new skis

joeskier

I need a pair of new skis. i don't have a whole lot of money but i was looking online and found a pair or Rossignol T-Power Cobra X 181.

My question is. i currently have a very OLD pair of straight Atomics 200 i'm 6'3" tall but i've notice that these skis are getting to difficult to make turns with esp when my knees start acting up. I was looking to get something where i can make turns easier. i don't need bindings, the bindings i have are only a season old as is my poles. so all i need is the skis.

I'll take any suggestions from the experts.

I need a pair of new skis.  i don't have a whole lot of money but i was looking online and found a pair or  Rossignol T-Power Cobra X  181.

My question is.  i currently have a very OLD pair of straight Atomics 200 i'm 6'3" tall but i've notice that these skis are getting to difficult to make turns with esp when my knees start acting up.  I was looking to get something where i can make turns easier.  i don't need bindings, the bindings i have are only a season old as is my poles.  so all i need is the skis.

I'll take any suggestions from the experts.

Depending on your weight, 181 might even be too long, if you're looking for something easier to ski. I'd recommend anything from 170-175 at the max. That would be plenty long for you. I'm 5'11" and about 190lbs or so, and I ski on 170's, and I'm looking to go even shorter. 180 is alot of ski for a shaped ski. I'm a bit biased towards Atomics, but they're great skis, and for a great PA ski, you can't beat the Atomic GS:9. Thats what I ski on, and they're just simply amazing. :D

Im 6' and 170lbs and I skied 168s last year. I have 177's for this year, and they seem kinda short. I need longer ones. But I think longer length is just a park thing. Sorry i cant really help you out unless you want twins. Which, isnt a bad idea. Even if you dont hit up the park, skiing switch is like a whole other aspect to skiing. Its fun.

Edited by insomniac

I would go around 175....Look at teh salomon crossmax (10s and not the 8s).

They are a pretty nice ski for around here, and if you get to go outwest, they will be fine.

If you are looking at other brands....Volkl 5 or 6 star/supersport....(around 175)

Elan Fusians (sp?, there a good ski I hear, and I race on a pair of Elan SLXs...Good stuff, and pretty chaep too).

Atomic proabably the GS or SL 9s...Or what ever they are called now. Or the SX9s

Rossi, don't know too much about them

K2...Ehh all there skis are the same (with metal in the core so I would stay away from them)

Hope this helps

Well the last few years I have been mainly skiing on k2 and have not had any problems with them. I just recently purchased k2 axis xt in 174 and can't wait to try them out.

And I ski K2 Axis XP's in 167 (5'8", 150 pounds) since I'm out west. The XT was a good ski for groomers in the east. But both have been replaced this year by the Apache series.

Edited by sibhusky

Sib- I assume you either skied or demoed the xt out here, if you did would you reccomend it?

I demo'd it last year and liked it, but I was looking for a wider ski. We don't have a heck of a lot of ice here, but it seemed like a ski I would have liked for CB. Which, of course, is why I didn't get it! :D

whoever got the XT, you wont be dissappointed. awesome ski for PA conditions, and still wide enough to bust through crud and softer snow late season. for the originator of this threat, 181 is real big unless your going with a park ski or something that doesnt have a ton of sidecut like a powder/big mountain ski, which the cobra is not. look for low to mid 170's if your looking for more of a carving/cruising ski. dynastar skicross 9 or a volkl 5 star sounds like they would work well for you

Thanks eveyone,

It seems like everyone i talk to says something different about what kind or brand of ski i should get. I've done a little research and through talking with other people i definitely now what to stay away from. but i havne't made a fianal decision yet.

Thanks eveyone,

It seems like everyone i talk to says something different about what kind or brand of ski i should get.  I've done a little research and through talking with other people i definitely now what to stay away from.  but i havne't made a fianal decision yet.

Skis are all about personal preference, you should always demo skis before hand. I on the other hand, did not, but guess what? I absoloutly love my skis. From recommondations by skidude and Ski999, and from Ski Magezine, i bought my skis, and they're just amazing. They are some of the best PA skis in my mind. :D

Well when you finally decide let us know what you get!

Oh i will let you know for sure. : :yes

I kind a like the Atomic SX:7 170s. i'm kinda leaning toward those. i'll give it another day or two before i make a final decision. i've heard/read good things about them. anything new is gotta be better then what i have now. i just can't way to get out on the snow either way.

Oh i will let you know for sure.  : :yes

I kind a like the Atomic SX:7 170s.  i'm kinda leaning toward those.  i'll give it another day or two before i make a final decision.  i've heard/read good things about them.  anything new is gotta be better then what i have now.  i just can't way to get out on the snow either way.

If you're looking at the SX:7's, the GS:9's are a step up. If you're an aggresive skier, and ski anything PA can throw at you, definatly go with the GS:9's, or the SX:9's. The 7's are more of an intermediate ski, and the SX or GS 9's will give you a bit more performance.

Atomics are great skis, and you won't be dissapointed. Pick up a pair of 170cm GS:9's from last year, and you'll fall in love. The bindings that come on atomics (and you can only use atomic bindings, the GS:9's usually have the Race412, you an slide the whole binding assembly on the fly forward and backward a little over an inch to distrube your weight differently, and it makes the ski ski totally different, its amazing). Good luck.

Oh i will let you know for sure.  : :yes

I kind a like the Atomic SX:7 170s.  i'm kinda leaning toward those.  i'll give it another day or two before i make a final decision.  i've heard/read good things about them.  anything new is gotta be better then what i have now.  i just can't way to get out on the snow either way.

This is a GREAT attitude, Joe! The shaped skis are going to knock your socks off. Just lean 'em over, steer with your toes and they'll carve right where you want them to go! The side-cut on the SX7's is the same as the SX9's. The SX7's will be a great cruising ski, and besides, that cobalt blue top is mighty sexy. Hope you have a blue ski jacket to match! Best wishes if you decide to shop this weekend. ...best wishes anyway!

VolklYokel

ok heres another question. maybe a stupid one. are all bindings compatible with all ski boots. i know certain skis need certain bindings i just don't want to buy new skis and bindings then find out i have to buy new boots too. like i said before i am not really experienced with buying ski equipment and appericate all the comments

Well i finally came to a decision and made my big purchase.

After taking sugestions here and getting some info from other people i decided to get the Atomic SX 7 180s. I think they will work great for me and the way i ski. They look like some awesome skis. i can't wait to try them out. :D

here is a pic

b9_1_b.JPG