Going back to skis and need advice.

poconoceancity

Hey all,

My oldest, Natalie will be 3 this summer and I'm going to get her on skis next year. I figure it would be better for me to also be on skis to help her learn. I skied for twenty years before jumping on a board, it's now been 7 years since I've been on skis. I'm 5 11" and 169lbs. I have no interest in the park. What would be a good ski for me to buy now at the end of the season. Also what bindings and who makes the most comfortable boots, since my feet are going to be in shock after wearing SB boots for the last 7 years. Any advice on kids skis and bindings would also be appreciated, since I should probably buy them now at the end of the season and just by her boots next fall, so they are the best size for her. Any parents ever get their kids on a board at 3, or is skis first the way to go?

Thanks

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

boots all depend on the person and their foot. you need to go somewhere and try boots for yourself. i, personally, would recommend an all mountain twin tip, but what do i know, i'm drunk right now. check out some backcountry.com cuz they always have some great deals. if i were you, i would talk to justo or somebody that works at a real good shop that could help you pick something out that fits you well. i didnt give much info, but i hope it helps you some.

As far as skis for your daughter, go to Alpine. I got Stephen skis/bindings for $199. They have a junior lease program for boots. Its $35 for the season and you also have to put down a $35 deposit. Go in November to get the boots. Then you have to return them the following Novembe and not before. I just stopped by Alpine the other day to check out the sales and I talked to a guy in both the ski and snowboard dept to see if my kids would need to upgrade for next season. Unless one of them has a major growth spurt over the summer I am going to get a 3rd season out of their board/skis. Not bad for $199 skis.

I have heard many people say that kids lack the muscle coordination for snowboarding until at least the age of 6 or 7. David started snowboarding at 7. I had Stephen on skis when he was 3, but the first season was mostly a wash. I put him in the snowmonster program all the time and he was mostly just crawling around with one ski on and eating the fake snow (yuck).

I forgot to mention to hit up Alpine soon. You know they turn into a pool/hot tub store in the off season. Are you going to get a season pass anywhere?

I'll hit Alpine this week and check it out. We are going to do Season Passes at Eagle Rock next year, since it's never crowded. I originally planned to start my kids at Split Rock, but they closed. The old BB would have been great for beginners too, but now that it's just one big park, I'll wait for them to get a little older and then will all go to JF.

What size skis for a 3 year old?

I'm not sure that they even make snowboards for children younger than 5. The orthopedist I see says that children younger than 5 lack the muscular and skeletal strength just like Barb says.

it depends on the child, first of all. and even if they lack the strength, they can still learn the technique that they will need to ski.

you're right, I am sure it does depend of the child somewhat. But I think most ski areas do not offer snowboard lessons to kids under 6. If POC wants to spend an afternoon trying to get his 3 yr old up on a board I have a feeling he will want to ski off a cliff by the end of the day. It is usually harder to teach your OWN kids to do things. They know how to play you and say they are cold, tired or just can't do it. They will see an instructor as more experienced than you and an instructor will not let them get away with the whining as much.

you're right, I am sure it does depend of the child somewhat. But I think most ski areas do not offer snowboard lessons to kids under 6. If POC wants to spend an afternoon trying to get his 3 yr old up on a board I have a feeling he will want to ski off a cliff by the end of the day. It is usually harder to teach your OWN kids to do things. They know how to play you and say they are cold, tired or just can't do it. They will see an instructor as more experienced than you and an instructor will not let them get away with the whining as much.

The plan would be to get her in to a private lesson first. If resorts allow 3 year olds in ski lessons, but require them to be 6 for Snowboard lessons, I will hold off on the board and only switch if she wants to when she's older. I miss skiing and am looking forward to getting back on a pair of skis. Now I just have to figure out what to buy. I'm thinking an all mountain twin tip around 175 in length.

The plan would be to get her in to a private lesson first. If resorts allow 3 year olds in ski lessons, but require them to be 6 for Snowboard lessons, I will hold off on the board and only switch if she wants to when she's older. I miss skiing and am looking forward to getting back on a pair of skis. Now I just have to figure out what to buy. I'm thinking an all mountain twin tip around 175 in length.

175 in length... good anywhere on the mountain.... cost effective -> http://www.backcountry.com/store/NNW0011/N...Alpine-Ski.html

I LOVE my K2 Public Enemy and they come in a 174 you can snag a pair now for around $299

I just bought these but they're a little longer than you are looking for... Noxidee bought them earlier in the season and he said he loves them...

only 6 pairs left though and going quick... -> http://www.backcountry.com/store/NNW0010/N...Alpine-Ski.html

Or if you ain't worried about cost... check out the volkl bridge!!!!

check out nestors ski mania sale in august. everything thats left over from this season goes for anywhere from 40 to 60 percent off. for just getting back on skis, like toast said, an all mountain twin like the PE, Troublemaker, or Silencer if you're looking for something a little less expensive are good calls. they're all very easy to ski, but can still rip all mountain around here, and the tails are turned up which makes skiing backwards in front of the little one that much easier. as for boots, try them on.

I switched back to skiing when my kids were 2 and 3. same similar situation if not the same. If I had it all over again, I would have bought twins right off the get go. They are much easier to maneuver around. plus.......

Lessons aside, playing "catch me" taught the kids to turn so much more than barking "turn! turn!" from behind, tying thier tips together, leashes etc. I tried them all.

Ski backwards in front of them making gradual turns and holler catch me! Some how they instinctively learn to turn, at least mine did. It made for hilarious moments when 'dad" wrecks skiing backwards. Have fun with teaching/skiing with them, they will be better than you before you know it!

BTW - if you don't have skills in skiing already, forget the advice, get them into the lesson programs.

What size skis for a 3 year old?

75cm if memory serves me right. :P

Hey, Poc, Atomic and a few others make 70cm skis. And def have a look at the Apple Rise training system---it will make your life soooo much easier, especially with the Kiddie Lift and tip clips.

If you are comfortable on eBay, that's the way to go for kid's gear. Off season, you'll pay under $100 delivered for mounted skis which you can turn around and sell for $100 at the end of next year. Boots for really little ones are easy, too, and usually under $35.

Anyway, here's a good chart that includes kids shoe sizing:

Boot sizing

My advice after 3 kids follows alot of what the others said:

you - definately all mountain twins or at least an all mountain ski with a turned up tail, you'll be skiing switch ALOT, i still choose boot comfort over performance and stick with pretty flexible intermediate boot, on family days i still do alot of standing and mushing around.

her - i did seasonal rentals until they were 8 or 9, every one of their ski and boot sizes changed EVERY YEAR, some will argue that you could find the deals to buy every year and you probably can, it was just too much work for me with 3

save your back - get one of those harnesses or even better start with a hoola hoop

lessons - i'm all about the lesson, my kids seem to respond much better to the instrcutors and a good kids program has all kind of neat tricks beyond pizza / french fries

have fun and be patient! a day on the flats watching your kid improve beats a blubird powder day! (well not really but its pretty cool!)

Just to add, Poc, I wouldn't sacrifice buying a good all-mountain ski for twin tips just to ski backwards. All skis are now twin tips, most just to a lesser degree, so the occasional times you are skiing backwards isn't an issue. My point, though, is that you shouldn't be spending much time hunched over skiing backwards. The best way to teach little ones is with tip clips and a leash. The tip clips keep the skis in a pizza and the leash will keep them speed checked and, more importantly, will teach the child turning motions. A good leash turns the child at the hips, btw. And skiing behind a kid also creates a shield, especially important because you'll be on newbie terrain.

I'd also recommend something much shorter than 175cm...I'd go with a soft flexing slalom ski. Maybe something like the Atomic SL:9 in 160cm. The short ski will make it easier to skate without poles and navigate lift lines. The trickiest part for a parent is a narrow, busy lift line and those last few yards up to where you actually catch th chair.

a day on the flats watching your kid improve beats a blubird powder day! (well not really but its pretty cool!)

:yes

just one more thing on the lessons POC - we found the group 1/2 or whole days, they called it Ski-Wee at Blue back then, to be the most effective. gets 'em going quick and the kids seem to feed off each other. its hilarious to watch! we were up to Greek Peak new york with another family with little ones a few weeks ago and the ski school was the most impressive i have seen to date anywhere. You may want to look into a weekend up there next year

Oh no not the leash...leashes are for dogs...lol

When you start having kids, you'll leash 'em. Some parents are idiots with leashes just like some snowboards are idiots and some jibbers and racers are idiots. But if it helps a kid ski better in a shorter amount of time (when done correctly), then it's a great tool. Green circles should be filled with 3 yr. kids on leashes.

When you start having kids, you'll leash 'em. Some parents are idiots with leashes just like some snowboards are idiots and some jibbers and racers are idiots. But if it helps a kid ski better in a shorter amount of time (when done correctly), then it's a great tool. Green circles should be filled with 3 yr. kids on leashes.

It really depends on the kid ski. Mine took to a leash like dogs that have never been on a leash. I guess some kids take to barking orders from behind, I personally think that kids would rather have thier teacher in front of them. BTW Nips took out a dad and kid on leash at CB in the pipe of all places.

its also fun giving them "the whip" over the booters, letting go of the leash and watching them fly!

j/k....I only remember using the leash/harness for a few days or so after they learned to stand and turn a little to be able to slow 'em down when they got out of control, still gave'em independence without having to tackle 'em or watch 'em ski into the woods! they learned to check their own speed pretty quickly...

to get kids started i do see people using leashes to support the kid like a marionette or something, doesn't seem like a good idea. i broke my back holding the ski poles for them like a water ski bar early on but a hoola hoop's the way to go!

its also fun giving them "the whip" over the booters, letting go of the leash and watching them fly!

j/k....I only remember using the leash/harness for a few days or so after they learned to stand and turn a little to be able to slow 'em down when they got out of control, still gave'em independence without having to tackle 'em or watch 'em ski into the woods! they learned to check their own speed pretty quickly...

to get kids started i do see people using leashes to support the kid like a marionette or something, doesn't seem like a good idea. i broke my back holding the ski poles for them like a water ski bar early on but a hoola hoop's the way to go!

I have never seen someone towing their kid in a hoola hoop. That I would like to see.

I'd also recommend something much shorter than 175cm...I'd go with a soft flexing slalom ski. Maybe something like the Atomic SL:9 in 160cm. The short ski will make it easier to skate without poles and navigate lift lines. The trickiest part for a parent is a narrow, busy lift line and those last few yards up to where you actually catch th chair.

Would I still be able to enjoy shorter skis when I'm out on my own after the little one has retired for the day.