On her own...

Ski

I am exhausted from worry. And from being happy and proud and a dozen other emotions. It is like dropping your kid off at college in a far-away state, or sending them off to summer camp for the first time...just adding the possibility of a 30 foot fall from a ski lift.

The first day of race team practice is bittersweet for a parent who has never let their little skier out of their sight. I have to admit that while videotaping the birth of my youngest child seven years ago, my running commentary described the arrival the world's newest ski racer.

What makes my separation anxiety bearable is who I've turned her over to: a couple of young coaches who love doing what they do...who cheer and teach and use amazing care in all of their methods. The two coaches are already Tylea's heroes. And for that, they are mine as well.

If Ty becomes a great racer, I'll be happy; if she does not, then I'll be happy, too. It isn't about the results, but it's about a journey.

So I'd thought I'd share a photo of the first day of what I'm pretty sure will be a long and fun journey through her career as a ski racer. It's certainly a boring photo to just about everyone...a group of kids standing around listening to coaches lecturing. But to a race parent it's a snapshot of the greatest day ever.

whats the suits mean? the little kids have on the same outfit as the coaches?

The suits are the team uniforms. Race teams don't require families to purchase uniforms (it's a pretty big expense to put out another $250, or so, beyond the program and season pass, especially since kids outgrow them every year or two).

At Camelback, we were always told they'd like the travel team racers to buy and wear the jacket because it's easier for their own coaches to recognize them around the hills they go to.

The kids in the picture with the uniforms were on the team last year. Ty did get a team jacket, but her Spyder has some better features than the Beyond X jacket, so she'll probably just wear it to school. Beyond X gives good discounts to teams and they are rugged as hell, but I'm not a big fan of the style.

Wow just Wow..good stuff..

Thanks, Doug!

That really is great! Happy to see she's getting into it! its gottah be tough for you to have to leave the little one in someone elses hands (and will NOT get easier) becuase the more you trust them, the faster she's going to be going! If you love me you'll get a video of her First race!!!

Cole you must be so proud!.

I remember being at Boulder early season this year and seeing you there with Ty, and as a director and coach that really stuck into my mind. If I remember correctly she got hit by someone and was pretty shaken up, but you kept her out there. I saw you giving her the ole pep talk, and I remember thinking about coming over and saying hello and asking what was wrong. However, sometimes it just needs to be one on one, and in that situation you were the best coach for the job, and always will be. You're the one that got her to this point, taking her out to different hills, and giving her the advice she needed to become such a great skier. No matter how she ends up being involved with skiing, she'll always remember (maybe not through the teenage years, but you've been there) how her dad took her skiing in Pennsylvania in November, how he kept her skiing after the accidents, and how proud you are of her.

With the knowledge that you have about skiing, it is so good to see you step back and let her move out into another group on her own. As the years go by, she'll no doubt trust your advice, even if she doesn't seem to listen to it. As a coach, I can't wait to hear how she progresses.

Wow, thanks, T...thanks very much...

Hey ski, From a Kids point of view here...

Its really just awesome that you take so much time for your daughter. My father is always at work, 12 hours a day, and never home. He has NEVER seen me ski, and will never. My mom is supportive and takes me almost whenever I can, but my father just does not want to know much. It makes me feel good that your taking so much time out of your life, to spend with your daughter. and no matter WHEN or how old she is when she goes out with her friends skiing, she'll know where she would be without you teaching her at such a young age. She should be the happiest kid on the planet!

Ha, thanks, Mike...my dad never saw me ski and, even worse, never came to one of my soccer games from 3rd grade right through college. He never forgave me for not playing football. It's funny now, but it wasn't then. But I sure learned from the way he did things. Hopefully, we all learn from the goofy or mean thing our folks do. Just remember what they did and do the opposite. At least they didn't kill us and we all have to admit we've done some incredibly sh*tty things that we hope they never find out about...