Blue's Jumps

KevinThomas

Let me start off by saying that i think the current set up on sidewinder park is the best park i've ever skied at blue. most of the the rails are set up real well, and the jumps are decent and flow real well. that being said, here's my two cents and ideas for the jump situation at blue.

1. Crowd control - we all know that blue gets pretty crowded, especially on weekends.

Suggestions: Make sure that all entrances to sidewinder are fenced off

Make sure the steps are shoveled

Fence off the landing to the last jump in the jump line (the one before the wall). The first 2 or 3 you can scope out pretty good from the hip, so it's

pretty easy to tell when it's safe to drop. The last one however, is always a guessing game.

2. Jump Structure - as i said before, the jumps are pretty decent.

Suggetsions: Make them bigger-all the jumps seem pretty small. Bigger spins seem a little forced even of the last one in the jump line. I think a good 45+

foot jump would be awesome, as long as the landing matches the transition of the take off.

Change the style of the jump. The last one is pretty solid, the table style one before the wall, but all the landings seem a little short, and are

pretty high impact.

Now let me state that these are just my opinions and observations. I think keith and park crue are doing an awesome job so far this year and i've been really stoked on riding at blue. However, these are just a few things i personally think could help make the park a little more fun, as well as safe, to ride.

Here's a little illustration.

in the top image, is the style jump i'm referring to that i think is really safe, and fun to ride.

the bottom image is what blue's got now (hit before wall) with the suggestion of a fenced off landing, no collisions.

1202098087-568436-600x600-1202097956jumps.jpg

Edited by KevinThomas

crowd control for sure. i dont want to have to get into a fight with a 65yo man who cuts me off again. bigger jumps, but with two lips on all of them so the landings dont get bombed out as fast and so there is a smaller hit and a larger hit that you can decide on based upon the speed you are carrying into it.

Edited by toast21602

crowd control for sure. i dont want to have to get into a fight with a 65yo man who cuts me off again. bigger jumps, but with two lips on all of them so the landings dont get bombed out as fast and so their is a smaller hit and a larger hit that you can decide on based on the speed you are carrying into it.

agreed.

this idea of fencing off the landing is pretty interesting. i think its something that should be looked into not just at blue, but everywhere. simple and cheap. what about the poles they use to put in front of closed features? that could work too.

first off, thanks for replying with a legit post haha. i think the signs would work to a degree, but i think there'd have to be more than one or two on either side of the jump to actually slow people down/stop them. and then even if they were going slow, they could still acces the landing...and a gaper going slow down a landing is worse than one going fast and getting off of it quick haha. good thoughts though for sure.

this idea of fencing off the landing is pretty interesting.

What about your first run where you are checking the features and want to ride next to the lip to check the size of the lip, distance to knuckle and steepness of the landing. Or, what about when you are shadowing someone off the jump to dial in the speed. Fences blocking the landing are lame.

Also, Blue doesn't have a winch cat and can't make super steep landings. Even here in WP with our winch cat made landings, things are pretty high impact on a 30 degree slope.

What about your first run where you are checking the features and want to ride next to the lip to check the size of the lip, distance to knuckle and steepness of the landing. Or, what about when you are shadowing someone off the jump to dial in the speed. Fences blocking the landing are lame.

you could still ski up the lip of the jump to check it out, and i dont think the fences would go all the way to the edge of the table, making it impossible to get by without hitting the jump. there'd obvioulsy still have to be space at the end of the fences to get through while scoping the jump out. good point, but i don't think they're lame really. i think they'd save a lot of injuries and scares.

The fencing sounds great actually. I seriously really like that idea.

With the Asian Invasion and the crowds though especially in this weather its gonna be next to impossible to control those bumps in the landings on the first hits. The only thing I could think of is make the jumps more intimidating but it amazes me how many kids like to kill their knees by purposely casing the step downs.

I really enjoyed the jump last year after the wall. I think its way to high up right now. If they brought it down a little and made it bigger with more pop.. I think that would be money. Blues park is amazing this year though no doubt. The pipe is actually half decent too. Props to Park Crue.

I really enjoyed the jump last year after the wall. I think its way to high up right now. If they brought it down a little and made it bigger with more pop.. I think that would be money. Blues park is amazing this year though no doubt. The pipe is actually half decent too. Props to Park Crue.

agreed completely, and add a little bit steeper landing than it had.

also, more rails/boxes after the wallride. it just gets so empty after that and there is so much space to work with. and another thing... put a lip back onto the stairs. it was there saturday and it was perfect. sunday morning first run in the park there is NOTHING. i think somebody ate it.

but that doesnt really have anything to do with the jumps, just the park in general

I agree with the problems but not the solution. Well actually I like your ramp idea and thanks for the illustration, but the fence on the table is not a good idea. You are treating a symptom and not the problem. The problem is that there are a bunch of people who don't belong in the park in the park, not that people shouldn't be crossing next to the ramp. My warm up run or two in the morning, I take all the jumps and ollie the knuckles, it warms up my knees, I can see the jump, now what? What if you are going into a jump and have to bail - no you are going to slam on the brakes last minute and hope to stop before you go off the ramp or hit a fence, lame. Or what if I hit the first jump, fall so you can't hit the second table, and want to pump the second table to get enough speed for the 3rd? With a fence you can't. And it doesn't prevent people from sitting at the bottom of the landing. What if you want to film?

A better solution would be to have people clipping the tickets of those in the landings, that would truly make things safer.

I agree with the problems but not the solution. Well actually I like your ramp idea and thanks for the illustration, but the fence on the table is not a good idea. You are treating a symptom and not the problem. The problem is that there are a bunch of people who don't belong in the park in the park, not that people shouldn't be crossing next to the ramp. My warm up run or two in the morning, I take all the jumps and ollie the knuckles, it warms up my knees, I can see the jump, now what? What if you are going into a jump and have to bail - no you are going to slam on the brakes last minute and hope to stop before you go off the ramp or hit a fence, lame. Or what if I hit the first jump, fall so you can't hit the second table, and want to pump the second table to get enough speed for the 3rd? With a fence you can't. And it doesn't prevent people from sitting at the bottom of the landing. What if you want to film?

A better solution would be to have people clipping the tickets of those in the landings, that would truly make things safer.

Fence off the landing to the last jump in the jump line (the one before the wall). The first 2 or 3 you can scope out pretty good from the hip, so it's

pretty easy to tell when it's safe to drop. The last one however, is always a guessing game.

fence would be a great idea there. i have seen it in videos, and i have talked about it with other riders before, more mt's should be using it. also for the stepdown after thewall.

overall, for the jumps i would like them a little longer and a little more vert, but still long smooth transitions.

agreed that the stepdown after the wall should be moved downhilll.

Edited by snownskateguy

Blue either needs park passes, or make people watch a free video before going into the park. Blue has to many people with the mindset of, i paid for my ticket, i will ski where ever i want to, without thinking of all of the risks involved in park riding/skiing.

Countless people have been told to stay off landings and such and more often than not the response is "i'll ski wherever i want."

I like the fence idea though. If it works anything like the fence for the pipe it will help a ton.

Steps should definitely be shoveled A LOT MORE. For the time that the park has been opened, i think i've been there once MAYBE twice when the steps were actually shoveled off and you had to actually walk up the steps. It's a great idea, but the whole purpose is defeated when the steps are just filled in with snow and you can ride up them. Then you get all the clowns who try and side step up the steps and causing more problems then just taking off your gear.

As for the landings. Justo and i were talking about this yesterday while standing at the bottom of the last hit in the jump line. They definitely need to be steeper, and longer. For the landing on the forth hit, you get maybe 5-10 feet of space to land, before it starts to mellow out real fast. IMO they should make the jump bigger, turn it into a step up, thus giving alot more room for a bigger landing.

As for the landings. Justo and i were talking about this yesterday while standing at the bottom of the last hit in the jump line. They definitely need to be steeper, and longer. For the landing on the forth hit, you get maybe 5-10 feet of space to land, before it starts to mellow out real fast.

:D so true, i forgot to mention that.

there should just be a fence off the right side of the last jump before the wall ride. thats a spot where people wait to drop for the next jump, the fence would make sure they don't cut across the landing.

i have never seen anybody start there to hit the jump after the wallride. there is no need to if you are going to hit that jump.

kevinthomas has alot of good ideas.

ps. does anyone know what type of program blue or snowgrind or whoever uses to design there jibs? i'm taking a class now that is using solid works and it seems like it would be the perfect program to design boxes/rails/whatever with

kevinthomas has alot of good ideas.

ps. does anyone know what type of program blue or snowgrind or whoever uses to design there jibs? i'm taking a class now that is using solid works and it seems like it would be the perfect program to design boxes/rails/whatever with

snowboard park tycoon new and improved circus edition

I think that Blue should fence off their entire jump line. They could can the hip and just make that a starting ramp...of course widening it so you can use it for the left side as well. I really have speed issues on the left side, so I wish I had that hip wall to drop in from. Anyway you would start the fence from the hip onto the last jump. That way nobody can cross around in between jumps where it's blind, and it will create a path to the skier's right of the jumps for noobs to ski down. Maybe add a few rails or boxes. Also make the entrance to the starting ramp either a really steep quarterpipe type thing or maybe even stairs. I wouldn't mind taking off my skis if it means having a fully secluded jump line.

I wish they had a few tabletops as opposed to all booters..I get a kick out of all the people who hit the booters with a small amount of speed and get knuckled...wow is it painfull to get knuckled in Blues park.

All the jumps at Blue are tabletops except for one.

I'm not saying fences are unworkable, i'm saying fences like that are dangerous. Give me a hole to bail in and I'll be happy. Make it 2 foot wide so I can fit through in an emergency but it will deter most people and I'll be happy, I just don't want to end up sliding through a fence some day. But then I think people will just go up in that hole and stand there anyway.

I liked the ollie over a pit of fire entrance we talked about a few years ago, much more effective than steps.

Let me start off by saying that i think the current set up on sidewinder park is the best park i've ever skied at blue. most of the the rails are set up real well, and the jumps are decent and flow real well. that being said, here's my two cents and ideas for the jump situation at blue.

1. Crowd control - we all know that blue gets pretty crowded, especially on weekends.

Suggestions: Make sure that all entrances to sidewinder are fenced off

Make sure the steps are shoveled

2. Jump Structure - as i said before, the jumps are pretty decent.

Suggetsions: Make them bigger-all the jumps seem pretty small. Bigger spins seem a little forced even of the last one in the jump line. I think a good 45+

foot jump would be awesome, as long as the landing matches the transition of the take off.

Change the style of the jump. The last one is pretty solid, the table style one before the wall, but all the landings seem a little short, and are

pretty high impact.

Now let me state that these are just my opinions and observations. I think keith and park crue are doing an awesome job so far this year and i've been really stoked on riding at blue. However, these are just a few things i personally think could help make the park a little more fun, as well as safe, to ride.

Here's a little illustration.

in the top image, is the style jump i'm referring to that i think is really safe, and fun to ride.

the bottom image is what blue's got now (hit before wall) with the suggestion of a fenced off landing, no collisions.

1202098087-568436-600x600-1202097956jumps.jpg

the fence thing is a great idea. up at gore mountain they dont really have much of a park just two small step down jumps a 6 foot flat bar and two very mini sized battle sihp rails but anyway they had the fence thing going on and all i could say was sick.