Whistler BC

sexkitten

Enough out of you!! Haha. I really need some info from people I sort of know. I've read all of the online stuff and now I need PASR stuff.

Start saving, with our weak dollar you will probably have to take out a second mortgage on your house to pay for the trip. Since you have never been out west before, why not start with a trip to CO, MT, UT, or WY?

If I remember correctly...

Toast, Shadows, and I think T*Maki have been there on summer trips. Justin lived there for a couple months. Papasteeze's kids have been to camp there as well. If you don't get real responses here, I'm sure you can PM these guys with specific questions.

Since you have never been out west before, why not start with a trip to CO, MT, UT, or WY?

Whoa... yeah. Come to Colorado. I've never met or skied with you, but I can't imagine you would have a bad time at Steamboat. It's got plenty of mellow stuff, a few good steep runs, and it's known for it's great snow. It's a pretty good sized mountain so, you can explore quite a bit, and it's got all the base area niceties that seem to be up your alley.

Here is a comment from a friend who lives in the interior of BC about whistler. I think this describes it.

Cam and i just got back from 3 od the most amazing days in Whistler. When it is good there it is GOOOOOD. Not eveyone realizes that the good days are few and far between and that there are alot of grey rainy days in between. I took my sled up into the back country and was getting stuck in snow up to my armpits. Sled was completely submerged. WOW

Whistler.. go for the experience of visiting that town, not for the skiing and you won't be disappointed.

Whoa... yeah. Come to Colorado. I've never met or skied with you, but I can't imagine you would have a bad time at Steamboat. It's got plenty of mellow stuff, a few good steep runs, and it's known for it's great snow. It's a pretty good sized mountain so, you can explore quite a bit, and it's got all the base area niceties that seem to be up your alley.

This is spot on.. From what I know of you and Bob, Steamboat would be perfect.

Out West and not BC? Really? Don't forget that I like groomers and that powder kicks my ass. I'm really looking for a mountain with a bunch of long runs on which to cruise all day, a posh ass hotel to lounge in and some decent bars and restaurants close in case we do want to venture out. And money isn't really an issue since this will be "the big 3-0" trip.

Out West and not BC? Really? Don't forget that I like groomers and that powder kicks my ass. I'm really looking for a mountain with a bunch of long runs on which to cruise all day, a posh ass hotel to lounge in and some decent bars and restaurants close in case we do want to venture out. And money isn't really an issue since this will be "the big 3-0" trip.

So based on that I would suggest Steamboat. Did I mention they have lodges at the hot springs?

This is spot on.. From what I know of you and Bob, Steamboat would be perfect.

SK, i dont think Whistler is for you. no offense, but i dont think you could handle it and you could get a lot more out of your money somewhere else that where you could take advantage of the whole mountain.

i have been there and i'll probably be going back again in 2 months, so i kinda have an idea of how the place is. i just think there are better places out west that fit your ability.

SK, i dont think Whistler is for you. no offense, but i dont think you could handle it and you could get a lot more out of your money somewhere else that where you could take advantage of the whole mountain.

i have been there and i'll probably be going back again in 2 months, so i kinda have an idea of how the place is. i just think there are better places out west that fit your ability.

No offense taken. That's the kind of info I am looking for actually. I recognize that I'm not a pro and I'd hate to dump a bunch of cash on a trip to a mountain that, for the most part, scares the crap out of me.

No offense taken. That's the kind of info I am looking for actually. I recognize that I'm not a pro and I'd hate to dump a bunch of cash on a trip to a mountain that, for the most part, scares the crap out of me.

i have never been to Steamboat, but i hear a lot of good things about it and it seems like a place that you would really enjoy. great skiing, great snow, awesome groomers, and good night life. maybe look into places along the lines of Steamboat, and plan a trip to Whistler when you feel a little more comfortable with your ability. yeah, the nightlife in Whistler is second to none, but you are there to ski.

We only go out the night before our day off and the last night. Ski (school) nights we're in bed by 10.

Not that this should be a deal breaker, but unless you spend a week or more out here, you will not be aclimated (sp?), which means you will get winded faster, drunk faster and if you get altitude sickness bad, then a headache. Most people who drink lots of water can avoid the headache part.

Not that this should be a deal breaker, but unless you spend a week or more out here, you will not be aclimated (sp?), which means you will get winded faster, drunk faster and if you get altitude sickness bad, then a headache. Most people who drink lots of water can avoid the headache part.

that all depends on the person and if they are in relatively decent shape. i really haven't had any issues out west or in BC when skiing or hiking... not that were noticable to me anyway.

Whistlers base area is almost at sea level. I'm not sure what other western resorts you've been to, but altitude is for real. I'm aclimated and in pretty good shape, and if I spend a lot of time hiking 2 thousand or more feet higher than where I sleep at I breathe much heavier than I would otherwise. When Shadows got here he claimed he wasn't having any problem with the altitude. We rode/hiked some of the same terrain about a week ago and he noticed how much easier it was because he was aclimated.

You WILL notice the difference if you are drinking at altitude.

I loved the town of Whistler, but I didn't go on the mountain. There is so much to do there besides skiing and everyone who is there is into outdoor activities. The place is extremely clean, you don't trip over homeless people etc. But if you are going just for the skiing I would say check out a US location first. THat Whistler vacation was the most expensive I have ever taken. Just the airfare to Vancouver is over $500 per person. And from what I heard from talking to locals, there are not too many sunny days. One local said that is what he missed the most about living there ; all the clouds and grey skies.

As it were I'm also in the process of planning a 2009 trip. I have been fortunate enough to have taken a few trips out to whistler/Blackcomb and can, without a doubt say it is my favorite area. That said the mountains ski a lot different in different weather conditions. I'll try to explain later... but, they are a big enough that you can find somewhere ski no matter the conditions.

1. Getting there.

I've always flown into Vancouver. It is a really nice city. The climate is temperate making it mild even in the winters so if you can forgo getting up to the mountain (which I admit will be hard to do) it is a fun city to explore. They have a nice waterfront area that you can walk around. If the weather is nice there will be street performers, artists, ect. out who are in some cases pretty talented. The city also has a lot of parks which you can visit. Last time I was there was during March I think and we cruised around checked the sites. People actually live "downtown" making it a fairly vibrant. I don't recall much difficulty getting around the town via car or public transport.

As for getting up to the resort you whether you go via car or bus you need drive up during the day time. The views looking over the sound and the fjords are incredible. I really can't do it justice. When I was looking this year I found some car rental companies that do one way rentals from YVR to Whistler. (I think Avis). You can also catch a shuttle bus up. It will take about 1.5 hours (give or take) to reach the resort. Once you get to resort there you don't really need a car so renting one for the duration of your stay isn't really necessary.

2. Where to stay.

There are really three types of places you can stay. 1. ski-on/off condo; 2. hotel in the village; and 3. shuttle accessible housing. I've done all three and unless you can't avoid it, I would try to stay away from #3. The layout of the area makes either 1 or 2 so nice that it gets old having to catch a shuttle every time you need to go somewhere. But, that isn't necessarily germane to W/BC and pretty much applies everywhere I suppose.

WHISTLER VILLAGE.

This is the heart of the action. The way the mountain is set up the base areas for both mountains converge. To the right you can hop the gondola to Blackcomb or to the left you can hop the gondola or chair to Whistler. I can't stress enough how convenient having this choice makes your trip. If the weather is stormy you probably want to steer toward Blackcomb because you will be skiing more in the trees. The big draw to whistler is the bowls/above the tree line skiing. When it is a whiteout you have no reference points above the trees. B/c some of the terrain is pretty hairy you can get in trouble pretty quick w/o depth perception. That said if its nasty, skiing off the creekside gondola probably isn

Deer Valley sounds like that place for you. They groom like it is their ticket to heaven, long trails that are easy to go fast on and plush accomidations. If you want to step it up a little DV would be ok for that too. DV is in Park City not SLC so there is a ton of stuff to do with really nice resturants and bars. The best part is unlike CO, DV is at most an hour from the airport.

Whistler is a crap shoot, good weather and it can be magical but rain can and does fuck that up alot.

I guess if money isn't and issue look at Euro, St. Anton or Cham would really rock your world and they have realllllllyyyyy long trails. Food and drink are top notch and the hotels can get as fancy as you like.

Having been to both Whistler and Colorado it is like comparing apples and oranges on the acclimation issue. If you get altitude sickness at blue mtn then whistler is not for you. The base is only at about 2000 feet. The top is right under 8000. The top of Blackcomb is about equal to the base areas in Colorado. That said skiing from the top of Blackcomb you will be out of breath, not b/c of the altitude, but the 5K vertical. With a couple rest stops it can easily take 20+ min to get down.

I didn't have any issues with acclimation and I am usually on my ass the first day/night in colorado.

Deer Valley sounds like that place for you. They groom like it is their ticket to heaven, long trails that are easy to go fast on and plush accomidations. If you want to step it up a little DV would be ok for that too. DV is in Park City not SLC so there is a ton of stuff to do with really nice resturants and bars. The best part is unlike CO, DV is at most an hour from the airport.

Whistler is a crap shoot, good weather and it can be magical but rain can and does fuck that up alot.

I guess if money isn't and issue look at Euro, St. Anton or Cham would really rock your world and they have realllllllyyyyy long trails. Food and drink are top notch and the hotels can get as fancy as you like.

yeah park city is a great little town. forgot about that as well. they have great restraunts, shops, bars, and they have a ton of galleries that are really cool to check out. they have a lot of great artists, sculpters, photographers living in that area that show off what great work they do. plus, they have a lift and a trail that takes you right into town.

Out West and not BC? Really?

Really... For the best all round ski experience go to Colorado or Park City. Steamboat will be an absolute perfect trip for your first trip. Book for mid feb to beginning of march. Book ski in, ski out. Fly directly into Hayden, use a shuttle. The terrain is mellow at the boat. The atmosphere is more family oriented, however you will find plenty of bars. Booking entirely through Intrawest usually offers you more deals with their partners.

Utah offers about the same with a bit more annual snowfall. I think PC gets a lot more crowded though, both are similar in elevation PC offers more difficult terrain and the trees are naturally spaced farther apart if you dare, and you will. The snow is generally a bit lighter than Steamboat according to the stats.

Leave Whistler for another time would be my suggestion. Chances are every future trip will pale in comparison with epic conditions, either positive or negative. there doesn't seem to be middle ground with whistler. Whereas at Steamboat, you will likey have bluebird days with a couple inches of snow at night to freshen things up on regular basis.

Not that this should be a deal breaker, but unless you spend a week or more out here, you will not be aclimated (sp?), which means you will get winded faster, drunk faster and if you get altitude sickness bad, then a headache.

Try to plan your trip to arrive early in the morning to have the extra day to acclimate. Glen is right. Steamboat and Park City are both lower in elevation compared to someof the other Colorado destination resorts.

that all depends on the person and if they are in relatively decent shape. i really haven't had any issues out west or in BC when skiing or hiking... not that were noticable to me anyway.

over 7000, we start feeling it. Copper at 9000 definatly gave us headaches. Interesting that the kids weren't affect at an early age but lately it is wiping them out the first day. Or at least it hit nips this year.