Crash Pads

ectobar

When you go north or west, the snow is softer, the place is less crowded, it seems like you need them less.

You are failing to account for Texans.

Shopey, if you've never had a day where you had to pack it in early because you got hurt, you aren't pushing yourself as much as others here. That's fine, progress at your own rate. For those that are pushing themselves like that, it keeps them on the hill longer. So a short day turns into a longer day, and a break turns into a bruise. You still "man up" just as much, but you notch down the severity of each injury. Surprisingly being a snow sports aren't about being the biggest cowboy on the hill. It's all personal choice, but calling people pussies for not making the same choice is pretty lame. Also, on skis your tailbone is pretty protected. Bruised tailbones take me off the slopes every season. You would think I would learn my lesson and just get ass pads.

x2

Than you for summing up what I was trying to say in a much more eloquent way. If you don't want to wear them fine, but don't act like your better then someone else because you don't.

Edited by nick malozzi

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its a personal choice. I have been skiing for 10 years and have never been hurt once. I stay in good shape and stretch before i go out every time. And no i dont just carve around the mountain...i mainly stay in sidewinder park all day and I am comfortable with every feature that has been in there. I have entered skiercross for the past 4 years with no injury problems. never wearing crash pads once in my life. I just believe there is no need for them here in pa...If you are aware of your body and know how to fall of course you may get a bruise here and there but thats part of the sport of freestyle skiing. Why minimize your accomplishments by taking all the risk away? I ski for the thrill and going in there with a body suit of pads is ridiculous....in my opinion you have to be a pretty big pussy to wear pads at blue mt.....i know all you guys who wear these pads are gonna hate on this haha but its just my opinion sorry

do you ever fall? i've been skiing at blue for 20 years, and have ridden with crash pads for about the past 6 or so. before they had a park, it was never really an issue, but since they've turned sidewinder into a park, and it gets way too much uncontrolled traffic, landings on their excuses for jumps get a little bit icy. i guess since you don't fall it doesnt matter, but taking one to your hip on those wonderfully bumpy, rutted out, icy landings really doesnt feel that good. i've bruised my hip to the point where it was difficult to put on anything but sweatpants because it was so swollen, and that was wearing crash pads. i'd rather not have to worry about how that would have turned out if i didnt have them on. i really don't understand your argument that it makes you a pussy for wearing them at all. it's proven that wearing them keeps you from getting injured as severely as if you didnt have them. just because there has not been 17 medical studies claiming it, does not mean its not true. if you're riding park at all, its really not a bad idea to wear them, since they don't restrict your movement, can't be noticed under a baggy pair of pants, keep your legs warmer, and keep you from getting bone bruises on your hips or tailbones that would otherwise take you off the hill. if you don't see the benefits, then i doubt anyone will feel bad when they see you limping off the hill because you slid out trying a back switchup on a flat down rail only to catch the corner of the thing right on your hip.

do you ever fall? i've been skiing at blue for 20 years, and have ridden with crash pads for about the past 6 or so. before they had a park, it was never really an issue, but since they've turned sidewinder into a park, and it gets way too much uncontrolled traffic, landings on their excuses for jumps get a little bit icy. i guess since you don't fall it doesnt matter, but taking one to your hip on those wonderfully bumpy, rutted out, icy landings really doesnt feel that good. i've bruised my hip to the point where it was difficult to put on anything but sweatpants because it was so swollen, and that was wearing crash pads. i'd rather not have to worry about how that would have turned out if i didnt have them on. i really don't understand your argument that it makes you a pussy for wearing them at all. it's proven that wearing them keeps you from getting injured as severely as if you didnt have them. just because there has not been 17 medical studies claiming it, does not mean its not true. if you're riding park at all, its really not a bad idea to wear them, since they don't restrict your movement, can't be noticed under a baggy pair of pants, keep your legs warmer, and keep you from getting bone bruises on your hips or tailbones that would otherwise take you off the hill. if you don't see the benefits, then i doubt anyone will feel bad when they see you limping off the hill because you slid out trying a back switchup on a flat down rail only to catch the corner of the thing right on your hip.

I'm surprised you guys wear them because we only sold a handful a year. I would say 10-20 helmets per wrist guard or more, and 10 wrist guards for every crash pad. I'm not knocking you for it because I've thought about it but just never put the money down, maybe I will this year. I was always worried about it limiting mobility and didn't know anyone who rode with them so I had no reviews.

I have 2 days that I had to leave the hill from tail bone hits. One was that big down-flat-down mountain creek used to have. Tried to go off the flat and clear the down, caught the last few feet to the back of my knees and landed on my tail bone in a way I've never done before or since. It hurt more than anything I've ever done before and I've had been to the hospital enough times in my life to make that claim. The other time I way over cleared a decent jump at MC and started rolling down the windows and somehow the very first thing to hit the ground was my ass in the flatland that just wrecked me. I couldn't sit in class for a couple days it was funny as hell. My friends nick named that jump Bubba. Not sure if crash pads would have helped in the 2nd case but I'm sure in the first it would have.

Also, R2 is insane. Keep posting man.

Being on the snow every day all winter and having taught so many beginners I've seen

way too many very bad falls that could have ended a lot better if they just wore the most

basic padding..... stuff most kids already have... skate helmets and wrist guards and knee pads.

You don't have to be jumping or rail grinding advanced tricks to get busted up real bad.

I saw a girl break a wrist on Powder Puff last year.

Beginners slam really bad and always put their hands out to break the fall.

Most injuries happen to the kids that never took a lesson and just go ride.

There was a time, long ago, where skiing was about being in control and staying within your

ability zone.

Now it seems that flying like superman is the goal and forget learning anything, just go for it.

Its not Nintendo. There is no RESET and just start the game again.

If you crash you don't get to play anymore. The game is over. For some , forever.

Being on the snow every day all winter and having taught so many beginners I've seen

way too many very bad falls that could have ended a lot better if they just wore the most

basic padding..... stuff most kids already have... skate helmets and wrist guards and knee pads.

You don't have to be jumping or rail grinding advanced tricks to get busted up real bad.

I saw a girl break a wrist on Powder Puff last year.

Beginners slam really bad and always put their hands out to break the fall.

Most injuries happen to the kids that never took a lesson and just go ride.

There was a time, long ago, where skiing was about being in control and staying within your

ability zone.

Now it seems that flying like superman is the goal and forget learning anything, just go for it.

Its not Nintendo. There is no RESET and just start the game again.

If you crash you don't get to play anymore. The game is over. For some , forever.

One tip I have found to help people I was teaching is to make them keep their hands in fists. This way when they fall there is less leverage on the wrist due to the fingers bending backwards. It really helps.

I broke my tailbone the first season I learned to snowboard. I fell a lot and didn't know how to stop so I would either fall to my knees or on my butt. Then I bought an AZZPAD which looks absolutely rediculous but helped a lot. Plus if you sit down to strap in it keeps your butt warm and dry. If someone had told me to invest in one when I started I'm sure it would have made a big difference. After almost 3 years I still can't kayak for more than an hour or take long car rides with out it bothering me. The first few times I go out this season I will wear it until I get my snowboard legs back. If you see me you can point and laugh.

It is proven that bruises and minor fractures actually grow back tougher than before.

HORSE SHIT

Joints don't heal tougher. Tendons don't heal tougher. Your tailbone doesn't heal tougher.

I don't care how tough you are, if you are brick layer and you rip up your joints you won't be able

to do your job anymore if you can't bend down to pick up a brick because you ruined a hand or

an elbow or your back.

Smash your tailbone and forget doing a desk job, or driving the rest of your life because sitting is very

painful.

Every injury you have when you are young is one more pain you will have when you are older.

I'm not talking 50 or 60 years older.

I'm talking about being 30 years old and limping because a busted up knee never is the same again

after a bad fall on hardpack.

Every time it rains you get joint pain in elbows, back, hip, knees that you beat up when you were

a young fool smashing the shit out of yourself with no regard to what happens later.

Wear all the armor you can when you are young and you will still ride the snow when you get old

and have all the time in the world to play on the snow.

Yea I don't believe that either - look at professional sports. You never hear anyone say "Well he'll come back stronger than before because the body heals better than before"

What you are thinking of is how skeletons are continually regrowing, and will adjust a bit to what you do. Thats how the pros take slams much harder than things we do and avoid getting hurt, their bodies are used to it. But if you actually break something, it is going to be weak. And then things go downhill real fast. My room mate broke his arm skateboarding, and then a year later he hurt it on a pretty standard surfing slam. And then he broke it a third time 2 years later basically tripping. It did NOT get stronger over time, and now he has the titanium rod with 16 screws and the double scar up his arm to prove it.

HORSE SHIT

Joints don't heal tougher. Tendons don't heal tougher. Your tailbone doesn't heal tougher.

I don't care how tough you are, if you are brick layer and you rip up your joints you won't be able

to do your job anymore if you can't bend down to pick up a brick because you ruined a hand or

an elbow or your back.

Smash your tailbone and forget doing a desk job, or driving the rest of your life because sitting is very

painful.

Every injury you have when you are young is one more pain you will have when you are older.

I'm not talking 50 or 60 years older.

I'm talking about being 30 years old and limping because a busted up knee never is the same again

after a bad fall on hardpack.

Every time it rains you get joint pain in elbows, back, hip, knees that you beat up when you were

a young fool smashing the shit out of yourself with no regard to what happens later.

Wear all the armor you can when you are young and you will still ride the snow when you get old

and have all the time in the world to play on the snow.

its true. you break a bone and it is going to be stronger where you broke it than the rest of the bone. so keep your horse shit to a minimum.

its true. you break a bone and it is going to be stronger where you broke it than the rest of the bone. so keep your horse shit to a minimum.

I took it as the bone grows back BIGGER in that area, but not necessarily stronger. If they were in fact stronger wouldn't you see a smaller number of re-fractures than you do? Why do so many people break the same bone over and over again after they have done it once?

I took it as the bone grows back BIGGER in that area, but not necessarily stronger. If they were in fact stronger wouldn't you see a smaller number of re-fractures than you do? Why do so many people break the same bone over and over again after they have done it once?

its very rare for a healthy bone to break in the exact same location that it has before and is more likely to break directly on either side of the break because of the strength that the repaired area has. you can break the same bone 20 times, but it doesnt mean that it will be in the same place all 20 times. also, it depends on the type of fracture to the bone and obviously if there are any underlying conditions that would debilitate the strength of the bone.

but anyway, who cares if you break a bone? just man up and bite your lip until the pain goes away. crash pads and broken bones are for girls, people who arent confident, and people scared of bruises.

Edited by toast21602

its very rare for a healthy bone to break in the exact same location that it has before and is more likely to break directly on either side of the break because of the strength that the repaired area has. you can break the same bone 20 times, but it doesnt mean that it will be in the same place all 20 times. also, it depends on the type of fracture to the bone and obviously if there are any underlying conditions that would debilitate the strength of the bone.

Ah ok. I don't know facts on it I'm just going by what has happened to most of my friends. All of my breaks have been single occurrences (knock on wood).

but anyway, who cares if you break a bone? just man up and bite your lip until the pain goes away. crash pads and broken bones are for girls, people who arent confident, and people scared of bruises.

I actually stick my arms out when I fall in an attempt to break MORE bones, because chicks dig scars.