Is Blue CLOSED???

Ski

Close the lift because of lightning!?!?!?! How dare they... This is same reason I never go to amusement parks. If I wanna ride Steel Force in an electrical storm then let me at it!!!

I don't usually get involved in these but I think Blue got you on this one Ski... :P

Close the lift because of lightning!?!?!?! How dare they... This is same reason I never go to amusement parks. If I wanna ride Steel Force in an electrical storm then let me at it!!!

I don't usually get involved in these but I think Blue got you on this one Ski... :P

No, I could care less if Blue or CB or any place closes. It's just cool that someone on here now has to shut up about closings...or at least chill about them.

But, really, Blue totally let down a lot of people by just pulling the plug. Our policy at The Hideout is to close the lifts for one hour following the last lightning strike. I think Blue should return a few dollars to all the pass holders for closing. There were probably hundreds of people willing to hit the last couple of hours. Blue didn't mention it on the website and the conditions report never changed from the morning announcement. That's too freaking lame. I was about to get in my truck and head down for last hour. Luckily, someone picked up on the 20th ring. Now, it's like we can never trust Blue to be open. They are getting more and more like CB. I think maybe the owners once skied at CB, so that must explain everything.

I'm just kidding, but that was fun to write.

i was there and it did close, around 7:30, because of lightening. conditions were HORRIBLE also.

Did I mention that you have a great username?

Ditto to both of those.

I don't personally see the point in attacking CBK everytime they decide to close, or any mountain for that matter. Most of us are snowsports enthusiasts who live in Pennsylvania or New Jersey, and for one reason or another, we decide to stay here. Buying a pass to any mountain around here comes with the risk that you're going to deal with weather that might close a mountain down. Lifts fall under the games and amusement rules in Pennsylvania, and those rules state that during a wind, rain, or electrical storm it is prudent to shut down a machine. If CBK wants to avoid a multi-million dollar lawsuit and ere on the side of caution, it is well within their right to do so.

We're not the only locals that get pissed when stuff happens at mountains that are beyond our control. On Sunday at Park City ski patrol ran out of explosives and didn't get much of the mountain open and everyone in the lift line was talking about how they aren't buying their pass there next year, yada yada... I guess its a little easier to swallow when you remember the reason they ran out is because they've been getting dumped on with snow amazing snow...

But, really, Blue totally let down a lot of people by just pulling the plug. Our policy at The Hideout is to close the lifts for one hour following the last lightning strike. I think Blue should return a few dollars to all the pass holders for closing. There were probably hundreds of people willing to hit the last couple of hours. Blue didn't mention it on the website and the conditions report never changed from the morning announcement. That's too freaking lame. I was about to get in my truck and head down for last hour. Luckily, someone picked up on the 20th ring. Now, it's like we can never trust Blue to be open. They are getting more and more like CB. I think maybe the owners once skied at CB, so that must explain everything.

damn... who next? Big Boulder? :lol:

Ditto to both of those.

I don't personally see the point in attacking CBK everytime they decide to close, or any mountain for that matter. Most of us are snowsports enthusiasts who live in Pennsylvania or New Jersey, and for one reason or another, we decide to stay here. Buying a pass to any mountain around here comes with the risk that you're going to deal with weather that might close a mountain down.

I know Elk guarantees a certain number of days open each season to pass holders. If not, they get a %age refund. Another reason to love Elk's old world charm.. :wub:

I don't personally see the point in attacking CBK everytime they decide to close, or any mountain for that matter.

It's just teasing that gets mean and out of hand. It's fine to complain about your own mountain closing because you paid your money. But we get nasty about other mountains just for the sake of feeling superior.

Re: Lightning and ski lifts--I've had two experiences. The first was at Park City, snowing so hard you couldn't see the chair in front of you but, we could see the snow light up with the flash followed by a tremendous crack of thunder and an immediate halt of the lift. Oh boy, now what do we do? As we're hanging there we're debating whether or not, if lightning strikes the cable, and we're between the strike and the charge going to ground, do we survive? Luckily after several minutes the lift started again and we headed into a lodge at the top to let the storm blow through. About a half hour later it's still snowing like crazy and the ski patrol comes in and says they're closing the mtn and will lead groups of six to the bottom. This was around noon and even though it turned into a bluebird afternoon the mtn never re-opened and no discounts were offered that we knew of.

The second time was several years later at Snowbird. Our first trip there, first run of the day, on the first tram of the day. Again snowing and blowing to beat the band, 125 people crammed in the tram nose to nose hooting and hollering about the upcoming day. Suddenly the tram comes to a complete stop about halfway to the top and you could now hear a pin drop inside the tram. Ring, ring, the operator gets a call from down below, says a word or two into the phone, hangs up and says "I guess you're wondering what's going on."(understatement of the day) he went on to explain the sensors picked up static electricity in the air and the tram had to be put on manual overide. At a super slow speed, we proceeded to the top with the tram swinging to and fro from the fierce wind gusts. We, being rookies, thought well OK we'll head into the lodge at the top and wait out the storm. Turns out there is no lodge and we fought our way through the freezing rain, sleet, snow and 50 mph winds for about an hour until we all got to the bottom to dry out. The mtn didn't close, but they did close the tram until later on in the afternoon after the winds died down.

Moral of the stories-- it's no fun being on a lift in a thunderstorm, but it's an experience that makes a great story!!

No, I could care less if Blue or CB or any place closes. It's just cool that someone on here now has to shut up about closings...or at least chill about them.

lol thanks! and yeah actually blue was handing out refund tickets so i guess it wasnt that bad.