hiking the plaza?

Is the plaza the only thing that is going to be open for the rail jam? The way it looks now, they could have an entire trail open, with lift service.

I'm fairly certain that no lift will be run for the rail jam. Things could change I suppose, but more likely than not it will be set up as a hike-up park.

last year, i hiked big boulder trail mid to late april. no one was around to yell at me, so I dont see why you couldnt. Of just go, and if someone yells at you, just leave, whats the big deal?

big deal? the big deal is if you get hurt boulder would be in deep shit .

last year, i hiked big boulder trail mid to late april. no one was around to yell at me, so I dont see why you couldnt. Of just go, and if someone yells at you, just leave, whats the big deal?

What if they don't yell at you and instead just call the cops? You would in fact be trespassing on private property.

Go at night when no ones there or go up the trail higher than they can see you from the base its not like there is someone on a sled going up and down all the trails making sure no one is on them. Yea it is trespassing and you risk getting a citation, but if you don't make it blatantly obvious it shouldn't be an issue.

That's pretty dumb... :tinfoil::banghead

But some ski areas that are on National Forest service land permit hikers..like Stowe and Bridger Bowl..

It's not worth going to jail over earing turns..

you are fucking retarted if you think you are going to go to jail for poaching a ski resort after closing. 99.9% of the time, no one is there, and if someone was, they will just ask you to leave.

I also used to go with a friend to Jack Frost and switch off driving to the bottom the pick the other up each time.

Edited by jordan

Isn't tress-passing a criminal offense. You might not go to jail but you'd get your name in the system. I've always wanted to poach Blue but the sign saying that the ski area is closed to skiing, riding, tubing and that tresspassers will be prosucuted has always kept me away..

I guess I could just tell the cop that Jordan said it was O.K. The ski area is private property..I'd like to poach Dorney Park..not ride the rides..just rollerblade around the paths..I bet I'd only get a citation.

If they tell you to leave and you don't, it's a 3rd degree misdemeanor, otherwise it's a summary offense. You can still get up to 90 days in jail for a summary. The section is 3503 of the PACC for Criminal Trespass

I don't believe going to jail or getting a citation should be the reason to not hike JFBB, the reason is skiing/snowboarding can be a dangerous sport. That's why when it is open it is staffed by fully certified National Ski Patrollers. Beginners aren't the only ones that can get injured! The mt. is not patrolled during the off season, therefore if you are injured and can not remove yourself from the slope it could be hours or days before anyone will find you...that can be fatal. Believe me it's even dumber to think that it won't happen to you.

We are all bummed the season is over. Get your bikes or blades out and go have fun at a park. We are lucky they are opening for a rail jam in May. Be smart, and stay safe...don't do something stupid.

Edited by bbg

the reason to not hike JFBB, the reason is skiing/snowboarding can be a dangerous sport. That's why when it is open it is staffed by fully certified National Ski Patrollers.

so put a patroller or 2 there, sell some $5 tickets and let them hike.

I don't believe going to jail or getting a citation should be the reason to not hike JFBB, the reason is skiing/snowboarding can be a dangerous sport. That's why when it is open it is staffed by fully certified National Ski Patrollers. Beginners aren't the only ones that can get injured! The mt. is not patrolled during the off season, therefore if you are injured and can not remove yourself from the slope it could be hours or days before anyone will find you...that can be fatal. Believe me it's even dumber to think that it won't happen to you.

We are all bummed the season is over. Get your bikes or blades out and go have fun at a park. We are lucky they are opening for a rail jam in May. Be smart, and stay safe...don't do something stupid.

by your reasoning I shouldnt go hiking or mountain biking in the woods either right?

Well it depends...if they are designated trails or areas for it and they are OPEN you definitely should, but if they aren't designated areas and they are CLOSED then you shouldn't.

Common guys...this is a ridiculous argument. Every designated alpine ski area is patrolled during the season for a reason. It's closed but it will be open on May 5. It's a dumb idea to do it, that's it. I mean it's illegal because it's trespassing and it's dangerous because it is not maintained or patrolled.

Well it depends...if they are designated trails or areas for it and they are OPEN you definitely should, but if they aren't designated areas and they are CLOSED then you shouldn't.

Common guys...this is a ridiculous argument. Every designated alpine ski area is patrolled during the season for a reason. It's closed but it will be open on May 5. It's a dumb idea to do it, that's it. I mean it's illegal because it's trespassing and it's dangerous because it is not maintained or patrolled.

I'm sure nobody here would like people trespassing and doing things on their property.

so you shouldnt ski BC stuff cause its not partrolled? and i shouldnt go surfing if there are no lifeguards on the beach? or my friend shouldnt go biking at a trail at south mountain because its not officially monitored by anyone? your logic is silly. obviously anyone wanting to hike those rails realizes the risk involved by not having staffed patrollers. boulder doesnt want the liability, plain and simple.

Read the quote again before commenting...

if they are designated trails or areas for it and they are OPEN you definitely should, but if they aren't designated areas and they are CLOSED then you shouldn't.

Not everything in the world is patrolled...some things are OPEN and not patrolled, but they are OPEN that is the key. An area that is CLOSED and is usually patrolled but since it is closed it is not is not an area you should be in.

I am amazed that it takes 2 pages on a forum to discuss that you shouldn't go to a ski area when it's closed and try to hike it and ski it.

It is a crime and it is unsafe...I can't find how "my" logic is silly.

***Remember...I do believe the JFBB/Peak Resorts higher ups read these forums, and they usually have someone at JFBB working daily doing something, don't you think they will be mindful people will do this and be ready and catch and press charges for trespassing.***

Read the quote again before commenting...

Not everything in the world is patrolled...some things are OPEN and not patrolled, but they are OPEN that is the key. An area that is CLOSED and is usually patrolled but since it is closed it is not is not an area you should be in.

I am amazed that it takes 2 pages on a forum to discuss that you shouldn't go to a ski area when it's closed and try to hike it and ski it.

It is a crime and it is unsafe...I can't find how "my" logic is silly.

Your logic was that it was unsafe, thats why people are arguing. You started by saying that the real reason that people shouldnt do it is because it is unsafe to be there if its not patrolled. There are plenty of places out there that are unpatrolled, people go to these places all the time, so, legalities aside, your argument holds no weight

***Remember...I do believe the JFBB/Peak Resorts higher ups read these forums, and they usually have someone at JFBB working daily doing something, don't you think they will be mindful people will do this and be ready and catch and press charges for trespassing.***

Outside of the occasional Blue Ridge Real Estate security guard that drives through every now and then, no one is at JFBB in the offseason. Peak resorts does not own the property, so after the season, they vacate the premesis, so I dont see how the hiking situation in the post season will change from how it has been in the past.

Also, I think blue ridge higher ups have better things to do with their time than to stake out and prosecute those dangerous criminals who want to earn some turns.

Compared to the alternatives, I would say hiking a closed ski hill is the safest of the things I would do on a weekend. As for the signs etc - its all liability. If you hurt yourself they can point to the sign and say hey HE WAS TRESPASSING. This is one of those "at your own risk" type things. And doesn't the appliachian trail cross Blue Mt? How can they say no trespassers?