardpack on the back sides of a few of the bumps that had more traffic than others. With this in mind, I can't imagine the snow would be THAT different than others in the poconos, but crowds may be the difference maker in comparison to some other places.

My ticket on wed was $15 with my college ID, and was good form open-4:30, or alternatively 12-close. They closed at 4:30 when I was there due to the weather.

I had a blast and would go back any time (especially on a wed). Just like all mountains it has it's own flavor, and I can recommend it. My personal riding preferences lean elsewhere, so I wouldn't really ever consider a season pass there (not that I could afford it, their season passes are PRICEY).

Definitely give it try at some point mark, but I wouldn't bother trying to do the 2 mountains in the same day. There is a pretty good drive between the two, and IMO it just isn't worth it.

So nothing like WL. Anything really step and fast? or is it a lot of steeper crusers?

I've done two mt's in one day before. Last year the day BC closed i when to Blue then i when to BC then i whent back to Blue.

Awesome report, Glenn...dead on, IMO.

Elk regulars that I sometimes ski with are actually looking forward to a little more elbow room next season as Sno steals away some of the Scranton/WB day trippers. Elk may not get as packed as CB or Blue during holidays, but it does get just as impossible...Slalom is my fav run at Elk---nice fall line, as is Susquehanna.

i don't think the crowds at elk are bad at all, especially considering it's the busiest holiday of the year. I'm an instructor, so the lift lines and lodge don't really affect me too much, but i'd imagine they'd be the only crappy part. the mountain is 100% open, so once you get up on the hill it doesn't feel too crowded.

Edited by kate

i don't think the crowds at elk are bad at all, especially considering it's the busiest holiday of the year. I'm an instructor, so the lift lines and lodge don't really affect me too much, but i'd imagine they'd be the only crappy part. the mountain is 100% open, so once you get up on the hill it doesn't feel too crowded.

Lift line is what I'm concerned about. The lift ride is long enough, without having to wait in line....it takes away from time on the mountain and that adds up for a four hour ticket.

i went up today with a friend of mine and we had a blast. yes the lift lines were longer than normal but if u take the singles line, it takes 50 percent off the wait. We mostly did the woods on wissahickon, lenape, and tecumseh-chippewa today. It got a little icy towards 2 in some spots but other than that it was perfect. I did have way to many close calls with those damn kids that r two feet tall and stop suddenly. Dont you just love how the person who wasnt in control always thinks its your fault when theres a near collision....

I like Elk for their variety of trails, long runs, and the VT/NH feel. I prefer CB and Blue for their steeper diamonds and high speed lifts. I ski mostly mid-week mornings, so crowds and snow conditions are hardly ever a factor for me, but I'm sure Elk would win these categories on the weekends.

Nice long runs, slow lift lines (which I am not stating as a negative, as it leads to my next item...), uncrowded trails, about 25 legitimate runs (as opposed to runs listed as an Upper and Lower, connectors, etc). Trails under the cover of trees. Beautiful landscape. The friendliest people I've ever experienced at a ski area (on Sunday when I talked to about 8 people during lift rides...one even gave me her name and her husband's company info so I could apply for a job after I graduate). It was awesome, best $50 I ever spent.

*** Edit *** Though a student discount would be greatly appreciated (hint hint)!

Edited by stever2003

I agree on most things I have read except for I like Blue and Camelbacks expert steeps better? I started skiing at camelback 25 yrs ago. It is in no way an expert mountain. Now, marjies and the rocket are nice and steep at the top, but for only 50 yds then become gradually flat. Cliffhanger is not really a black diamond imho.. Now blue has 2 runs that are legit pa blacks, challenge and razors. nice runs for pa, but in no way steeper than anything at elk. Sno mtn has the steepest blacks by far, but too short and only 3 runs. Elk has 8 or 9 legit blacks and nice steeps on the left side of the mtn, mohawk, iroqoius etc. and they are narrow like old ne classic runs. The mountains I have mentioned are all my favorite in pa. I skied blue as much as possible before I could afford to buy a cabin up at elk..All of the other ski mountains are family areas with the now popular terrain parks for the kids, not a true ski or ride experience. Just my opinion. the bottom line is if you truly enjoy where you ski or ride, then my hats off to you!