Going back to skis and need advice.

poconoceancity

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, Poc, when I'm looking for something specific on eBay and I'm not in a rush, I just bookmark a search. Yeah, I spend way too much time on eBay, but I do it as a fund raiser for Amy's library...anyway, I'd suggest bookmarking this:

70cm junior skis

And just keeping an eye on it. There's nothing right now, but by spring there will be a dozen sets of lightly used 70cm skis with bindings mounted. They do come in modern, shaped versions, and I recommend shaped skis even for little kids. The decent price range for good used skis with bindings is $85 to $139, +/- $20 shipping. There's a limited run for 70cm skis and they sell pretty fast. You will be able to resell them for at least what you paid...but I couldn't imagine selling Ty's first 'real' skis.

I don't recall if I posted this, but here's a great Mondopoint sizing chart. I use it twice a year:

Kid Boot Sizing

Sorry if it sounds like I'm pushing something at you...I've just bought a lot of little boots and skis.

Hey, Poc, when I'm looking for something specific on eBay and I'm not in a rush, I just bookmark a search. Yeah, I spend way too much time on eBay, but I do it as a fund raiser for Amy's library...anyway, I'd suggest bookmarking this:

70cm junior skis

And just keeping an eye on it. There's nothing right now, but by spring there will be a dozen sets of lightly used 70cm skis with bindings mounted. They do come in modern, shaped versions, and I recommend shaped skis even for little kids. The decent price range for good used skis with bindings is $85 to $139, +/- $20 shipping. There's a limited run for 70cm skis and they sell pretty fast. You will be able to resell them for at least what you paid...but I couldn't imagine selling Ty's first 'real' skis.

I don't recall if I posted this, but here's a great Mondopoint sizing chart. I use it twice a year:

Kid Boot Sizing

Sorry if it sounds like I'm pushing something at you...I've just bought a lot of little boots and skis.

Not at all, I'll grab the skis when I see a pair. I'll wait till November to get the boots as kids feet grow so quickly.

Is that when Ty was 3?

Is that when Ty was 3?

Maybe 4...

I think someone had an kids boot at SIA that would change sizes as they grow, may want to check it out.

Def something to look into. We bought Ty some pretty expensive inline skates that grow three sizes and they've been great.

We rent boots from our local ski shop for the season - that way we can swap for a bigger size at no cost during the season. My daughter's boots lasted one month before she had a growth spurt and grew an entire shoe size.

POC I'm keeping my fingers crossed that your daughter has a good time on the mountain. You know kids that age - one bad fall and she's hollering to go home or she wants mommy and you're done for the day.

I wish this thread came up two weeks ago before I went to Smuggs. They just introduced a camp program for kids age 2 1/2 (yes, they are still in diapers). I would have asked the counselors how they teach kids that young to ski.

Here's a shot of the 3-5 y/o's getting on their tractor ride to head over to the learning hill which has the magic carpet for their ski lesson.

SmugglersNotch2008February018.jpg

I believe Smuggler's offers snowboarding lessons for 4 years old and the reason is that they got Burton to custom make them snowboards that small. I don't think it had anything to do with children being too young but the availability of getting snowboards that small.

We rent boots from our local ski shop for the season - that way we can swap for a bigger size at no cost during the season. My daughter's boots lasted one month before she had a growth spurt and grew an entire shoe size.

POC I'm keeping my fingers crossed that your daughter has a good time on the mountain. You know kids that age - one bad fall and she's hollering to go home or she wants mommy and you're done for the day.

I wish this thread came up two weeks ago before I went to Smuggs. They just introduced a camp program for kids age 2 1/2 (yes, they are still in diapers). I would have asked the counselors how they teach kids that young to ski.

Here's a shot of the 3-5 y/o's getting on their tractor ride to head over to the learning hill which has the magic carpet for their ski lesson.

SmugglersNotch2008February018.jpg

I believe Smuggler's offers snowboarding lessons for 4 years old and the reason is that they got Burton to custom make them snowboards that small. I don't think it had anything to do with children being too young but the availability of getting snowboards that small.

I doubt they are custom unless they are below 90cm. We have a 90cm Burton Chiclet for my year old

I guess I'm lucky that my kid never grows. But I did buy three sets of boots last summer---19.5, 20.5, and 21.5 mondo. Two were new and one is lightly used. I'd estimate I spent an average of $45 for each, delivered. When she finally grows out of the 19.5's, I'll list them as a Buy It Now for $39.

Rear entry are much easier for the first year or two, of course. The Rossignol R18 is probably the biggest selling kids boot of all time. BTW, Poc, just out of curiosity what's her shoe size?

And, yeah, I spent a lot of time driving to CB just to ski for 45 minutes. It was always a great 45 minutes, though.

But her third season on skis.

Size 6

Wow, size 6 is tiny. You might end up with Mondo 15, which is toddler 8. For some reason I vaguely remember we had her in three pairs of socks to sort of fit into boots that were too big...but it's def not hurting any kind of performance thing...I recall Rb saying he had t stick balled up newspapers in his kid's boots.

Ty was on an Apple-Rise stick at six months around our yard and at our home hill, then had her first season pass at CB at 18 months...with skiing, it's never too early.

• 2 weeks later...

my parents had to put my snow boots inside my ski boots in order for them to fit me, btw if u use the tip locks find ones that can't come off, or hope your kid isn't like me, by the time i was 2 1/2 i could get them off by shifting my legs...my parents didn't like that at all