Tuckermans

Shadows

two days is possible. i wanted to go this year, but the coverage is terrible. from what ive read, the main headwall is unskiable, you have to rock climb up to the upper snowfields which have barely any snow on them, or ski the shepburn trail or the lower snowfields. locals say it looks more like late may then early april. so with that in mind, im waiting until next year when there is hopefully more snow, more routes down open (hillmans highway, ect), and when i get an avi probe and beacon.

two days is possible. i wanted to go this year, but the coverage is terrible. from what ive read, the main headwall is unskiable, you have to rock climb up to the upper snowfields which have barely any snow on them, or ski the shepburn trail or the lower snowfields. locals say it looks more like late may then early april. so with that in mind, im waiting until next year when there is hopefully more snow, more routes down open (hillmans highway, ect), and when i get an avi probe and beacon.

There are pleny of skiable routes in the bowl. I skied last year the weekend before memorial day and it had less snow than in the picture in the above post. We skied THE LEFT GULLY and THE CHUTE. I am heading up in May for some turns. The drive sucks, but it is well worth it for the experience.

Two sites to check:

www.tuckerman.org - They update the avalanche report daily through the end of may.

http://www.timefortuckerman.com/

TuckermanSkiRoutes.jpg

LEGEND

1 - Left Gulley

2 - Chute Variation South

3 - The Chute

4 - Chute Variation North

5 - Center Gully South

6 - Center Gully North

7 - The Icefall

8 - The Lip

9 - The Sluice

10 - Right Gully (Lobster Claw, Lion Head Gully 1 2 & 3 further over)

i want to go down there for some late season turns. how long of a trip is it. two days possible?

You can definitely do, but you have to ask yourself some questions first.

Do I have winter camping gear?

Do I know how to winter camp?

Do I have avy gear and training?

Can I ski 50 degree shit that isn't groomed?

There are some more questions of course but if you answer any of those with possibly the exception of three in the negative stay home. Gapers f themselves up there all the time because they don't use there head. It may be 60 at noon and -20 six hours later.

I highly recomend that if you go that you go with a partner or a group. If you can't find someone pm me and you would be welcome to join ours. Also Mt. Washington is on the EC but generally is far nastier than alot of the 14ers out west. In 2000, we stood on the summit in 50 degree sunny weather by the time we hit Hermit Lake the weather went completely ape shit. 70mph winds and incredably cold. The BD tent more than paid for it self that night. If you want to ski Tuckerman but don't want the above do it as a day trip. If you are there by 8 you can ski for a 5 or 6 hours and leave the same day. (even more if coverage on Sherbourne is good) Go prepared and have a blast the place is really cool.

If all you have to do for mad sponsors is throw down the perfect power wedge than I'm a shue in.

I want to go to Tucks some day too but I'd need to practice every day of my life for the next two years to be at that level. Oh well.. it's a good, although highly improbable, goal to have.

You want to go up there soon if your going to go. There is a trail below the bowl that you can ski down at the end of the day (insted of hiking down with your stuff) but when the snow melts on that, your hoofing it down. Its much easier, and less aggrivating to ski down. (Skis don't ride the same way on a pack going down as they do going up).

I think it took 10-12 hours from philly go get up there.