Crash Pads

ectobar

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wear just the ass/hip ones. they are pretty light in terms of protection compared to some i've seen out there, but i swear by them. i've have a few close calls landing on my tail bone on rails/jumps and would be willing to bet my tailbone would have been broken without them. if anything keeps your ass warmer when you sit down and strap in.

I haven't laid out for anything other than wrist guards and a helmet, but I've definitely had some hard hits to my tail bone too that end your day prematurely and might be avoidable with crash pads.

Another good thing to do is just hit rails when it is warm. Sun will soften up the snow and your landing will be a lot less painful. I mostly rode after school in high school and learning to ride rails at night was painful since everything iced up so much.

CRASH PADS SAVED ME SO MANY TIMES!

seriously they are the best thing ive bought no more huge bruises. they dont restrict function at all they make ur butt look a tad big but its completely worth it. id get just the shorts becuase i find very rarly i hit anything below my knees

The most common serious snowboard injury is a broken wrist.

Wear armor. You'll never regret it on hardpack.

I wear:

Standard helmet with earpad speakers.

Roller blade knee pads, UNDER the snow pants, over the base layers.

Roller blade wrist guards..... just the plastic palm plate.....

cut it out of the velcro assembly then wear a standard thin glove liner then big mittens.

Wear the plastic palm plate in between the glove liner and the mitten.

You can slide it in and out quick enough when you strap in.

I found using wrist guards with gloves never fit and could never strap in when wearing complete

wrist guards.

You can buy gloves and mittens with builtin plastic armor but I just couldn't see spending

$35 on mittens I didn't like just to get the armor.

$20 buys a set of roller blade armor.... knee pads, wrists guards, even elbow pads.

Wear mittens instead of gloves.

You don't break fingers when you fall in mittens...your fingers stay together.

I don't wear elbow pads or a hockey hip check guard but I recommend you do if you

expect to slam elbows or tailbone on hardpack.

If I started dropping substantial things I'd get a back plate and some butt pads. Only for like 50 foot plus drops though. I've never worn crash pads on the hips and ass but I've always wanted to score a pair. I spent a lot of time in the summer downhill mountain biking, which makes even hardpack snow seem like a down pillow. For biking I wear the whole kit. Full arm, chest, shin, knee, back armor, and a full face helmet. Skiing I just wear the lid.

I digress, for hitting rails and stuff definitely snag some of the hip and butt crash pads. They aren't all that expensive for what they are either...

yea i am thinking about getting some or the shorts, shin padding would be nice too cuz i messed ym shins up trying to learn to get onto a rail urban set up.

any company suggestions, nick?

they're all pretty much the same. i think mine are pro-tec. just try some on and find the pair that isn't uncomfortable to move around in. they are such a sound investment too. i think mine were like 40bucks new and they are going into their 6-7 season now i think.

just putting that plate in there is doing NOTHING for you. the reason those wrist gaurds worked was because they were built into the straps that went around your wrist. and yes, those wrist guards are a death wish for your wrist (if they were still in the straps).

Perhaps roller blade wrist guards won't stop you from breaking your wrist but

any protection is better than no protection and telling anyone to never wear them isn't good advice.

Forgetting the rail grinding and ski jumping , most new kids who catch a toe side edge and slam

down on the ice would benefit from wearing roller blade wrist guards, knee pads, and a helmet.

Catching a heel side edge makes a backward fall and a tailbone, elbows , head slam.

So yea, wear all the armor you can even if its just rollerblade padding.

If you bounce back up every time you fall you won't just sit on the hardpack watching everyone

else fly by.Too many kids fall, feel pain and don't want to fall again, so they don't just jump up and try again. Its just too easy to stay down.

Skiers on the other hand will fall.... collect the yardsale... stand up and by the nature of being up...

try and go some more down the hill.

The more you armor up the more you get up and go again.

Its what makes you fearless. You don't just keep getting hurt by hard slams again and again.

My advice about inserting the plates into mittens may not work for everyone but it sure has saved

my wrists a few times.

dont get crash pads unless your going really big....nothing in PA requires crash pads...if your careful and know what your doing you should be fine...taking a spill here and there is apart of the sport and wearing padding gives you a sense of invincibility....not wearing pads shows confidence in your ability, this is just my opinion...if your scared of getting hurt or if you have any thought that you may get hurt you probably shouldn't be attempting it. be safe, have fun, and knows your limits.....

dont get crash pads unless your going really big....nothing in PA requires crash pads...if your careful and know what your doing you should be fine...taking a spill here and there is apart of the sport and wearing padding gives you a sense of invincibility....not wearing pads shows confidence in your ability, this is just my opinion...if your scared of getting hurt or if you have any thought that you may get hurt you probably shouldn't be attempting it. be safe, have fun, and knows your limits.....

if your trying to progress you kinda haveto try things even when you are scared out of your mind. crashpads help me ba able to fall 10 times before i get it and keep getting up feeling good which makes learning tricks alot faster

thats stupid. you can be confident as hell and still wear them to learn new stuff. a lot of the best skiers and riders around wear them and they are more than confident in themselves. crash pads aren't just for "going big", they can also be used for learning new things, and if you think that nothing in PA requires crash pads, then you haven't left your front door. this is the ice coast.

wearing crash pads is like a safety. the same reason we wear seatbelts in cars, put on a helmet when we hit the road or trails on a bike or the slopes on skis, or slip on a rubber before fucking a chick. its a safety.

wow talk about ignorance. most of the times i've been glad to have my pads on where doing things that i did a million times before. you never know when your going to catch an edge at the lip of a jump, or hit a dry spot on a rail. accidents happen, and i like to be able to pop back up after taking a fall on something small/within my skill set, instead of laying there in pain. that same theory went into my decision to start wearing a helmet many seasons ago, when all my buddies were telling me i was a fag for it. i fell a few times hitting patches of ice that i failed to see and ended up with a concussion. just from casually riding a blue square! since i've had my helmet and crash pads i have not suffered a single injury that made me end my day early, and that includes when i wrapped myself around a tree last season at WP.

it still comes down to opinion though i suppose, but i've got to be honest if you aren't falling you aren't pushing yourself. that was the theory i was taught growing up playing ice hockey, and i think it applies here too.

Edited by nick malozzi