Bode News

Ski

From Skiracing.com:

Wengen: Miller matches Mahre win mark

Sunday, 13 January 2008

Dust off that record book. Bode Miller has won the Lauberhorn downhill in no uncertain fashion and caught Phil Mahre's 25 year old U.S. win record with his 27th win.

Miller scorched the longest downhill on the World Cup circuit overpowering the field. Only Swiss veteran Didier Cuche, in his ninth official World Cup trip down the famed course could come within a full second of Miller's time of 2:30.40. Canadian Manuel Osborne-Paradis was third, one and a third seconds back and downhill standings leader Michael Walchhofer was fourth, giving up the standings lead.

The win marked the third straight year Americans have claimed Switzerland's premier downhill. Miller also won last season and Daron Rahlves in 2006.

"It was extremely fun," said Miller. "It didn't feel that good in terms of the quality of the skiing but I was very aggressive. I kept really pushing forward the whole time. There was no braking."

Miller trailed Osborne-Paradis at the first split and failed to match Cuche's speed under the Water Station tunnel. But the American pulled away on the long gliding sections in the second half of the course. After clearing the jump into the finish he looked at his time and pumped his fist.

"I take a little bit more of a direct line," he said. "I just cut off a lot of distance, especially when the speeds are a little slower."

Miller also said finishing third Friday in the super combined, which includes a shortened downhill and one run of slalom, helped him sort out some speed sections. "I learned that there were curves I couldn't ski full speed. I took them a bit slower today and I had a tighter line." He added, "If you ski crappy the wins don't mean that much. Today, I"m very proud of the way I skied. I fought hard."

Snows overnight dumped a meter of snow on the upper reaches of the course and although course workers did a fantastic job of clearing down to the ice underneath, some sections were notably slower.

"It was amazingly beautiful," said U.S. Head Coach Phil McNichol. "just a killer day. They got way more snow than was forecasted. They cleared it all off and the track was pretty damn good."

The coach said Miller has just become comfortable at Wengen and skied that way.

"He tore up the SG turns after the tunnel, really picked up a bunch of heat. The finish turns can be quite daunting and he just nailed them. Wengen has really turned into venue he's really comfortable with."

Behind Osborne-Paradis at the first checkpoint, Miller blew past the Canadian in the second section.

"I screwed up just before the Minsch-Kante," Osborne-Paradis said, "and figured I had nothing to lose, so I just pinned it the rest of the way. In the S, he said, "I caught my (boot) buckle a little bit on the (safety) bag. I wanted to take that line and was wondering if I could get away with it. It was line I hadn't tried all week, but I had screwed up Canadian corner and so and was a little slower

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Skiracing.com:

Wengen: Miller matches Mahre win mark

Sunday, 13 January 2008

Dust off that record book. Bode Miller has won the Lauberhorn downhill in no uncertain fashion and caught Phil Mahre's 25 year old U.S. win record with his 27th win.

Miller scorched the longest downhill on the World Cup circuit overpowering the field. Only Swiss veteran Didier Cuche, in his ninth official World Cup trip down the famed course could come within a full second of Miller's time of 2:30.40. Canadian Manuel Osborne-Paradis was third, one and a third seconds back and downhill standings leader Michael Walchhofer was fourth, giving up the standings lead.

The win marked the third straight year Americans have claimed Switzerland's premier downhill. Miller also won last season and Daron Rahlves in 2006.

"It was extremely fun," said Miller. "It didn't feel that good in terms of the quality of the skiing but I was very aggressive. I kept really pushing forward the whole time. There was no braking."

Miller trailed Osborne-Paradis at the first split and failed to match Cuche's speed under the Water Station tunnel. But the American pulled away on the long gliding sections in the second half of the course. After clearing the jump into the finish he looked at his time and pumped his fist.

"I take a little bit more of a direct line," he said. "I just cut off a lot of distance, especially when the speeds are a little slower."

Miller also said finishing third Friday in the super combined, which includes a shortened downhill and one run of slalom, helped him sort out some speed sections. "I learned that there were curves I couldn't ski full speed. I took them a bit slower today and I had a tighter line." He added, "If you ski crappy the wins don't mean that much. Today, I"m very proud of the way I skied. I fought hard."

Snows overnight dumped a meter of snow on the upper reaches of the course and although course workers did a fantastic job of clearing down to the ice underneath, some sections were notably slower.

"It was amazingly beautiful," said U.S. Head Coach Phil McNichol. "just a killer day. They got way more snow than was forecasted. They cleared it all off and the track was pretty damn good."

The coach said Miller has just become comfortable at Wengen and skied that way.

"He tore up the SG turns after the tunnel, really picked up a bunch of heat. The finish turns can be quite daunting and he just nailed them. Wengen has really turned into venue he's really comfortable with."

Behind Osborne-Paradis at the first checkpoint, Miller blew past the Canadian in the second section.

"I screwed up just before the Minsch-Kante," Osborne-Paradis said, "and figured I had nothing to lose, so I just pinned it the rest of the way. In the S, he said, "I caught my (boot) buckle a little bit on the (safety) bag. I wanted to take that line and was wondering if I could get away with it. It was line I hadn't tried all week, but I had screwed up Canadian corner and so and was a little slower

Edited by First Grade Teacher

Yes! Go Bode..... Give em all the what fer..... yes yes yes.... Stay at it, don't give up.... shut em all up, pleeeeeease.

Miller joins an elite group of skiers to have won the Wengen downhill more than once. Stephan Ebertharter, the man now just ahead of him on the all-time win list won in 2003 and 2003.

Bode Miller has won the Lauberhorn downhill in no uncertain fashion and caught Phil Mahre's 25 year old U.S. win record with his 27th win.

Miller scorched the longest downhill on the World Cup circuit overpowering the field. Only Swiss veteran Didier Cuche, in his ninth official World Cup trip down the famed course could come within a full second of Miller's time of 2:30.40

A full second, unheard of? hahahahahaha JEA!!

Kids really don't care much about Bode these days. It would be like the final scene of Clockwork Orange (where they force open the gang leader's eyes with a metal contraption) trying to get a kid interested in the Lauberhorn.

IMO, downhill and SuperG racing is so far removed from what most race kids---especially in the East---can relate to. I'd say that more than 95% of PARA kids will never even see a speed course and even New England programs hold just a couple speed races almost as a novelty. Ligety is far and away the better technical skier than Bode, who is 15th in the world in giant slalom and 23rd in slalom. DH and SG are more about who gets the best base material and who's tech hits the right wax. The greatest downhiller on the planet will give up 2 to 4 seconds on a DH course to the skier with the fast skis and right wax.

Since the best skier in the world was hurt in a crash last month, Bode and Raich (and maybe Cuche) will battle it out for the overall. But it's a less than thrilling battle since one is a great tech skier and the other is winning speed events and they don't battle it out head to head.

Kids really don't care much about Bode these days.

a couple of current threads from a youth skiing board,

http://newschoolers.com/web/forums/readthr...read_id/335232/

http://newschoolers.com/web/forums/readthr...read_id/327366/

http://newschoolers.com/web/forums/readthr...read_id/297957/

Is that what you call NS when you're trying to add a little credibility? A "youth skiing board"? Too funny. What a wonder that kids on NS would say there should be more racers who get drunk and say fuck you.

as far as I know it is the largest youth skiing board, where kids do express thier opinions. You siad kids don't care. If you noticed, those threads seem to be equally divided amongst the kids who either love or hate Bode. You said kids don't care. They care enough to post about him. I think it is interesting to watch how fast a BOde thread grows on a freeskiing site. That says a lot, because there is not another racer who garners that much interest. Like him or not ski, he is very good for skiing.

BTW I don't need to give NS credibility, in spite of the atmosphere, that board has a huge following by many industry professionals including coaches who want to remain anonymous - you may or may not, have no idea of who is on there on a regular basis, but you can imagine, right?

Whatever. The kids on there are posting to an anti-authority concept, not having actually seen Bode race outside of Utube clips. It's hilarious to consider you are gaging the pulse of ski racing on a Newschoolers message board.

You hang out on NS way too much, Rob. Way too much.

Kids really don't care much about Bode these days. It would be like the final scene of Clockwork Orange (where they force open the gang leader's eyes with a metal contraption) trying to get a kid interested in the Lauberhorn.

IMO, downhill and SuperG racing is so far removed from what most race kids---especially in the East---can relate to. I'd say that more than 95% of PARA kids will never even see a speed course and even New England programs hold just a couple speed races almost as a novelty.

It's different out here. Sure colleges concentrate on tech races, but in the West, where we can hold speed events, the kids MUST run a speed event to qualify for JO's. If you don't run a speed event all season, you are automatically NOT considered for JO's as the goal is to build more Bodes, i.e., four event skiers.

It's different out here. Sure colleges concentrate on tech races, but in the West, where we can hold speed events, the kids MUST run a speed event to qualify for JO's. If you don't run a speed event all season, you are automatically NOT considered for JO's as the goal is to build more Bodes, i.e., four event skiers.

Bode sucks! He only has more wins than ANY skier in history from the US! Maybe your daughter should tell her boss to fuck off when she grows up. Seems to work for Bode.

Now before you go off on some crazy side topic....................I'm kidding!

:ph34r:

Bode sucks! He only has more wins than ANY skier in history from the US! Maybe your daughter should tell her boss to fuck off when she grows up. Seems to work for Bode.

You keep saying Bode sucks. I've said about a thousand times he's an amazing talent. I keep saying I don't care about Bode because I don't admire people who egg on family members who murder cops. If you think Bode is a great role model and a great champion, then fine for you. And how about you don't mention my daughter, Larry, and I won't mention your's?

A grown man that still can't use the apostrophe properly with possessive forms of personal pronouns. It makes it impossible to then read their meaningless posts...

Wow, you got me there, DH. "Your is" just doesn't make sense. Pretty good for someone without a college education. Maybe you can get a job as....uh, well, probably not. It's cool, though, the world needs ditch diggers.

What ARE you talking about? I made no comment whatsoever about Bode himself, only that the US ski team wants four event skiers like Bode. I also cannot imagine why my daughter should tell her boss (??? what boss?) to fuck off. And she is "grown up". WHAT ARE YOU ON?

You keep saying Bode sucks. I've said about a thousand times he's an amazing talent. I keep saying I don't care about Bode because I don't admire people who egg on family members who murder cops. If you think Bode is a great role model and a great champion, then fine for you. And how about you don't mention my daughter, Larry, and I won't mention your's?

Ski, I thought he was talking about Siblet, he was quoting ME, not you. Of course, maybe since the person's name started with "s" he thought he was responding to one of your quotes, which would make more sense to me since I never thought he had issues with me.